Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Marcabru on March 28, 2018, 03:50:37 AM
Pristine Classical offers the complete Decca early '50s mono cycle for $182 - which is too rich for my blood.  I dunno, I am not sure it is *that* much better than the stereo set.
Thanks! But that's definitely too rich for me as well!

Quote from: George on March 28, 2018, 05:52:50 AM
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B00005FKXU/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&qid=1522245121&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=beethoven+backhaus+sonatas

With thanks to Jens Laurson for finding the link.  $:)
Thanks as well ... hm, that one, too ... was hoping I was just too stoopid to find the right "domestic" edition.

But then I have so many recordings around (not nearly as many as Todd, of course, but ...)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on March 28, 2018, 07:04:05 AM
Thanks! But that's definitely too rich for me as well!

They offer it a bit cheaper without the plastic cases: €104.50 (approx. $129.67) - 11 CD only in plastic sleeve (+MP3)

Mandryka

Quote from: king ubu on March 28, 2018, 03:28:17 AM

*) except for the mono "Hammerklavier" - no stereo recording of that around?

I have this recording, I can't tell if it's mono or stereo, maybe it's too early for stereo, I don't know,  whatever it is it's very good and every home should have one.

http://www.meloclassic.com/shop/wilhelm-backhaus-2/
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 28, 2018, 07:17:45 AM
I have this recording, I can't tell if it's mono or stereo, maybe it's too early for stereo, I don't know,  whatever it is it's very good and every home should have one.

There are two other live recordings of op.106 also in mono. One from Beethovenhalle, Bonn and one from Carnegie Hall.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Marcabru on March 28, 2018, 03:50:37 AM
Pristine Classical offers the complete Decca early '50s mono cycle for $182 - which is too rich for my blood.  I dunno, I am not sure it is *that* much better than the stereo set.

Others more knowledgable than I might know of other versions available, but the Pristine set has been pitch corrected and with spiffed up audio.  However, I haven't heard any of it, although there are samples at the site.

I don't trust Pristine Audio and their shenanigans (or their shill reviewers at a few particular reviewing-sites), but that's just me and more instinct than actual bad experience.

As per Backhaus' Mono Set (thanks for the thanks, George, re: my link-squirreling) I suspect you might be onto something. I should point out that GMG resident LvB-Sonata chief Todd prefers the Backhaus mono cycle to the stereo cycle. I have both, because I LOVE Backhaus, eventually getting that set from Japan. Despite the rarity and cost and the felt triumph of having attained it, it did not shoot up my list to become the new favorite. I'm not sure if I don't prefer the stereo set by a small margin; in any case it's pretty even. I love them both. This is different from Kempff, where I really do think that the Mono set is worth listening to over the stereo set for the playful, more lively character, which is notably different. W/Backhaus, even moreso than with Kempff, both sets are definitely late Backhaus (as opposed to middle-late Kempff vs pretty-late-Kempff).

Baron Scarpia

Really crazy that a set with such legendary status has not been released in a reasonable edition, especially since Decca Japan has already done the work of making digital masters.

In any case, now I can imagine how divine it is without worrying about being disappointed by actually hearing it.

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 28, 2018, 10:39:50 AM

I should point out that GMG resident LvB-Sonata chief Todd prefers the Backhaus mono cycle to the stereo cycle. I have both, because I LOVE Backhaus, eventually getting that set from Japan. Despite the rarity and cost and the felt triumph of having attained it, it did not shoot up my list to become the new favorite. I'm not sure if I don't prefer the stereo set by a small margin; in any case it's pretty even. I love them both. .... both sets are definitely late Backhaus (as opposed to middle-late Kempff vs pretty-late-Kempff).

I also own both sets. I tend to agree with you, considering them pretty even.

George

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 28, 2018, 10:39:50 AM
I don't trust Pristine Audio and their shenanigans (or their shill reviewers at a few particular reviewing-sites), but that's just me and more instinct than actual bad experience.

I have compared a number of Pristine releases to other transfers and in each case the Pristine sounded unnatural and overly processed.

QuoteAs per Backhaus' Mono Set (thanks for the thanks, George, re: my link-squirreling) I suspect you might be onto something. I should point out that GMG resident LvB-Sonata chief Todd prefers the Backhaus mono cycle to the stereo cycle. I have both, because I LOVE Backhaus, eventually getting that set from Japan. Despite the rarity and cost and the felt triumph of having attained it, it did not shoot up my list to become the new favorite. I'm not sure if I don't prefer the stereo set by a small margin; in any case it's pretty even. I love them both. This is different from Kempff, where I really do think that the Mono set is worth listening to over the stereo set for the playful, more lively character, which is notably different. W/Backhaus, even moreso than with Kempff, both sets are definitely late Backhaus (as opposed to middle-late Kempff vs pretty-late-Kempff).

Of course, the stereo set has the advantage of much better sound. To me, though, for performance, in the first (mono) set Backhaus sounds bit fresher, a little more alive.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Anyone familiar with this cycle?  New from Hyperion.

Beethoven Unbound : Llŷr Williams (piano)

André

Received today (ordered last November  ???):

The box is damaged, as if it had been lodged under some very heavy load. But it's there, and it cost 2€... My first LvB set since Heidsieck's from a few years ago. I love most of the sonatas, but have never considered myself a True Believer, let alone a collector. Should be interesting.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Marcabru on March 30, 2018, 06:25:48 AM
Anyone familiar with this cycle?  New from Hyperion.

Beethoven Unbound : Llŷr Williams (piano)

My coworker got it and we played some pieces.  What I heard was rock solid.  I'm not sure what makes it "unbound"....One interesting feature is that it is 13 discs, with a lot of rearranging from linear order, and  other LvB solo piano pieces (bagatelles, fantasias, variations, etc) mixed in here and there to make an original program.  The mic placement may have been a little close, but could have been my friend's speakers or stereo (or the volume--we were playing it pretty loudly).   
It's all good...

SurprisedByBeauty

And it's the opening shot of the next chapter in the grand Beethoven Piano Sonata Cycle Survey!

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2018/04/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete.html

Mandryka

A perfectly respectable middle of the road performance of op 111 from Hans Henkemans here in this LP, I believe there was a transfer to CD. Satisfying like his Mozart in that it's got a smallest bowl of porridge quality - it's just right. No new ideas or anything like that, just a thoroughly satisfying conventional performance.

Mandryka

Documentary on Beghin's late Beethoven recording

http://www.orpheusinstituut.be/en/news/2017/09/inside-the-hearing-machine

prémont

I cannot find Mandryka's post about the Backhaus Hammerklaviersonata live from Ludwigsburg 1953, but the post alerted me to get hold of the recording. And this is one of the most titanic interpretations I have heard, harboring much more drive and tension than Backhaus' commercial Decca mono recording from almost the same time. Sound is good for its time. Strongly recommended and thanks to Mandryka.

Available here:

or here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8404468--wilhelm-backhaus-recital-concertos

George

Anyone happen to have a promo code for Meloclassics?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 08, 2018, 06:26:33 AM
I cannot find Mandryka's post about the Backhaus Hammerklaviersonata live from Ludwigsburg 1953, but the post alerted me to get hold of the recording. And this is one of the most titanic interpretations I have heard, harboring much more drive and tension than Backhaus' commercial Decca mono recording from almost the same time. Sound is good for its time. Strongly recommended and thanks to Mandryka.

Available here:

or here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8404468--wilhelm-backhaus-recital-concertos

I'm glad you liked it. I think that concert in 1953 was just a night when he was particularly inspired, the op 2/3 is also outstanding I think -- a different night (I just checked!)

Holden

This performance can be heard on Spotify.
Cheers

Holden

prémont

Quote from: Holden on April 09, 2018, 04:09:37 AM
This performance can be heard on Spotify.

In my country (and probably many others) Spotify is unavailable.