Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on July 13, 2013, 07:45:12 AM
You left out that Gli Incogniti is recording Corelli and Cafe Zimmermann is beginning a Vivaldi series!!

I would have if this had been the New Releases thread. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on July 13, 2013, 07:48:09 AM
I would have if this had been the New Releases thread. ;)
...oops. For some reason I thought it was. Reading comprehension fail!

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on July 13, 2013, 07:45:12 AM
You left out that Gli Incogniti is recording Corelli and Cafe Zimmermann is beginning a Vivaldi series!!

And Scarpia - try page 22, bottom. Says the FFG 9CD box will be due in October.

There are some really exciting releases in there. Will be fun to hear over the rest of 2013.

Quote from: Opus106 on July 13, 2013, 07:47:01 AM
There are a couple more pages beyond No. 19.

Direct link: http://issuu.com/elvanden/docs/outhere_catalogue_-_2eme_semestre_e/21?e=6026233/3651782

Ok, I see now.  Seems generally attractive, depending on how "special" the price is.  Looking at the individual releases, I recall my irritation that the sonatas are jumbled and the late sonatas are spread over two volumes.  If they were together I would have gotten them.  I'm not in the market for another complete cycle.

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on July 13, 2013, 07:55:46 AM
Ok, I see now.  Seems generally attractive, depending on how "special" the price is.  Looking at the individual releases, I recall my irritation that the sonatas are jumbled and the late sonatas are spread over two volumes.  If they were together I would have gotten them.  I'm not in the market for another complete cycle.

It is (if this is any help) a very good complete cycle. The Badura-Skoda Schubert which was listed in the previous Outhere newsletter was sold for $25 (9 CDs), and Eric Le Sage's complete Schumann (at least a dozen CDs) has been on sale for $27 sometimes. So the special price could be very special.

Todd

[asin]B000B73H0W[/asin]

With VMF Records kaput, it took a while, but Sequeira Costa's cycle is going to be available in the States again soon.  It's currently available directly from Claudio Records.  If the price of the discs is nice enough (say, $10/each), I'll buy the seven volumes I don't have.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

OK, who is Miklos Skuta?  A Slovak pianist who studied under Claude Helffer, it seems.  Looks like he may just have a complete cycle, or something approaching it, under his belt.  The recordings aren't listed on his web site.  Amazon lists a whole bunch of CD-Rs, one sonata per disc at $8.98/each.  Not the way to buy, to be sure.  But what if he's Da Bomb?

Brian

I've got to revise my initial estimation of Steven Masi's Volume I, self-released on CDBaby.com. Op. 79 still bothers me, but the Pastoral is eccentric in a way that may appeal to tastes other than mine, Op. 101 is joyous and the finale Bach-like in its contrapuntal intensity, and the "Pathetique" is the first time I've been able to take the sonata seriously in years. Still not a total fan of his work here, but I will be requesting review copies of future volumes. The biggest problem is the sound - it's much like that Rosser Schubert disc, boxy and hard on the treble.

12tone.

Who's up for buying this one when it arrives?  I'm curious just because it's so out of no-where.  Plus who knows right?

It's going to be on at Amazon on July 16  :)

12tone.

Just looked on my Rdio app and they have Proot's cd up!

She's playing fairly good.  Going to buy her cd no doubt now  :D

Brian

Hmmm. She's a former student of Abdel Rahman El Bacha who's been in master classes with Leon Fleisher and Richard Goode; she's just about my age; and those are four of my favorite sonatas. I think if the opportunity strikes I will indeed give that a try.

You can listen to sample clips here. I hope the CD's sound quality is better.

12tone.

Quote from: Brian on July 14, 2013, 07:20:17 PM
Hmmm. She's a former student of Abdel Rahman El Bacha who's been in master classes with Leon Fleisher and Richard Goode; she's just about my age; and those are four of my favorite sonatas. I think if the opportunity strikes I will indeed give that a try.

You can listen to sample clips here. I hope the CD's sound quality is better.

I'm listening to her Moonlight sonata on my Rdio app.  It's up for downloads I guess.

She's really good.  I'm impressed.  While not as "glossy" as some big names, she makes up for that in having a personable sound.  Wow.

Fred

Great place to go looking for complete sets in 7digital. They seem to charge $10 whether it is one CD or the complete set.  So you can get Goodyear, Korstick, Oppitz etc etc COMPLETE sets for $10.  Needless to say, I have bought many.

Has anyone listened to Tchetuev on Caromitis?  There are now six volumes and I've read some great reviews, but they are pricey

Parsifal

Quote from: 12tone. on July 14, 2013, 06:42:09 PM
Who's up for buying this one when it arrives?  I'm curious just because it's so out of no-where.  Plus who knows right?

It's going to be on at Amazon on July 16  :)

There's something creepy about that photo.  It reminds me of the girl who dresses up to look like an anime character.

12tone.

Quote from: Scarpia on July 15, 2013, 08:10:27 PM
There's something creepy about that photo.  It reminds me of the girl who dresses up to look like an anime character.

What?  :o  How did you get cosplay and Proot's together?  Maybe a little bit... :(

Here's another photo of her.  Is this better?

Florestan

Quote from: Scarpia on July 15, 2013, 08:10:27 PM

If this is really true, then you apparently have a big, big problem with appreciating women...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pat B

Quote from: Florestan on July 16, 2013, 09:32:23 AM
If this is really true, then you apparently have a big, big problem with appreciating women...  ;D

Ms. Proot is very attractive. The problems are that somebody put her in an awkward pose and then somebody airbrushed her face. I did an image search, and that is the single worst photo of her. (The typography and graphic design are amateurish too.)

JMO.

eumyang

My exposure to the Beethoven piano sonata cycle is quite limited, because I rarely own more than one recording of a piece of music.  This is one exception, for I own two cycles: Brendel I (Vox) and Goode.  Others which I either borrowed, or bought and later sold, are Schnabel, Brendel II (Philips-70s), Kempff II (stereo), and Barenboim (DVD).

Thanks to this thread, I've decided to get a third cycle... augh!  I've decided on the Gulda/Amadeo one.  I like fast (in fact, my favorite Beethoven symphony cycle is Zinman/Tonhalle Zürich).  I'll have to wait until late August to get it, however.  I'm in Korea now, and a lot of the classical CD's I've seen are more expensive than on Amazon -- at least that was the case at the bookstore that I usually go to.

Fred

I notice that IGOR LEVIT is about to put out a 2CD late Beethoven Sonatas on Sony.  Available in a few weeks.

Parsifal

Quote from: Pat B on July 16, 2013, 10:48:02 AM
Ms. Proot is very attractive. The problems are that somebody put her in an awkward pose and then somebody airbrushed her face. I did an image search, and that is the single worst photo of her. (The typography and graphic design are amateurish too.)

JMO.

That is just what I mean.  The photo appears manipulated and makes her look like a doll.

Nothing wrong with her appearance in an ordinary photo.

Todd

Quote from: sanantonio on July 23, 2013, 05:49:16 AMHow does she play?

That's an unimportant question when a female pianist is involved.