Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 30, 2011, 03:12:22 AM
Now I think we have supplied Jens with much stuff for the updating of his list.

Which ones, actually? I've been looking at the list, but it's overwhelming.

Buchbinder II, obviously... what else have I missed or has been added in the last two years?

premont

Quote from: jlaurson on June 30, 2011, 03:15:47 AM
Which ones, actually? I've been looking at the list, but it's overwhelming.

Buchbinder II, obviously... what else have I missed or has been added in the last two years?

Your list is incomplete. And as far as I can see, it includes no recordings made after 2005.

Where are

Biret
Brautigam
Gulda 1 (not the one you call Gulda 1, which really is Gulda 2)
Paik
Lortie
Lewis
Oppitz
Schiff
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 29, 2011, 08:51:06 PM
I have some of the Murray Hill/Vox cycle, the last five from the first Philips cycle, and the complete second Philips cycle.   There are, essentially, some good points about each of them.  But like you,  I don't have that much to compare Brendel against--the only other complete cycles I own are Lewis and Schiff, and scatterings of other pianists (for instance,  Uchida's mini cycle of the late sonatas).  Each has its own strengths and flaws,  but I'm fairly satisfied with what I have.   I do have my eye on Kempff as my next purchase in this category.

Yes, I also have a smattering from the likes of Serkin and Moravec (two favorites) and the cycle from Schnabel on Pearl thanks to my buddy George here.  I continue to forget that I also have the Gulda from '67 set in the Complete Beethoven Edition I own.  I have not given those a listen yet, but hear they are worth my time.  Can someone here clear up how many cycles he has with dates and where my run fits in.  As far as the Kempff goes, I have the stereo cycle, but many here enjoy the mono so you may want to consider which one you want to start with.

Now continuing my survey of the Brendel Murray Hill/Vox: Sonata No. 2

PS If I am playing one of your favorites from the cycle during my complete overview, please let me know so I can give it an extra spin.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 30, 2011, 03:48:56 AM
Your list is incomplete. And as far as I can see, it includes no recordings made after 2005.

Where are

Biret
Brautigam
Gulda 1 (not the one you call Gulda 1, which really is Gulda 2)
Paik
Lortie
Lewis
Oppitz
Schiff

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/06/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete_29.html

Brautigam I will have to add, ditto Gulda "0", both of them weren't out then.

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 30, 2011, 05:04:17 AMI continue to forget that I also have the Gulda from '67 set in the Complete Beethoven Edition I own.  I have not given those a listen yet, but hear they are worth my time.  Can someone here clear up how many cycles he has with dates and where my run fits in.

IMO, the one you have is his best set. I believe Todd agrees. :)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2011, 02:25:44 AMYou forgot Gould

No I didn't; I don't have Gould.  I've heard some.  I don't want Gould.

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 30, 2011, 03:03:30 AM
Thanks for this list, Todd. We have (of course) a lot of overlapping. But this is my list:

...Gieseking  1 & 2

Do you have the incomplete EMI cycle on LP, and where/how did you get it?  That's one of my holy grails, the other being Robert Riefling's cycle.

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 06:12:39 AMI believe Todd agrees.

Indeed.  The Amadeo set is the Gulda set to get. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

BOY, those lists are overwhelming and probably pretty much exhaustive of the choices!  :D

So, since there are some 'new' sets out there, what might be the top half dozen 'best' options for us who may want another set or two?  Thanks in advance -   :)

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 06:12:39 AM
IMO, the one you have is his best set. I believe Todd agrees. :)

Is the one I have his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd cycle?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

premont

Quote from: Todd on June 30, 2011, 06:26:24 AM
Do you have the incomplete EMI cycle on LP, and where/how did you get it? 

Many years ago I owned some of the LPs (a gift from my father) but I parted with them later. I thought Gieseking was too prosaic. My point of reference was of course Kempff. But I wanted to acquire the recordings again for historical (and maybe sentimental) reasons. Now the set has been rereleased by Idis (2009) in acceptable sound quality:

Link:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/22d46a7725f6c4527cdde565d1763a41/classic/search?interpret=beethoven&rubric=classic&tracks=gieseking&pd_orderby=score&advancedsearch=1

Vol. 1, 2 and 3 are the EMI recordings. The content of vol. 4 is released by Tahra already.

Quote from: Todd
That's one of my holy grails, the other being Robert Riefling's cycle.

