Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordlance

Quote from: André on July 24, 2022, 12:27:27 PM
I've finished listening to the Claude Frank cycle. It's musical, sturdy and sometimes probing, but not really illuminating. One feature I like in this cycle is the way each disc features sonatas from different periods, sort of a single disc recital concept. Frank's approach reminds me of Anton Kuerti's, although the latter is more systematic in his brusque, irascible conception of Beethoven. The sound is okay.

Commencing Michael Korstick's cycle. Disc 1 down, with the works presented chronologically this time (the 3 opus 2 sonatas). I find the playing very solid and the sound is much more present. Korstick too adheres to a tensile, volatile view of the music. The slow movement of sonata 2 was a real highlight.

Korstick's playing is the most 'manic' of all Beethoven performances I've heard - maybe a little *too* harsh. Any other players that play with a similar intensity as Korstick?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Brian

I can't directly answer your question but I absolutely love Korstick in the "seven" concertos on a recent CPO release. His left hand is powerful and vigorous and rings clearer than anyone else. But in the concertos at least, his overall intensity is matched by Oliver Schnyder. I don't think Oli has recorded any sonatas yet.

Jo498

I kept op.106 with Korstick because of its extremes/excentricities but I didn't care very much about the two or so other discs I heard (Diabellis and another one, I think). I hear more harshness than intensity. The Kovacevich/EMI is a bit similar but in that case it seems also the fault of the recorded sound. Another pianist who is loud, powerful, fast and straightforward is Buchbinder (although I have not kept track of his two or three complete or partial cycles). NB these comments are only about the sonatas, not concertos. In my experience the typical "problem" with the concertos is that almost no conductor goes to the "extremes" as e.g. Korstick in the sonatas or Scherchen or Chailly in the symphonies.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 25, 2022, 07:11:44 PM
I can't directly answer your question but I absolutely love Korstick in the "seven" concertos on a recent CPO release. His left hand is powerful and vigorous and rings clearer than anyone else. But in the concertos at least, his overall intensity is matched by Oliver Schnyder. I don't think Oli has recorded any sonatas yet.
I hadn't heard of the other ones before...just knew about 1-5.  Interesting to read about them.  How do you like the "new" ones Brian?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2022, 08:45:28 AM
I hadn't heard of the other ones before...just knew about 1-5.  Interesting to read about them.  How do you like the "new" ones Brian?

PD
One of them is the violin concerto in Beethoven's own arrangement, one is a very early sketch ("number zero"), and then one is about 15 minutes of a planned concerto which he began after No. 5, so it would have been 6. He got most of the way through the first movement before abandoning the piece, so Korstick commissioned a completion of that movement. I've listened twice and feel the same way I feel about Schubert's Tenth - very nice and enjoyable, not super memorable melodies, and lower dramatic stakes than the last completed work. Will definitely return to it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 26, 2022, 09:22:03 AM
One of them is the violin concerto in Beethoven's own arrangement, one is a very early sketch ("number zero"), and then one is about 15 minutes of a planned concerto which he began after No. 5, so it would have been 6. He got most of the way through the first movement before abandoning the piece, so Korstick commissioned a completion of that movement. I've listened twice and feel the same way I feel about Schubert's Tenth - very nice and enjoyable, not super memorable melodies, and lower dramatic stakes than the last completed work. Will definitely return to it.
Thanks for the further info.  I would think that the violin one would be the most interesting one to listen to.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Brian on September 26, 2022, 09:22:03 AMI've listened twice and feel the same way I feel about Schubert's Tenth - very nice and enjoyable, not super memorable melodies, and lower dramatic stakes than the last completed work.

Have you ever listened to Berio's completion/restoration of Schubert's Tenth?

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,31.msg709112.html#msg709112
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kapsweiss2021

Quote from: Todd on September 24, 2022, 12:59:07 PM
After purchasing Martin Roscoe's cycle, I updated my tracking spreadsheet to come up with an up-to-date set of entirely inane statistics.  Attached is a listing of all complete cycles I am aware of grouped into some fun categories.  First is country of birth for each pianist, second is whether it is a full cycle (eg, Gilels is not a true complete cycle), third is whether I possess a copy, and finally if the cycle was recorded by a woman.  Twenty-one women have recorded twenty-two cycles, figures that surely must go up.  I have some ideas of women I'd like to see record the cycle for 2028, starting with Ragna Schirmer and YES.

