Favourite pianist who emerged in 1st decade of 21st Century

Started by Hobby, Today at 05:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobby

I became a member GMG just over three years ago. The combination of the GMG and first accessing Qobuz as a streaming service helped keep me engaged and sane during enforced lockdowns, exacerbated by a hernia that could not get treated for months due to COVID restrictions. I have greatly enjoyed reading the wisdom and learnt a great deal, though some of the petty spats are irritating.

I thought it would be fun and illuminating to start a thread on this topic. Pianists who emerged into the recording domain in the first decade of the 21st century have had about 15 to 25 years to build up a recorded repertoire. As a result I expect a significant range of composers, preferably including both core repertoire and some less well known composers. Through GMG I have had a chance to discover several wonderful pianists who fit the bill - examples being Kosuge, Lucchesini, Schuch and Chamayou. As always members will welcome some flexibility at the margins - selected favourites might have an early recording just before 2000. Equally my intention is to include and welcome diversity across solo piano, chamber music and concertos.

Hobby

Of course would also be expected to hear reasons for the choice of favourites and possibly suggestions for recording you would most like them to add to their repertoire.
All views will be subjective (except possibly Todd?) and based on making a connection with the pianist. I assume that having heard them live might help inform subjective judgements.

Atriod

Easily Dina Ugorskaja.

Lucchesini had been making recordings in the 80s and 90s.

Hobby

Hobby

My own favourite is comfortably Steven Osborne who plays with great depth and precision. I base my opinion partly on having seen him perform quite a few times and having accumulated virtually all his recordings on CD from Hyperion. Luckily these are now available on streaming services. In these pages his playing has sometimes been referred to as 'museum quality' - superb pianism and virtuosity in service of the music should qualify for this as an accolade, but it is a 21st century museum and not rigid or fusty. His solo recordings span a considerable repertoire with some emphasis on 20th century composers - Kapustin, Messiaen, Debussy, Medtner, Tippett, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Prokofiev, Crumb, and Feldman; 19th century solo works include Beethoven (a superb Hammerklavier), Alkan, Schubert, Mussorgsky. He has collaborations with cellists Gebhardt (Schnittke, Shostakovich, Britten, Alkan and Chopin) and Rivinius (Schumann); duo pianists Roscoe (Messiaen) and Lewis (Schubert and French), violinist Ibragimova (Prokofiev) and clarinettist Johnson (Brahms and Rosza). His orchestral pieces include Tippett, Britten, Messiaen ( Turangalila and Canyons), Stravinsky, Falla and Ravel. What a range, with every thing played with care, fidelity to the score, and virtuosity.

Mandryka

I saw Steven Osborne for the first time in the Edinburgh Festival around 1990. He emerged with his Messiaen I'd say.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Hobby on Today at 05:37:12 AMI became a member GMG just over three years ago. The combination of the GMG and first accessing Qobuz as a streaming service helped keep me engaged and sane during enforced lockdowns, exacerbated by a hernia that could not get treated for months due to COVID restrictions. I have greatly enjoyed reading the wisdom and learnt a great deal, though some of the petty spats are irritating.

I thought it would be fun and illuminating to start a thread on this topic. Pianists who emerged into the recording domain in the first decade of the 21st century have had about 15 to 25 years to build up a recorded repertoire. As a result I expect a significant range of composers, preferably including both core repertoire and some less well known composers. Through GMG I have had a chance to discover several wonderful pianists who fit the bill - examples being Kosuge, Lucchesini, Schuch and Chamayou. As always members will welcome some flexibility at the margins - selected favourites might have an early recording just before 2000. Equally my intention is to include and welcome diversity across solo piano, chamber music and concertos.

Tobias Koch. Tom Beghin.

Hobby

Quote from: Mandryka on Today at 06:39:30 AMI saw Steven Osborne for the first time in the Edinburgh Festival around 1990. He emerged with his Messiaen I'd say.

I first saw him there in 2002, performing a wonderful quartet for the end of time in a late night concert and Brahms and Ravel trios in Queens Hall. 2002 is when his first Messiaen recording of Vingt Regards was issued.

Mandryka

Quote from: Hobby on Today at 07:07:14 AMI first saw him there in 2002, performing a wonderful quartet for the end of time in a late night concert and Brahms and Ravel trios in Queens Hall. 2002 is when his first Messiaen recording of Vingt Regards was issued.

Gosh -- I thought the Messiaen was earlier than that!  Time plays tricks on you.