Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: George on July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM
Originally, I had the idea of starting a thread about creating a new box set of Beethoven's 32 sonatas by 32 different pianists.

I posted a list of my favorites in each (below) and tried to whittle it down unsuccessfully.

I decided it was too narrow a topic, so I have changed the topic to simply be "Beethoven's 32 Sonatas" so that we can have a thread to discuss anything in regards to these incredible works. Feel free to post reviews, your favorites, questions, etc.  :)

Excellent thread George! :)

I'm not very knowledgeable on the LvB sonatas - I've had an episode of several years that I was off piano solo repertoire altogether - but I'm catching up now!  ;D However, now my interest is back, it seems to shift towards HIP performances. As you know, I'm very much into Paul Komen's LvB recordings lately.
All this has not put me of the "regular" piano recordings, but does affect my taste in these.

Browsing to your list I noticed some of my own favourites like Schnabel, Solomon and Kempff. Though my appreciation for Kempff seems to be fading a bit... Annie Fischer is prominently present in your list - I heard her Beethoven a few times and found it very attractive - "Schumannesque" I would say. Need to check her LvB some time!. That goes for Backhaus too - are you refering to his first LvB cycle or his second?

Q

Scriptavolant

I've listened - following George's list - to the late three sonatas interpreted by Schnabel, Gulda Serkin, Pollini, Kempff, Richter, Yudina and Brendel.
Neither of these sounded "wrong" or plain inferior to another one considering the pianist relationship with the music; but if I should rate them on my taste, I'd say that Richter is the only one who almost disappointed me - some passages are blury, he takes the Allegro Molto from Op. 110 with exhausting slowness. Schnabel is the more literally visionary interpreter, so maybe Schnabel's late 3 sonatas may be considered quite philological, considering the adherence to the original poetical issue.

George

Quote from: Que on July 24, 2007, 12:17:05 AM
Excellent thread George! :)

Thanks!

I'm not very knowledgeable on the LvB sonatas - I've had an episode of several years that I was off piano solo repertoire altogether - but I'm catching up now!  ;D However, now my interest is back, it seems to shift towards HIP performances. As you know, I'm very much into Paul Komen's LvB recordings lately.
All this has not put me of the "regular" piano recordings, but does affect my taste in these.

Yes, I hope to get Brautigam's cycle once it is finished.

Browsing to your list I noticed some of my own favourites like Schnabel, Solomon and Kempff. Though my appreciation for Kempff seems to be fading a bit... Annie Fischer is prominently present in your list - I heard her Beethoven a few times and found it very attractive - "Schumannesque" I would say. Need to check her LvB some time!. That goes for Backhaus too - are you refering to his first LvB cycle or his second?

Q

Hold off on Annie, if you can, as I may be able to help you out there. The Backhaus is from the stereo.

George

Quote from: Scriptavolant on July 24, 2007, 04:42:41 AM
I've listened - following George's list - to the late three sonatas interpreted by Schnabel, Gulda Serkin, Pollini, Kempff, Richter, Yudina and Brendel.
Neither of these sounded "wrong" or plain inferior to another one considering the pianist relationship with the music; but if I should rate them on my taste, I'd say that Richter is the only one who almost disappointed me - some passages are blury, he takes the Allegro Molto from Op. 110 with exhausting slowness. Schnabel is the more literally visionary interpreter, so maybe Schnabel's late 3 sonatas may be considered quite philological, considering the adherence to the original poetical issue.

Which Richter did you hear?

Scriptavolant

Quote from: George on July 24, 2007, 05:33:50 AM
Which Richter did you hear?

Sviatoslav, the pianist.  :D

(It's hard to know, it is a downloaded set including Eroica and Diabelli Variations and some other piano sonata. No dates or labels were added to the set unfortunately.)

Larry Rinkel

No mention here so far of Charles Rosen, whose late sonatas I very much like, or Eric Heidsieck.

Scriptavolant

Charles Rosen's Beethoven seems very hard to trace. I'm sure George was looking for the Rosen, so did I with no success.

premont

Quote from: Scriptavolant on July 24, 2007, 10:06:09 AM
Charles Rosen's Beethoven seems very hard to trace. I'm sure George was looking for the Rosen, so did I with no success.

Rosens late LvB sonatas nos: 27-32 incl. are contained in the Sony 60 CD LvB masterworks-box, price 40 Euro´s:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/1028313
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: aquariuswb on July 24, 2007, 10:17:27 AM
Or:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Ludwig-van/dp/B00000291P

But this offer from Amazon is second hand and more expensive ($60). And in the Sony box you get a lot of very interesting recordings in the bargain, e.g. Zinman´s Symphonies, Concertos and Ouvertures.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aquablob

sidoze

Quote from: Holden on July 23, 2007, 12:43:07 PM
Op 111 Arrau (DVD)

There is something indescribably special about watching this performance. Only word I can come up with is the old hackneyed 'spiritual'. It gives a wonderful demonstration of how his hands pretty much knead the keys and the way he uses his arm weight. In fact I think it's one of those performances which will seem revelatory to people who dislike Arrau, just like the 1960 live Chopin Preludes.

aquablob

Quote from: sidoze on July 24, 2007, 01:47:56 PM
There is something indescribably special about watching this performance. Only word I can come up with is the old hackneyed 'spiritual'. It gives a wonderful demonstration of how his hands pretty much knead the keys and the way he uses his arm weight. In fact I think it's one of those performances which will seem revelatory to people who dislike Arrau, just like the 1960 live Chopin Preludes.

I've only seen it on YouTube, but I definitely agree (and likewise about the live Preludes).

George

Quote from: aquariuswb on July 24, 2007, 06:08:11 PM
I've only seen it on YouTube, but I definitely agree (and likewise about the live Preludes).

I'm watching it now (didn't know it was on youtube). Nice stuff! Why is it that the video rarely synchs up with the audio on youtube?

Check PM?

Steve

Did Serkin record a complete cycle?

aquablob

Steve

Quote from: aquariuswb on July 24, 2007, 06:46:40 PM
Nope

That's too bad. Thanks for the response, though. Which of them did he put on record?

BorisG

Quote from: Steve on July 24, 2007, 06:57:54 PM
That's too bad. Thanks for the response, though. Which of them did he put on record?

According to one discography, 17 of them. I do not feel like listing them.

BorisG

Quote from: George on July 24, 2007, 06:23:50 PM
Why is it that the video rarely synchs up with the audio on youtube?

YT malware infestation? ;D