Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 30, 2011, 07:43:12 AM
Hi Todd - well, I have only Annie Fischer ...

This statement recalls an episode of Happy Days when Mr. C told Fonzie that it was "just a motorcycle," to which Fonzie replied "and I suppose your mother was just a Mother!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 08:40:16 AM

This statement recalls an episode of Happy Days when Mr. C told Fonzie that it was "just a motorcycle," to which Fonzie replied "and I suppose your mother was just a Mother!

Classic!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Holden

When we talk about complete sets there is another genre - sets by a pianist that were never completed by him/her for whatever reason. In this vein there are some outstanding sets that can still be had despite the fact that up to 10 of them are missing. I'm talking about the likes of:

Richter 21/32
Gilels (already mentioned by Todd) 26/32
Hungerford 22/32
Solomon 18/32

The latter two, if completed, could have been the greatest sets ever produced. Hungerford's performances are always excellent and the same goes for Solomon.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on June 30, 2011, 11:58:19 AM
The latter two, if completed, could have been the greatest sets ever produced. Hungerford's performances are always excellent and the same goes for Solomon.

Three things:

1. I just ordered the final missing sonata CD by Solomon on Testament, so thanks.

2. Are his concerto recordings on the same label of the same caliber?

3. Let's not forget Moravec, who really should have recorded a lot more Beethoven.  :-\

zauberharfe

Let me also mention Bruno-Leonardo Gelber (who has recorded only ;D 19 of the 32). If someone sees turning up this half-cycle (on Denon) at an affordable price don't hesitate for a moment!

Another name to remember is Vera Gornostaeva (pupil of Neuhaus, undeservedly forgotten).

They're not just two more names to come up with something but are really something special. Let me know if you want samples.

Mandryka

Gilels's is actually no less complete than Schnabel's. Schnabel left out the three WoO 47. Gilels left out the two 26 and 32 but included two of the WoOs.

It would be good to see Paul Komen finish his cycle.

I regret we didn't have more from Elly Ney and Sofronitsky. And I'm curious about what the Cortot recordings are like.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

When we talk about complete sets there is another genre - sets by a pianist that were never completed by him/her for whatever reason. In this vein there are some outstanding sets that can still be had despite the fact that up to 10 of them are missing. I'm talking about the likes of:

Richter 21/32
Hungerford 22/32
Solomon 18/32

The most regrattable not completed set IMO is Paul Komen´s . BTW he may happen to complete it some day.
I think Solomon,Hungerford and Gilels intended to make a complete set, but was interrupted by ilness resp. death.
Richter on the other hand never harboured the intention to make a complete set,  as far as I know he had not studied all the sonatas, and his recordings are very uneven and it is hard to find the optimal options.
Other partially completed sets are (from the top of my head) Kempff´s prewar set, Hans Richter-Haaser, Melvin Tan, 

Strictly spoken only a few complete sets are indeed complete since the Electoral sonatas are missing from most sets.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2011, 01:17:55 PM
Gilels's is actually no less complete than Schnabel's. Schnabel left out the three WoO 47. Gilels left out the two 26 and 32 but included two of the WoOs.

It would be good to see Paul Komen finish his cycle.

I regret we didn't have more from Elly Ney and Sofronitsky. And I'm curious about what the Cortot recordings are like.

Sorry, I had not seen your post, before writing mine. But at least we agree very much.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 12:45:34 PM
Three things:
2. Are his concerto recordings on the same label of the same caliber?

Almost better, his recordings of Concertos 1 and 2 are among my top choices.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: zauberharfe on June 30, 2011, 01:17:39 PM
Let me also mention Bruno-Leonardo Gelber (who has recorded only ;D 19 of the 32). If someone sees turning up this half-cycle (on Denon) at an affordable price don't hesitate for a moment!

Not my cup of tea. Intolerably overstated interpretations IMO.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 30, 2011, 08:16:17 AM
1/ 2: Kempff stereo and Backhaus stereo.
    3: Arrau (1960es Philips set). Probably an acquired taste though.
    4: Badura-Skoda (the HIP set preferable for historical reasons, but the Gramola set offers also fine musicianship on a Bösendorfer)
    5: Heidsieck
    6: Annie Fischer

2: Backhaus stereo.
    2: Kempff mono
    3: Gulda "2" (counting: 0, 1, 2)
    4: Gilels
    5: Arrau (1960s)

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 08:40:16 AM

Hey George - LOL!  ;D  Well, as I recall, you convinced me to buy the Annie Fischer despite the price (although I did find a decent deal back then) - still great listening to my humble ears -  ;) :D  Dave

Bogey

Richter 21/32
Hungerford 22/32
Solomon 18/32

Where does Moravec land with numbers?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 30, 2011, 02:36:45 PM
Hey George - LOL!  ;D  Well, as I recall, you convinced me to buy the Annie Fischer despite the price (although I did find a decent deal back then) - still great listening to my humble ears -  ;) :D  Dave

On a per CD basis, the Annie Fischer's set is still the most expensive box I have ever bought at $106.  I hope to find time to have a second listen for at least some of my favorite sonatas before the summer is over ...

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 30, 2011, 05:05:47 PM
Where does Moravec land with numbers?

6/32  :-[

From his website:

Sonata No. 8 Pathetique

Sonata No. 14 Moonlight

Sonata No. 15 Pastoral: 1969, New York and 1983, Brussels

Sonata No. 23 Appassionata

Sonata No. 26 Les Adieux: 1969, New York and 1970, Vienna

Sonata No. 27 Op. 90

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 06:23:43 PM
6/32  :-[

From his website:

Sonata No. 8 Pathetique

Sonata No. 14 Moonlight

Sonata No. 15 Pastoral: 1969, New York and 1983, Brussels

Sonata No. 23 Appassionata

Sonata No. 26 Les Adieux: 1969, New York and 1970, Vienna

Sonata No. 27 Op. 90

That is an 0.188 batting average....there are pitchers with a better average.  Still, the ones we have are beauties. :)

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 30, 2011, 06:31:34 PM
That is an 0.188 batting average....there are pitchers with a better average.  Still, the ones we have are beauties. :)

Yeah, I'll take his 6 over many pianists 32 any day.

karlhenning

Forgive this newcomer to the thread, if this has already been discussed ... which complete set(s) do you consider good intersections of less expensive and good?

TIA

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 30, 2011, 06:58:47 PM
Forgive this newcomer to the thread, if this has already been discussed ... which complete set(s) do you consider good intersections of less expensive and good?

TIA

That would be Gulda on Amadeo, assuming it can still be had for it's original cheap price. EDIT: no, it's seems to now be OOP.

So, I'd say Kempff's stereo set: $26 new on amazon (that's 8 CDs): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CGJ3QS/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1309489622&sr=8-1-spell

kishnevi

Here's another permutation for the assembled wisdom.

What set(s) present the intersection of good, not expensive and HIP?