Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2011, 12:19:53 PM
Oh I think she can be very sensitive

Agreed - I have heard her Ravel!  0:)

Mandryka

Quote from: Bogey on February 06, 2011, 12:30:21 PM
Jet lag flying to Tokyo....month of February, so possibly the flu (my wife and son have it and I just got over it)....etc.  Who knows? :)

Too charitable. There are other recordings which are similarly disappointing I think. The Mozart PC 20 I would say. And some Chopin too. Nocturnes.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Bogey

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
Too charitable. There are other recordings which are similarly disappointing I think. The Mozart PC 20 I would say. And some Chopin too. Nocturnes.

Chicken pox? ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Holden

I have all four of those Waldstein's and would like to comment.

The Schnabel is the poorest in my opinion. He struggles in places to get the necessary articulation

Next on the ladder for me is the Gulda - an exciting first movement but the other two movements don't get the necessary time to 'breathe'.

The Cziffra is the reverse. The first movement, like the Argerich, doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's fast but it's also like it's jogging on the spot.

The Tomsic (thanks you for including this) is one of my all time favourites of this work. Onward imeptus with brilliant articulation in Movement I, a well considered Introduzione and a rondo that lives up to it's name.

You might consider this as well. It was  my introduction to this work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqNXgsOP50

However, this is the one to listen to (and I know George will agree).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8R0dPWVod8

Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on February 06, 2011, 05:00:30 PM
However, this is the one to listen to (and I know George will agree).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8R0dPWVod8

Indeed I will.

I will add a plug for the Casimir live recording by Josef Hofmann.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on February 06, 2011, 11:44:27 AM

Quote from: Mandryka on Today at 11:04:59 AM
Admittedly this is a hard movement to make interesting

Quote from: Brian on Today at 12:44:27 PM
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I said that because it's  so repetitious. One of the reasons I like Ernst Levy in this is that he finds lots of ways to ring the changes. Colours, phrasing, articulation.

BTW I think fortepianos can help with the first movement -- the dry percussive tone seems to suit the music. I like Komen most, I think. The piano sounds so bang bang thud thud it's wonderful. This music sounds good to me when you take it far away from the slickness of a Steinway 88.

Quote from: Holden on February 06, 2011, 05:00:30 PM
I have all four of those Waldstein's and would like to comment.

The Schnabel is the poorest in my opinion. He struggles in places to get the necessary articulation

Can you say a bit more? You mean in the first movement?

Holden

Schnabel's left hand and right hands just don't match up in a number of places in I. The left hand is in time but the right hand is struggling to keep up. There are a number of instances of sloppy RH passage work. This is also observable in his recording of the Hammerklavier
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on February 07, 2011, 12:36:05 AM
Schnabel's left hand and right hands just don't match up in a number of places in I. The left hand is in time but the right hand is struggling to keep up. There are a number of instances of sloppy RH passage work. This is also observable in his recording of the Hammerklavier

I quite like what he does with it. Very much so. I expect he would have rerecorded more of those sonatas if he could have.

Clever Hans

Quote from: Holden on February 07, 2011, 12:36:05 AM

To me, it is much more important that a player convey the character of a piece than have perfect articulation, especially in the hectic allegro of the Waldstein (Although not everyone interprets it that way, e.g. Gilels). Not to mention, as Mandryka points out, Schnabel didn't have the luxury of modern retakes and editing.

Regardless, he gets as much possible out of the Introduzione with the most imaginative rubato and especially the transition to the Rondo. 

The Hammerklavier I is another good example, where so many players don't even bother playing it allegro, let alone honoring the challenge of Beethoven's metronome marking.
Schnabel's interpretation is faultless, even if his technique lags behind.   

There is also the issue that Schnabel is sometimes criticized for "rushing," when he is swept up in an allegro.

Scarpia

Quote from: Clever Hans on February 07, 2011, 08:51:58 AM
Schnabel's interpretation is faultless, even if his technique lags behind.

My interpretation of the piece is superior to Schnabel's, although I can't even play the piano.   0:)

Clever Hans

Quote from: Scarpia on February 07, 2011, 08:58:00 AM
My interpretation of the piece is superior to Schnabel's, although I can't even play the piano.   0:)

I opened myself up to that sort of jibe  ;)

In any case, older recordings are often important and enjoyable for interpretive choices rather than a standard of overall excellence.

Mandryka

Quote from: Clever Hans on February 07, 2011, 08:51:58 AM

Not to mention, as Mandryka points out, Schnabel didn't have the luxury of modern retakes and editing.

Actually it's not  that. There American Federation of Musicians asked all it's members to stop making recordings in August 1942. The dispute was about royalties I think. American Victor's stidios were silent  from July 31, 1942 through November 11, 1944.

Schnabel rerecorded OP 109 and Op 111 in June 1942 -- before the AFM ban.

Clever Hans

Quote from: Mandryka on February 07, 2011, 09:54:37 AM
Actually it's not  that. There American Federation of Musicians asked all it's members to stop making recordings in August 1942. The dispute was about royalties I think. American Victor's stidios were silent  from July 31, 1942 through November 11, 1944.

Schnabel rerecorded OP 110 and Op 111 in June 1942 -- before the AFM ban.

Ah, I see what you meant now.
I was speaking only of the 1932 sessions. In any event, what I meant was that the producers couldn't simply "punch-in" and smooth over a perfect retake of a particular section, like they do nowadays with Logic Studio, etc. The recording pressure must have been much greater back then, and Schnabel apparently had problems with that. Not everything is ideal with human beings, and Beethoven himself did not like performing his own compositions in public, having salon audiences sit in separate rooms, preferring to improvise and conduct with his wild gesticulations.

Schnabel recreates the exuberance, tempi, and spontaneous feeling of the sonatas like no one else, and the concertos almost like no one else (Fleisher, Serkin, Solomon, Gilels).
That Schnabel is equally successful in Schubert, who idolized Beethoven, is further evidence to me that Schnabel grokked Beethoven. For modern perfection we have Gulda, Gilels, Pollini, or Solomon and Serkin.

I like this quote about Schnabel:

"The 'fluffs' and the rhythmic telescopings that occasionally make us raise our eyebrows are actually almost always the results of attempts at the impossible, attempts to push an idea to the very limits of its logic and even a bit beyond, rather than results of an imperfect control of mind or fingers."

George

Quote from: Clever Hans on February 07, 2011, 03:03:09 PM
I like this quote about Schnabel:

"The 'fluffs' and the rhythmic telescopings that occasionally make us raise our eyebrows are actually almost always the results of attempts at the impossible, attempts to push an idea to the very limits of its logic and even a bit beyond, rather than results of an imperfect control of mind or fingers."

Excellent quote.  :)

Verena

Quote from: Clever Hans on February 07, 2011, 03:03:09 PM

Schnabel recreates the exuberance, tempi, and spontaneous feeling of the sonatas like no one else, and the concertos almost like no one else (Fleisher, Serkin, Solomon, Gilels).
That Schnabel is equally successful in Schubert, who idolized Beethoven, is further evidence to me that Schnabel grokked Beethoven.

Very well-said. Completely agree with the first part - for me Schnabel is THE Beethoven player. I find most of his Schubert a lot less impressive somehow - although I am a Schnabel fan quite generally (excepting his Schubert).
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Mandryka

Quote from: Verena on February 08, 2011, 12:27:51 AM
Very well-said. Completely agree with the first part - for me Schnabel is THE Beethoven player. I find most of his Schubert a lot less impressive somehow - although I am a Schnabel fan quite generally (excepting his Schubert).

I like some of the Beethoven, but not all. I don't like to focus on the negative but the earlier sonatas are sometimes just too grave for me (in the Largo to 10/3 for example. ) And some of the recordings seem very good, but maybe not really memorable and special. Sometimes (rarely) I think there are some bold but completely failed experiments -- (the first movement of the Hammerklavbier for example)

I find the Schubert more consistently satisfying, though I don't care at all for his Impromptus, which seem rather nervous.

Is there anyone interested in exploring Schnabel's recordings a bit more closely using this forum? You know the sort of thing: choosing a piece (Schubert or Beethoven or Bach or Mozart, concerto, chamber solo: -- I don't mind)  to listen to and posting reactions, whatever they may be.

Holden

Schnabel has been been put up on a pedestal as pianistic God as regards the LvB sonatas. He was the first to record the whole cycle (beating out Lamond) and a lot of hyperbole has been exuded from that point (regarding his stature)  from whence he gained his place on this pedestal.

Yes, he plays Beethoven very well but as the greatest interpreter of all time - I don't think so. His performances in the 'name' sonatas leaves a lot to be desired and much of it is lack of technical ability. Yes, his musical intelligence comes to the fore but he seems so frequently lost in trying to just play the notes that the musicality just isn't there. His Hammerklavier is a good example. The Adagio is just superb but it follows a very ordinary Scherzo which was preceded by a first movement in which all Schnabel could do was just play as fast as possible and hope that the headlong rush would satisfy as a great performance. When you hear Pollini, Solomon and Richter play it you realise how inept this was.

Where I love Schnabel is in the earlier sonatas. He still has what could be considered a very fresh approach after all these years.

Now his Schubert is a different story. Just sublime in so many areas.

Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2011, 01:35:53 AM
Is there anyone interested in exploring Schnabel's recordings a bit more closely using this forum? You know the sort of thing: choosing a piece (Schubert or Beethoven or Bach or Mozart, concerto, chamber solo: -- I don't mind)  to listen to and posting reactions, whatever they may be.

Answered here, in the Schnabel thread.

Verena

Quote from: Holden on February 08, 2011, 01:55:27 AM
Schnabel has been been put up on a pedestal as pianistic God as regards the LvB sonatas. He was the first to record the whole cycle (beating out Lamond) and a lot of hyperbole has been exuded from that point (regarding his stature)  from whence he gained his place on this pedestal.

Yes, he plays Beethoven very well but as the greatest interpreter of all time - I don't think so. His performances in the 'name' sonatas leaves a lot to be desired and much of it is lack of technical ability. Yes, his musical intelligence comes to the fore but he seems so frequently lost in trying to just play the notes that the musicality just isn't there. His Hammerklavier is a good example. The Adagio is just superb but it follows a very ordinary Scherzo which was preceded by a first movement in which all Schnabel could do was just play as fast as possible and hope that the headlong rush would satisfy as a great performance. When you hear Pollini, Solomon and Richter play it you realise how inept this was.

Where I love Schnabel is in the earlier sonatas. He still has what could be considered a very fresh approach after all these years.

Now his Schubert is a different story. Just sublime in so many areas.

Yes, his technical command is often less than satisfying. And in those sonatas where this is all too evident, I tend to prefer other pianists.
With Schnabel I feel  that he has almost always something to say (a lot in fact), often more than most other pianists I know. But in Schubert, this is not enough for me. I think his Schubert speaks, but it does not sing (to my ears). 
Don't think, but look! (PI66)