Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haffner

A friend of mine (initials G.o.G.M.G.) gave me the "name" sonatas as a gift, with Kempff at the helm. I liked it so much I got this, which remains my favorite.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Haffner on October 12, 2007, 05:04:03 AM
A friend of mine (initials G.o.G.M.G.) gave me the "name" sonatas as a gift, with Kempff at the helm. ...

Andy, was that the DGOriginals disk? If so, it has been and remains my single favorite Beethoven sonatas disk. If I could only keep one...  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Haffner

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 12, 2007, 06:01:13 AM
Andy, was that the DGOriginals disk? If so, it has been and remains my single favorite Beethoven sonatas disk. If I could only keep one...  :)

8)

Terrific interpretations, a fine purchase for anyone interested, imho.

Renfield

Quote from: Haffner on October 12, 2007, 06:04:22 AM

Terrific interpretations, a fine purchase for anyone interested, imho.

Both his earlier and later cycle, I'll add. In fact, I have a slight preference for the earlier one, myself; but both are terrific, from a truly masterful pianist and interpreter. :)

Valentino

Quote from: Haffner on October 12, 2007, 05:04:03 AM
A friend of mine (initials G.o.G.M.G.) gave me the "name" sonatas as a gift, with Kempff at the helm. I liked it so much I got this, which remains my favorite.
That's the full set I got hold of on LP (1970 DGG LvB Edition) this summer. Very nice. Note the left hand boogie-woogie in the Moonlight finale!
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Drasko

I probably listen to Beethoven Sonatas less often than most of other posters in this thread but been listening to this one lately and quite liking it.

For me there are two highlights, first being first movement of Waldstein - it's pure and simple joy listening to pianist who can play at these speeds without slightest compromise of articulation or lost in beauty of tone for a single moment. The other and absolute highlight of the disc is arioso dolente of op.110, so achingly beautiful, sad but more melancholy than despair, with phrasing that sounds perfectly right, gets me wobbly in the knees everytime. Actually all of op.110 is stunning. First movement floats effortlessly, fast second with sharp dynamic contrasts, both fugues flawless, crescendo towards the end is mighty without becoming bangy  (his tone never hardens). This one has becoming quickly my preferred version within my modest collection.

Which brings me to the point, wanted to add couple more recordings of op.110 to ones I already have (Kempff, Solomon, Richter, Freire). Decided on Gieseking and Fischer but there is the question - which transfer for Fischer? APR has more appealing couplings than Pearl but I generally like Pearl transfers. Does anyone have both? Or how is APR sounding?

Fischer is Edwin.

Expresso

I'm thinking about buying a complete set of these sonatas. I already have a cheap 10 CD set with Schnabel and some individual sonatas by other pianists.
Now i'm looking for a set with good better sound quality than Schnabel.

Which one should i check? Gulda?Barenboim?
There is a set with Gulda on eloquence records and another on brilliant. Any differences on those two?

gmstudio

Quote from: Expresso on November 14, 2007, 06:11:18 AM
I'm thinking about buying a complete set of these sonatas. I already have a cheap 10 CD set with Schnabel and some individual sonatas by other pianists.

There is a set with Gulda on eloquence records and another on brilliant. Any differences on those two?

I bought this one about two years ago.  Couldn't beat the price ($34!) or quality...

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-Sonatas-Ludwig-van/dp/B0000037B3/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195054350&sr=8-29

Don

Quote from: gmstudio on November 14, 2007, 06:33:55 AM
I bought this one about two years ago.  Couldn't beat the price ($34!) or quality...

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-Sonatas-Ludwig-van/dp/B0000037B3/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195054350&sr=8-29

I'd recommend a little caution about the Roberts set.  Although it was the first Beethoven set I ever acquired and have very warm feelings about it, he's a little restrained and polite.  In his live recordings, he's much more visceral.

George

The Eloquence has the concertos as well. As for your other questions:

Do you want fast and technically proficient in good sound? Then Gulda's your man.

Do you want Romantic and beautiful played and sound with many fast movements that are played slower than usual? Barenboim (DG) is your man.

Do you want incredible power, depth in the slow movements and good sound? Annie Fischer's your woman. (Expensive though absolutely worth it)

Do you want great sound, great depth in the slow movements with great consistency throughout? Can you tolerate missing a few sonatas and some slowish fast movements? Then Gilels is your man.

Do you want a solid cycle by a man who lived and breathed with these works, recording the set twice? Then Backhaus (stereo) is your man.

FWIW, I think that Gulda probably provides the best contrast to Schnabel. The price is right and the sound is good. 

Also, FWIW, The Bernard Roberts set as a whole is not very good. Some of the performances are excellent, but not enough to warrant getting the cycle.

The four sets that I would recommend for performance, consistency and sound quality are Annie Fischer, Gulda (Brilliant/Amadeo/Eloquence), Gilels and Backhaus (stereo), in that order.  :)

Mark

George, you break my heart. What about Richard Goode? :'(

George

Quote from: Mark on November 14, 2007, 08:22:10 AM
George, you break my heart. What about Richard Goode? :'(

I haven't worked though the set, but I can already say he doesn't beat Annie or Gulda.

Mark

Quote from: George on November 14, 2007, 08:23:15 AM
I haven't worked though the set, but I can already say he doesn't beat Annie or Gulda.

IYO. 0:) ;)

George

Mark

locrian

I thought the '50s Kempff was the box to get.

Great Gable

I have heard the Barenboim and it's absolutely fine - straight down the middle, you could do worse. I have heard most of Ashkenazy's and he is my favourite - but then he can do no wrong for me. The only full set I have is the Brendel - and that's also very good. Another favourite is Kempff. If you don't have to have a set, and I admit that's a nice cost effective way of obtaining them all, you could try Pollini.

I also have some of the "remastered" Schnabel discs. I had heard the box set was hiss heaven so plumped for the individual ones. They ARE hiss heaven so god knows how bad the box set must be = what are your thoughts on the sound quality of it?

Que

Quote from: Great Gable on November 14, 2007, 08:54:28 AM
I also have some of the "remastered" Schnabel discs. I had heard the box set was hiss heaven so plumped for the individual ones. They ARE hiss heaven so god knows how bad the box set must be = what are your thoughts on the sound quality of it?

You will have to name the labels - individual ones on Naxos, box on EMI? :)

A previous thread on the matter: Schnabel's Beethoven Getaway (old forum).

Q