Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

For those interested, the Paul Lewis set on HM is available at BRO for 49.90$

Wanderer

I have to say I wasn't at all impressed by Barenboim's DVD cycle. To my ears it's mostly generic with haphazard good moments. Unless found very cheaply (for the included masterclass documentaries), not recommended.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Wanderer on February 02, 2010, 11:39:16 PM
I have to say I wasn't at all impressed by Barenboim's DVD cycle. To my ears it's mostly generic with haphazard good moments. Unless found very cheaply (for the included masterclass documentaries), not recommended.

Quite surprised to see a comment like this. I could undertand if someone complained about the mistakes he sometimes made or some of his choices in some of the sontatas. But the whole time I was watching, I always felt I was listening to someone who had really gotten underneath and into the pieces, someone with long experience playing them. I found myself often thinking about them long after I had heard them.  So while I would not choose this as a first choice or the choice if I could only have one, I thought this would make a great supplement (especially if one wanted to watch). Then again, I saw it for free on TV (well, pay cable, so not exactly free either), so maybe my reaction would be different if I shelled out $100 or whatever it costs.

Putting the money aside, I felt there was a lot to be learned and gained here.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

George

Those who are curious about the Barenboim EMI set (as I am) can sample the Appassionata first movement here.

Wanderer

Quote from: ukrneal on February 03, 2010, 12:23:15 AM
...the mistakes he sometimes made or some of his choices in some of the sontatas.

Mistakes I don't mind so much, after all these are live performances. It's the interpretations that mostly don't click. Thankfully, I got the set really cheap; it's good to have around as a visual document and for some occasional good insights he brings to the music; in general, though, this is nowhere near a top cycle in my book.

Scarpia

Oh dear, do I really need another one, but how to resist this for just over 35 bucks.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on February 03, 2010, 03:16:32 PM
Oh dear, do I really need another one, but how to resist this for just over 35 bucks.

A splendid choice. It was something like my 10th set (albeit incomplete), but I did not regret it. My only complaint is that the outer movements tend to be slower than I like. But the slow movements are to die for!

Scarpia

Looking forward to it.

What are the best choices for Beethoven Sonatas on Forte-Piano?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Scarpia on February 04, 2010, 07:51:08 AM

Good question - Ronald Brautigam on BIS is up to Vol. 7 (I believe) - not sure how many more volumes are planned, and of course BIS will eventually put out a 'cheaper' box - could be years?

Not sure if there are other complete sets existing or ongoing on the fortepiano, so will look forward to additional comments -  :D

Clever Hans

Brautigam isn't just doing the sonatas, but the complete music for solo piano. There is most probably one more disc left for the sonatas, i.e. vol 8.

I highly recommend these recordings. I'd start with volume 6.

There is also Paul Komen, whom I haven't heard but many people seem to enjoy.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on February 04, 2010, 07:51:08 AM
Looking forward to it.

I can't say, as they are not my forte.  8)

Todd

Quote from: Scarpia on February 04, 2010, 07:51:08 AMWhat are the best choices for Beethoven Sonatas on Forte-Piano?

There are limited choices if you want to go complete.  Brautigam is almost done and is mixed (at least for me); Paul Badura-Skoda recorded a period cycle, but it's hard to find complete (though single volumes pop up); Malcolm Binns on L'Oiseau Lyre is out there; and Hiroaki Ooi is a newcomer.  For incomplete cycles, Paul Komen's is almost universally lauded.  That's what I will most likely try next in the period arena. 

Alexei Lubimov, Melvyn Tan, Jos van Immerseel, and John Khouri have apparently recorded some as well.  (There are no doubt others.)  I also read that Andrea Lucchesini has perfomed some LvB on period instruments.  I'd like to hear that, on disc or in person.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

prémont

Quote from: Todd on February 04, 2010, 07:17:06 PM
Malcolm Binns on L'Oiseau Lyre is out there;

I have never seen but the late sonatas on Explore.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Has anyone here heard this CD -- which contains a recording of Cortot in Op 109 -- a late recording I guess?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cortot-Plays-Chopin-Liszt-Beethoven/dp/B0000064B5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265467317&sr=1-1
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2010, 05:45:28 AM
Has anyone here heard this CD -- which contains a recording of Cortot in Op 109 -- a late recording I guess?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cortot-Plays-Chopin-Liszt-Beethoven/dp/B0000064B5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265467317&sr=1-1

Haven't heard it until today, just listened to the samples of that sonata and it sounds great! I hope that we one day see that rumored set of the 32 Beethoven sonatas by the pianist get released on CD.   :-\

Mandryka

Quote from: George on February 06, 2010, 05:52:24 AM
Haven't heard it until today, just listened to the samples of that sonata and it sounds great! I hope that we one day see that rumored set of the 32 Beethoven sonatas by the pianist get released on CD.   :-\

Just found out that the 109 is from a piano roll.

Sorry.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2010, 09:16:01 AM

Roll over Beethoven??
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2010, 09:16:01 AM

Sorry.

Thanks for the warning. I almost bought the CD this morning.