Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Looks like Garrick Ohlsson's cycle will have the final volume released next month.  I'm thinking I may wait for the inevitable box set to come out before I buy. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Philoctetes

Quote from: Todd on November 28, 2010, 11:17:31 AM
Looks like Garrick Ohlsson's cycle will have the final volume released next month.  I'm thinking I may wait for the inevitable box set to come out before I buy.

I'm sure you'll end up purchasing it anyway, but I've been, personally, underwhelmed by Ohlsson's playing. (But I also don't really know the works, as you do, so I could be missing something or a lot.)

Oldnslow

I just ordered the "new" budget ($27 from Amazon) release by Musical Concepts of the Schnabel box set of sonatas. My experience with Musical Concepts/Alto has been very positive in terms of remastering. Since I hadn't ever replaced my lp set of the Schnabel I think this might be the time. I'll report on them in a few weeks.

The new erato

Quote from: Oldnslow on November 30, 2010, 11:32:07 AM
Since I hadn't ever replaced my lp set of the Schnabel I think this might be the time.

Yep. Oldnslow seems just about the right moniker.  :D

Welcome BTW.

Clever Hans

I just ordered the "new" budget ($27 from Amazon) release by Musical Concepts of the Schnabel box set of sonatas. My experience with Musical Concepts/Alto has been very positive in terms of remastering. Since I hadn't ever replaced my lp set of the Schnabel I think this might be the time. I'll report on them in a few weeks.

It seems there are 30 sec samples on Napster

http://music.napster.com/artur-schnabel-music/album/beethoven%3A-complete-piano-sonatas/14001128

Although given the price, perhaps the recordings are mixed up from the emi release.

Oldnslow

Thanks. The samples don't sound half bad. I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with Mr. Schnabel and Beethoven........

George

Quote from: Oldnslow on November 30, 2010, 06:21:40 PM
Thanks. The samples don't sound half bad. I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with Mr. Schnabel and Beethoven........

I am not sure if I posted this here, but I have uploaded 60 second samples of 5 different CD transfers (EMI, Pearl, Naxos, Nuovo Era and Dante) from the central movement of the Moonlight Sonata here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lvppl6vj4omdj

Clever Hans

Quote from: George on November 30, 2010, 06:28:45 PM
I am not sure if I posted this here, but I have uploaded 60 second samples of 5 different CD transfers (EMI, Pearl, Naxos, Nuovo Era and Dante) from the central movement of the Moonlight Sonata here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lvppl6vj4omdj

Thanks for that, great to hear. I wonder if the pearl will ever be rereleased. Utterly ridiculous that in our age of digital media, one cannot acquire recordings through an online store. Instead, we have to take out a loan to acquire the out of print cds. 

I hope someone eventually posts it on demonoid. There, I said it.

Oldnslow

Thanks. What are your impressions, if you have heard them, of Schnabel's collection of Schubert recordings on Music and Arts?

George

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 01, 2010, 01:44:56 PM
Thanks. What are your impressions, if you have heard them, of Schnabel's collection of Schubert recordings on Music and Arts?

I haven't really digested it yet, but the mastering is superb. What I have heard I have enjoyed.

Que

I would welcome a modern remastering!  :) Does Musical Concepts/Alto by your knowledge transfers from 78 rpm? Because if not, most likely and common transfers around are from the LP reissue that must have run out of copyright in Europe.

Q

George

Quote from: Que on December 01, 2010, 10:00:34 PM
I would welcome a modern remastering!  :) Does Musical Concepts/Alto by your knowledge transfers from 78 rpm? Because if not, most likely and common transfers around are from the LP reissue that must have run out of copyright in Europe.

Q

The Richter material that first appeared on Olympia and then was licensed by Regis has now been licensed again by Alto. I don't think that Alto does their own transfers.

kishnevi

Quote from: George on December 02, 2010, 03:40:59 AM
The Richter material that first appeared on Olympia and then was licensed by Regis has now been licensed again by Alto. I don't think that Alto does their own transfers.

I have two CDs from Alto;  both state they were remastered by Paul Arden-Taylor.  One is a Shostakovich recording (VC 2, with Oistrakh, paired with Symphony 15; Kondrashin conducting the Moscow Philharmonic in both works) that was apparently licensed from somewhere in Eastern Europe;  the other (Brendel playing Mozart PCs 17 and 27--originally a Vox recording)  says:
remastered from analogue by Classic Sound, New York
Re-compiled/re-mastered for alto by Paul Arden-Taylor

SQ on the Mozart is fine; SQ on the Shostakovich is not so fine, especially on the violin concerto--although I think the fault there was in the original tapes, since it sounds as if all the mikes were placed close to the soloist, and the orchestra then placed on the opposite side of the room.   Even with the bad SQ, it's still an interesting recording, and since it was recorded in 1967--meaning at the same time or within a few weeks of the work's premiere--is probably the concerto's earliest recording.

The Shostakovich CD, btw, gives an URL for Arden-Taylor: www.dinmore-records.co.uk
ETA:  Ah, having checked the Dinmore site--it's a very small English label, for which he records as performer on the oboe and recorder;  audio engineering is a recent avocation.
Dinmore itself apparently has no connection to alto.
ETA 2: Listening to the Shostakovich concerto now.  SQ is better than I remembered it being.

George

Quote from: Que on December 01, 2010, 10:00:34 PM
I would welcome a modern remastering!  :)

Have you heard the Naxos?

Oldnslow

The Schanbel set from Musical Concepts arrived today. They are apparantly a reissue from Nuova Era, and do use the Cedar system. In any event, they sound fine to me--very clear and for the age of the recordings I have no complaints. It is very nice to hear these great performances again.

Coopmv

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 03, 2010, 02:02:18 PM
The Schanbel set from Musical Concepts arrived today. They are apparantly a reissue from Nuova Era, and do use the Cedar system. In any event, they sound fine to me--very clear and for the age of the recordings I have no complaints. It is very nice to hear these great performances again.

I am perfectly happy with my Schnabel's Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas on Naxos Historical ...   ;)

Oldnslow

OK, kids and kiddies who are lovers of Beethoven's complete piano sonatas, I have a little question for you. Since Beethoven wrote 32 sonatas, and I'd argue that at least 30 of them are either masterpieces or near masterpieces (excluding Op.49, which he might not have even wanted published), which three contiguous sonatas (either under a single opus number or three consecutive opus numbers) are your favorites and why?  I suspect many folks might choose Opus 53-57 or Opus 109-111, but I would choose Opus 31. These sonatas are all brilliant, have great variety melodically and rhythmically, and  convey many emotions, from joy, to humor, to pathos, and I never get tired of listening to them. What say you?   

Todd

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 06, 2010, 02:08:15 PMbut I would choose Opus 31. These sonatas are all brilliant, have great variety melodically and rhythmically, and  convey many emotions, from joy, to humor, to pathos, and I never get tired of listening to them.

Op 31 for me.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Dancing Divertimentian

Apologies if this has been mentioned already (long thread) but has anybody been keeping up with the David Allen Wehr yet-to-be-completed cycle on Connoisseur Society?

Judging by CS's samples this is some major piano playing here (especially the late sonatas)!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach