Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 02, 2011, 07:23:14 AM
Thanks, George!  Can hardly wait.  For the first time I can remember, I am in the mood to listen to the lot, straight through.

I almost always prefer to listen to them chronologically. It's a fantastic journey.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

That was my first one Karl.  Enjoy!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 01, 2011, 11:28:37 PM

One important period pianist I forgot in the list for you, because his set even is incomplete so far, is Paul Komen (Globe), whom I mentioned earlier in this thread. His interpretatioms are conceived in a classical spirit, and are expressive without idiosyncrasies. His recordings are not just cheap but well worth the cost. Nobody knows if he is going to complete the set.

Link:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/22d46a7725f6c4527cdde565d1763a41/classic/search?rubric=classic&tracks=paul%20komen&pd_orderby=score&advancedsearch=1

have it bookmarked.  Am I right in undertsanding "innerhalb in 2-3 wochen" to be German for 'ships in 2-3 weeks"?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 02, 2011, 10:06:32 AM

have it bookmarked.  Am I right in undertsanding "innerhalb in 2-3 wochen" to be German for 'ships in 2-3 weeks"?

You're right, but you shouldn't forget this part:

(soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten) = (if it is available from the supplier)

This is important because JPC charges flat rates on its international shippings and when a specific item is not available, they simply cancel that part of your order and they send the remaining part what it is not usually a good deal for you.

kishnevi

Quote from: toñito on July 02, 2011, 10:21:58 AM

This is important because JPC charges flat rates on its international shippings and when a specific item is not available, they simply cancel that part of your order and they send the remaining part what it is not usually a good deal for you.

[puts up a sticky to remind himself not to order from JPC unless it's really absolutely necessary]
Gracias.  But I'll keep the bookmark up to remind myself  to look for Komen on other sites.

premont

Quote from: toñito on July 02, 2011, 10:21:58 AM

Do you mean, that North- and South- American´s should avoid to order from JPC if the CDs are not on stock? 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 02, 2011, 10:52:10 AM
[puts up a sticky to remind himself not to order from JPC unless it's really absolutely necessary]
Gracias.  But I'll keep the bookmark up to remind myself  to look for Komen on other sites.

I think the Komen Waldstien is quite an eye opener in the first movement especially -- the wonderful piano gives an earthy, gutsy, joyful  quality to the music, I think. And there's a good one with the Diabelli Variations and some bagatelles.

By the way, I listened to Gilels plaing WoO 47/ 2 last night and quite enjoyed it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 02, 2011, 10:52:10 AM

They are apparently easily available. Presto Classical and MDT lists them and even Amazon.com.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 02, 2011, 12:01:04 PM
By the way, I listened to Gilels plaing WoO 47/ 2 last night and quite enjoyed it.

I always considered the three Electoral sonatas to be underrated. They are inventive and expressive works, which should be comtained in  every sonata integral.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mc ukrneal

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 02, 2011, 11:59:20 AM
Do you mean, that North- and South- American´s should avoid to order from JPC if the CDs are not on stock?
This will really depend on your order size. If you have a lot of items, one not shipping will not impact the cost per disc/set much. But if you have only a few and one or more doesn't ship, it might not make the purchase economical.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 02, 2011, 11:59:20 AM
Do you mean, that North- and South- American´s should avoid to order from JPC?

No, not at all. JPC is one of my favorite stores. But their "ordinary" prices (not their items on special offer) are generally high for non-European standards and their flat shipping rates are criminal (EUR 28 to Chile). So when I order some items from JPC, I need to be sure that all of them will be available in order to prorate the shipping costs. If I just get a half of my order, it will usually be (from a financial perspective) a bad deal. Therefore, my usual policy is to choose principally those items "am Lager".     

premont

Quote from: toñito on July 02, 2011, 12:24:31 PM
... their flat shipping rates are criminal (EUR 28 to Chile).