Mine too. If you ever see the Riefling rereleased, please tell me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bogey

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 30, 2011, 07:21:48 AM
Many years ago I owned some of the LPs (a gift from my father) but I parted with them later. I thought Gieseking was too prosaic. My point of reference was of course Kempff. But I wanted to acquire the recordings again for historical (and maybe sentimental) reasons. Now the set has been rereleased by Idis (2009) in acceptable sound quality:

Link:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/22d46a7725f6c4527cdde565d1763a41/classic/search?interpret=beethoven&rubric=classic&tracks=gieseking&pd_orderby=score&advancedsearch=1

Vol. 1, 2 and 3 are the EMI recordings. The content of vol. 4 is released by Tahra already.

Thanks!  As far as the Gieseking recordings go, would you prefer the lps over the cd releases, even though they would be more difficult to track down (I am guessing)?

premont

Quote from: jlaurson on June 30, 2011, 05:31:37 AM
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/06/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete_29.html

Brautigam I will have to add, ditto Gulda "0", both of them weren't out then.

Thanks for the update. Jens. This was not contained in your first list (reply 813 in this thread).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 30, 2011, 07:08:40 AM
So, since there are some 'new' sets out there, what might be the top half dozen 'best' options for us who may want another set or two?  Thanks in advance -   :)

Which sets do you own already. I recall faintly something with Frankl.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 30, 2011, 07:21:48 AMNow the set has been rereleased by Idis (2009) in acceptable sound quality:

Excellent, I'll have to investigate the Gieseking I think.

I'm hoping some enterprising company reissues the Riefling at some point.  I managed to track down six of the LPs, but I want the whole shebang.

Are you looking for more recent recordings, or is that not important?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on June 30, 2011, 07:32:56 AM

Are you looking for more recent recordings, or is that not important?

Hi Todd - well, I have only Annie Fischer & Kempff (the latter from the mid-60s) - probably would like both a 'period instrument' and a more modern set - thanks for any suggestions from you or others -  :) Dave

premont

Quote from: Bogey on June 30, 2011, 07:27:48 AM
Thanks!  As far as the Gieseking recordings go, would you prefer the lps over the cd releases, even though they would be more difficult to track down (I am guessing)?

As I parted with the LPs about 20 years agp no A/B test is practicable. And also the HIFI gear I owned 20 years ago was not up to what I own to day. So I can not answer your question easily. All I can say is, that the sound on the Isis CDs resonably well evokes the sound quality and character I remember from the LPs.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bogey

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 30, 2011, 07:43:32 AM
As I parted with the LPs about 20 years agp no A/B test is practicable. And also the HIFI gear I owned 20 years ago was not up to what I own to day. So I can not answer your question easily. All I can say is, that the sound on the Isis CDs resonably well evokes the sound quality and character I remember from the LPs.

Ah.  It sounds as if I come by the lps in the used bin for a low price then they would be worth snatching up.  Thanks! :)

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 30, 2011, 07:43:12 AMHi Todd - well, I have only Annie Fischer & Kempff (the latter from the mid-60s) - probably would like both a 'period instrument' and a more modern set - thanks for any suggestions from you or others

I can't be of much assistance on the period instrument front since all I've heard is Brautigam, which I find good to start but less compelling in the later works, but among more recent cycles I'd suggest Lucchesini (if you can find it), Lortie, Wehr, Lipkin, or perhaps Sheppard.  Though older, Eric Heidsieck's cycle has its substantial charms, too.

premont

1/ 2: Kempff stereo and Backhaus stereo.
    3: Arrau (1960es Philips set). Probably an acquired taste though.
    4: Badura-Skoda (the HIP set preferable for historical reasons, but the Gramola set offers also fine musicianship on a Bösendorfer)
    5: Heidsieck
    6: Annie Fischer

Lortie and O´Connor are outstanding but very much in the Kempff vein and Buchbinder 1 is much in the Backhaus vein. Buchbinder 2 arrived to day, but is unlistened to so far. Luccesini (live recording) offers a sympathic middle of the road performance.

Contrary to the consensus in this forum I am not that keen on Gulda. I find too much athletic showmanship and too little music in his playing.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Bogey on June 30, 2011, 07:45:28 AM
Ah.  It sounds as if I come by the lps in the used bin for a low price then they would be worth snatching up.  Thanks! :)

Yes, I would agree with this.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν