Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 06, 2010, 02:08:15 PM
OK, kids and kiddies who are lovers of Beethoven's complete piano sonatas, I have a little question for you. Since Beethoven wrote 32 sonatas, and I'd argue that at least 30 of them are either masterpieces or near masterpieces (excluding Op.49, which he might not have even wanted published), which three contiguous sonatas (either under a single opus number or three consecutive opus numbers) are your favorites and why?  I suspect many folks might choose Opus 53-57 or Opus 109-111, but I would choose Opus 31. These sonatas are all brilliant, have great variety melodically and rhythmically, and  convey many emotions, from joy, to humor, to pathos, and I never get tired of listening to them. What say you?
This is not an uninteresting question, just not sure this is the place to ask it. If you allow it, I would pick 106, 109, 110. I think.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Holden

Cheers

Holden

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 06, 2010, 08:22:47 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned already (long thread) but has anybody been keeping up with the David Allen Wehr yet-to-be-completed cycle on Connoisseur Society?

Judging by CS's samples this is some major piano playing here (especially the late sonatas)!
Interesting  - as I had never heard of these before. I believe, however, that it is completed. I counted 32 and one of the reviews of #4 refers to it as the final volume. Thanks for mentioning these and I hope someone will comment on them.

jlaurson

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 06, 2010, 08:22:47 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned already (long thread) but has anybody been keeping up with the David Allen Wehr yet-to-be-completed cycle on Connoisseur Society?

Judging by CS's samples this is some major piano playing here (especially the late sonatas)!

"yet to be completed"? ? ? I have the complete cycle, and had it for some time.

See also: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/06/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete_21.html

mc ukrneal

Quote from: jlaurson on December 07, 2010, 02:57:47 AM

See also: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/06/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete_21.html
What did you think of it? I'd be particularly interested in volume 4.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: ukrneal on December 06, 2010, 10:41:09 PM
I believe, however, that it is completed. I counted 32 and one of the reviews of #4 refers to it as the final volume.

Ah, sleepy/late night posting led to negligence. :-X

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: jlaurson on December 07, 2010, 02:57:47 AM

Okay, Einstein. So tell us what you think of it!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

jlaurson

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 07, 2010, 05:19:43 AM
Okay, Einstein. So tell us what you think of it!

First (and only) impression was favorable (but hey, it's Beethoven, after all)... but no particular opinion about it yet. I'll pop in volume 4 this week and report back.

Oldnslow

It was fun listening to the "new"Schnabel set on Musical Concepts. Basically pretty good sound considering the source material (some slight pitch issues but nothing major, and a couple of very brief moments of drop outs/distortion). Well worth the minimal outlay for this classic set. I was reminded of the swift tempos Schnabel chose, most of which work very well (the exception being the first movement of Op.106, which is simply too fast). Listening again to this set it is hard to overestimate the influence these performances must have had on other musicians. I expect what we take for granted in Beethoven playing today hardly existed before Schnabel, at least with regard to what would have then been  the lesser known works. Next it is on to the concertos (with Sargeant on Naxos, and the 4th and 5th Schnabel recorded with Stock in Chicago in 1942.

Scarpia

After seeing mention here I checked out samples of Brautigam's recording of the Hammerklavier on fortepiano.  I am intrigued.  (The sample gives a good impression of the sound of the instrument, obviously the performance cannot be judged without hearing the thing in its entirety.)  In any case, I've put in an order for volumes 7 and 8, which cover the late sonatas.  The claim that the late sonatas demand the modern piano can be questioned, I think.  I tend to find the sound of the piano too big, rather than not big enough, in recordings of those works.  Maybe Beethoven wouldn't have demanded all that banging if he had an instrument that could produce a stronger sound.  The more intimate sound of the forte-piano might be just the thing!  (runs away)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Scarpia on December 20, 2010, 08:16:43 AM
After seeing mention here I checked out samples of Brautigam's recording of the Hammerklavier on fortepiano.  I am intrigued.  (The sample gives a good impression of the sound of the instrument, obviously the performance cannot be judged without hearing the thing in its entirety.)  In any case, I've put in an order for volumes 7 and 8, which cover the late sonatas.  The claim that the late sonatas demand the modern piano can be questioned, I think.  I tend to find the sound of the piano too big, rather than not big enough, in recordings of those works.  Maybe Beethoven wouldn't have demanded all that banging if he had an instrument that could produce a stronger sound.  The more intimate sound of the forte-piano might be just the thing!  (runs away)
I have to admit that I also listened to some of the samples and was intrigued as well. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Que

Quote from: Scarpia on December 20, 2010, 08:16:43 AM

No need to run!  ;D 8)

As for the late sonatas on fortepiano Paul Komen's recordings on Globe (unfortunately an as yet incomplete cycle) are worth your investigation.

SAMPLES

Q

Bogey

Are these three that are on this set:

[asin]B00009LW30[/asin]

Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor ("Moonlight"), Op. 27/2

Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor ("Pathétique"), Op. 13

Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor ("Appassionata"), Op. 57

the same as the recordings on this set:

[asin]B0000012XC[/asin]
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Scarpia

Recently listened to No 32, Op 111 by Lortie

[asin]B0040MF1XK[/asin]

I've always enjoyed the first movement, but I think this is the first time I have really appreciated the second movement variations.  I enjoy Lortie's way with the music, but the point is I decided that I would listen to the piece over and over until I figured it out, and it worked.

RJR

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 06, 2010, 02:08:15 PM
OK, kids and kiddies who are lovers of Beethoven's complete piano sonatas, I have a little question for you. Since Beethoven wrote 32 sonatas, and I'd argue that at least 30 of them are either masterpieces or near masterpieces (excluding Op.49, which he might not have even wanted published), which three contiguous sonatas (either under a single opus number or three consecutive opus numbers) are your favorites and why?  I suspect many folks might choose Opus 53-57 or Opus 109-111, but I would choose Opus 31. These sonatas are all brilliant, have great variety melodically and rhythmically, and  convey many emotions, from joy, to humor, to pathos, and I never get tired of listening to them. What say you?

Love the Opus 10s as well. In fact, my first purchase ever was Wilhelm Kempff's stereo recording of those works. I bought them by mistake. I was looking for the first Barenboim  recording of the Hammerklavier (Op. 106) and the Kempff front cover said klaviersonaten. So I figured that was what I was looking for. Rookie mistake.

RJR

Opus 10 for me. My first classical record purchase. Wilhelm Kempff. Still have it 43 years later.

George

Quote from: Bogey on January 23, 2011, 10:58:41 AM
Are these three that are on this set:

[asin]B00009LW30[/asin]

Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor ("Moonlight"), Op. 27/2

Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor ("Pathétique"), Op. 13

Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor ("Appassionata"), Op. 57

the same as the recordings on this set:

[asin]B0000012XC[/asin]

No. The former were all from 1955, while the latter were recorded in 1953, 56 and 51.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Quote from: George on January 25, 2011, 06:44:47 PM
No. The former were all from 1955, while the latter were recorded in 1953, 56 and 51.

Wow!  This is interesting.  thanks, buddy.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

RJR

I have a potential remedy for those of you who are bothered by too much hiss and surface noise on old recordings: transfer the cds to VCR Hi-Fi tapes. Six hours or two hours, your choice. It's not 100 percent but it will help.