Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquin des Prez

I heard that the best transfer of Schnabel is on Pearl. Hard to find and mighty expensive, so i never got my hands on one.

bigshot

It depends on the transfer man. I have some Pearl sets that sound like no noise reduction at all was done. With the Schnabel recordings, that would make them pretty much unlistenable.

George

Quote from: bigshot on April 05, 2011, 03:37:30 PM
It depends on the transfer man. I have some Pearl sets that sound like no noise reduction at all was done. With the Schnabel recordings, that would make them pretty much unlistenable.

Indeed they are. They gave me headaches until Naxos saved the day.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Verena

I've read some rave reviews of his Beethoven Sonata recordings. Before I buy them - they are very expensive - I'd like to ask for further advice. Anyone listened to these? Thanks!
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Kontrapunctus

I have Vol 1 and like it very much. He's a powerful player but not a pounder. The multi-channel SACD audio is great, too. Here's a review:
http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=5228

Verena

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on April 11, 2011, 05:16:12 PM
I have Vol 1 and like it very much. He's a powerful player but not a pounder. The multi-channel SACD audio is great, too. Here's a review:
http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=5228

Thanks very much!
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

zauberharfe

Maybe it's no worth to renew a discussion over such a little thing, but I feel I must stand up for the Pearl transfer...
It has good sound quality and continuous hiss, yes, but I think unlistenable is an extreme word to describe them. This one is my personal preference; much better than EMI, and maybe even outdoes Naxos.

@bigshot
what was the basis of your transfer?

George

Quote from: zauberharfe on April 25, 2011, 01:46:28 PM
Maybe it's no worth to renew a discussion over such a little thing, but I feel I must stand up for the Pearl transfer...
It has good sound quality and continuous hiss, yes, but I think unlistenable is an extreme word to describe them.

I imagine someone who found them listenable would object to someone else calling them unlistenable. Personally, they cause me physical pain to listen to them, that's why I call them unlistenable.  :-\

Todd

Looks like Rudolf Buchbinder's cycle has been reissued at a budget price.  Perhaps I'll get it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

premont

Quote from: Todd on June 28, 2011, 10:53:02 AM

Looks like Rudolf Buchbinder's cycle has been reissued at a budget price.  Perhaps I'll get it.

It is a new recording, a live recording. I have ordered it already and expect to receive it witin a week or so.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Re Todd:

That's like saying perhaps the sun will rise again.  ;D

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 11:07:17 AMIt is a new recording, a live recording.

Hmm, a new cycle.  Good thing I already ordered it.  Now I have to wait a whole month until the next brand new cycle, by Peter Takacs, is released.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on June 28, 2011, 11:11:28 AM

Hmm, a new cycle.  Good thing I already ordered it.  Now I have to wait a whole month until the next brand new cycle, by Peter Takacs, is released.

How many cycles do you own?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on June 28, 2011, 01:05:01 PMHow many cycles do you own?

At least one less than I need.

The Buchbinder will make it 62.  I think.  (It may be only 61 - I'll have to recount.) 

premont

Quote from: Todd on June 28, 2011, 01:37:18 PM
The Buchbinder will make it 62.  I think.  (It may be only 61 - I'll have to recount.)

What about the Gilels cycle and the second Backhaus cycle (missing the Hammerklavier), or the late Arrau cycle (missing the Hammerklavier as well as the Mondschein)? Or do you only include strictly complete cycles in your count?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

zauberharfe

@Todd
would you be disposed to share the cycles you own? I also have some (rare ones, too) but I would be happy to have some tips what to buy next.

DavidW

That is a pretty good list Jens, with some interesting, insightful comments.  Thanks for sharing that list.  Also good to see more praise for Gulda. :)

George

Quote from: DavidW on June 29, 2011, 06:10:50 AM
That is a pretty good list Jens, with some interesting, insightful comments.  Thanks for sharing that list.  Also good to see more praise for Gulda. :)

Gulda's the man!  8)