Todd, are you going to review Martin Roscoe's cycle? I am very interested in it. Thanks in advance.

Todd

Quote from: kapsweiss2021 on September 26, 2022, 10:56:36 PM
Todd, are you going to review Martin Roscoe's cycle? I am very interested in it. Thanks in advance.

I plan on it.  It typically takes several weeks to listen to a cycle and digest it.

Oldnslow

Just re-listened to Paul Badura Skoda's fortepiano cycle. Just fantastic. I may be wrong but I think this is the only complete cycle recorded on original, not replica, fortepianos.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: George on July 23, 2022, 07:38:27 AMHi Jens,

I have been revisiting a few of my Beethoven sets that I had yet to evaluate and compare with some of my other sets and since this is partially due to your post, I wanted to reply here.

Agreed again! I think the mono Kempff is a clear and consistent improvement over the stereo set. I think Kempff excels in 18 of the 32 in the mono and only 4 of the 32 in the stereo. And thankfully, the mono DG sound for Kempff is a lot better than the mono Decca sound for Backhaus.   

That was interesting to read. Always good to realize one isn't operating in an opinionated vacuum. :-) Cheers,
Jens

Todd

Finally gave this a whirl.  The one thing that this recording does better than the 70s recording is piano sound.  There's a more appealing tone and more body.  Pollini obviously digs the music, as evidenced by his vocalizing.  He does not really present these in a transcendent or deep manner.  Instead, they are more straightforward and uncompromising.  This pays the biggest dividends in the tense and tetchy Adagio to 106.  His tempi are pretty snappy throughout, often leading to an agitated sound.  But he also cannot play with the utter precision and control of his younger days.  The swift 9'31" opener to 106 has energy and forward drive, but it lacks the sublime execution of pianists like Korstick or Goodyear.  This is better than I anticipated, but it does not match memories of his earlier recordings, and better renditions are available.  I will probably A/B this and his earlier recordings at some point. 

Todd

Looks like Saleem Ashkar's cycle got released in January and escaped my notice.  Now I must hunt down a copy.

Holden

Spotify has it if you can't find a physical copy.
Cheers

Holden

Todd

Quote from: Holden on July 07, 2023, 08:30:08 AMSpotify has it if you can't find a physical copy.

Amazon and Qobuz do as well.  I want a physical or download copy, though.  This is an LvB sonata cycle - and a very good one for the first four volumes - so streaming will ultimately not satisfy. I may have to relent, though . . .

Holden

Quote from: Todd on July 07, 2023, 08:52:16 AMAmazon and Qobuz do as well.  I want a physical or download copy, though.  This is an LvB sonata cycle - and a very good one for the first four volumes - so streaming will ultimately not satisfy. I may have to relent, though . . .

I quite liked what I heard but won't comment further than that as I only sampled and didn't listen to a whole sonata at any stage.

Presto Music has the complete set. Couldn't find it on Amazon
Cheers

Holden

Todd

Quote from: Holden on July 07, 2023, 01:50:29 PMPresto Music has the complete set.

For streaming or purchase?  When I search for Ashkar, I see only four titles.

The Amazon (US) streaming link is: https://www.amazon.com/music/player/albums/B0BS8VDZ9R

Holden

Quote from: Todd on July 07, 2023, 03:06:09 PMFor streaming or purchase?  When I search for Ashkar, I see only four titles.

The Amazon (US) streaming link is: https://www.amazon.com/music/player/albums/B0BS8VDZ9R

This page has the complete set at the very bottom but it's a digital download. No hard copy it seems

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=saleem%20ashkar
Cheers

Holden

Todd

Quote from: Holden on July 07, 2023, 04:30:28 PMhttps://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=saleem%20ashkar

Alas, the sonata set is not visible in the US.  Volumes 5 & 6 separately would also provide the missing sonatas, but I can't find both of those, either. 

Mateus

If you are looking for physical copies, I believe you can find volumes 5 and 6 on Amazon here:
Volume 5 - https://www.amazon.com/Sonatas-11-15-16-22/dp/B09K6SQP1J/
Volume 6 - https://www.amazon.com/Sonatas-4-9-18-25/dp/B0BSS96H76/