:o :o :o

Quote from: toñito
Therefore, my usual policy is to choose principally those items "am Lager".   

So Klinkhammer was financial suicide. I hope Book II is better than Book I, but I doubt it will be.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 02, 2011, 12:37:06 PM

:o :o :o

So Klinkhammer was financial suicide. I hope Book II is better than Book I, but I doubt it will be.

Not really because I ordered it from Amazon.de.... Fortunately.   :)

kishnevi

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 02, 2011, 12:04:34 PM
They are apparently easily available. Presto Classical and MDT lists them and even Amazon.com.

So I've found out.  Vol. 2 is the scarcest, it seems (Presto out of stock,  Amazon US Marketplace has one copy for sale for approx. $30.   So I just ordered it from MDT, which apparently has it in stock.   Vol. 1, 3,4 and 5 are on my Amazon wishlist for now.

So, G-d willing, I'll be hearing the Op. 53 of which Mandryka speaks before long. 

BTW, no one seems to be listing the Diabelli Variations. 

Clever Hans

Charles Rosen gets no love, why?

I prefer players who communicate the late sonatas as avant-garde works, plus Rosen has interesting rubato and historical understanding up through Debussy and Webern. Makes Brendel look like a lightweight. People forget that he studied with Moriz Rosenthal.

I would say Gulda or Gilels or Kempff + Hungerford + late Rosen + late Pollini. Mono Serkin.
Gilels for his unique integrity and sound and phenomenal #7 and #25.
then Schnabel for humor and spontaneity (I would put him first for someone who does not listen with headphones and can tolerate old recordings).
Richter for later on.
For an abridged first view Gulda (or Schnabel or Gilels or Kempff) + Rosen.

Fortepiano ("... from a more civilized age")
Brautigam esp. Vol 6.
Late sonatas perhaps Lubimov & Komen. 

Holden

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 06:23:43 PM
6/32  :-[

From his website:

Sonata No. 8 Pathetique

Sonata No. 14 Moonlight

Sonata No. 15 Pastoral: 1969, New York and 1983, Brussels

Sonata No. 23 Appassionata

Sonata No. 26 Les Adieux: 1969, New York and 1970, Vienna

Sonata No. 27 Op. 90

I'm listening now to Moravec and it's his subtle touch and shading that add a dimension to Beethoven that many don't seem to strive for. I have 8, 14, 26 and 27. I've heard 23 but don't have it (thought I did somewhere) and have never heard his Pastoral and would love to as it's one of my favourite LvB PS to both listen to and play. I'll hunt it out from somewhere.
Cheers

Holden

Que

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 02, 2011, 01:05:35 PM

BTW, no one seems to be listing the Diabelli Variations.

Must be very rare by now, but very worthwhile IMO! :)

Since the fortepiano in the Beethoven-Haus was used, they sell it in their webshop - might be wirth a try...but I'm not making any promises. ::)

Q

kishnevi

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on July 02, 2011, 02:07:44 PM

Since the fortepiano in the Beethoven-Haus was used, they sell it in their webshop - might be wirth a try...but I'm not making any promises. ::)

Q

Thanks, I suppose. My checking account is going to hate you when I order from there.  Site is bookmarked. About four other CDs that seem interesting....Good thing the Mahler birthplace doesn't have a gift shop.*

*And if it has one,  my checking account demands that you don't tell me about it!

Coopmv

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 02, 2011, 07:19:42 AM
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on this 'un:

[asin]B001CGJ3QS[/asin]

1 down and 2 more to go ...

premont

Quote from: Clever Hans on July 02, 2011, 01:13:56 PM
Charles Rosen gets no love, why?

I this "take" we discussed complete (or near complete) sets. This is the reason, why Rosen was not mentioned. If we had discussed recordings of the late sonatas, I would have mentioned him fairly early, as I like his authoritative but still unmannered playing very much. In the same way I have also enjoyed his recording of the Art of Fugue.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν