Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 30, 2011, 08:07:12 PM
What set(s) present the intersection of good, not expensive and HIP?

I suppose, that you mean PI = period instruments sets.

Only four complete sets have been made AFAIK, and they are all rather expensive or unavailable.

1) Malcolm Binns (only the late sonatas have been released on CD - the rest since long OOP LPs - have not heard these)

2) Malcolm Bilson and pupils (Claves - includes the "Kurfürsten" sonatas) for the most part enjoyable IMO.

3) Paul Badura-Skoda (the Astreé release) OOP but musically the most satisfying IMO

4) Ronald Brautigam (BIS - Includes the "Kurfürsten" sonatas as well) rather straight forward playing - sometimes a bit tiring.

The incomplete set by Melvin Tan (Virgin) is cheap. Tans playing is perfectionistic and often eartbound.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: jlaurson on June 30, 2011, 02:07:20 PM
    2: Backhaus stereo.
    2: Kempff mono
    3: Gulda "2" (counting: 0, 1, 2)
    4: Gilels
    5: Arrau (1960s)

High percentage of agreement it seems.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: jlaurson on July 01, 2011, 12:52:43 AM
Gulda is still available for an OK price; if you're in Europe still for a budget price:
Gulda "2", Decca, Amazon US
Gulda "2", Decca, Amazon Germany

I have the Gulda in the Decca and Brilliant (re) masterings and can't say that the AMSI gets at all in the way of enjoying the set.

I had forgotten that it was also on Decca. For some reason, your links both lead to a Mahler two-fer. I found the set over at amazon.us though. Link here.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

karlhenning

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 07:07:57 PM
That would be Gulda on Amadeo, assuming it can still be had for it's original cheap price. EDIT: no, it's seems to now be OOP.

So, I'd say Kempff's stereo set: $26 new on amazon (that's 8 CDs): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CGJ3QS/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1309489622&sr=8-1-spell

Thanks, George!

Quote from: jlaurson on July 01, 2011, 12:52:43 AM

This link actually takes me to an HvK Mahler two-fer.

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 01, 2011, 03:27:32 AM
Thanks, George!

This link actually takes me to an HvK Mahler two-fer.

See above.  8)

karlhenning

Do you mean this one, gents?

[asin]B000BQV52A[/asin]

karlhenning

Quote from: George on July 01, 2011, 03:29:31 AM
See above.  8)

Yes!  The "page break" hid your precedent observation, George : )

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 01, 2011, 03:30:11 AM
Do you mean this one, gents?

[asin]B000BQV52A[/asin]

Yep.

A word of caution, though. I strongly suggest you sample each before buying, as their styles are very different.

jlaurson

Quote from: George on June 30, 2011, 07:07:57 PM
That would be Gulda on Amadeo, assuming it can still be had for it's original cheap price. EDIT: no, it's seems to now be OOP.

So, I'd say Kempff's stereo set: $26 new on amazon (that's 8 CDs): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001CGJ3QS/goodmusicguide-20

Gulda is still available for an OK price; if you're in Europe still for a budget price:
Gulda "2", Decca, Amazon Germany

I have the Gulda in the Decca and Brilliant (re) masterings and can't say that the AMSI gets at all in the way of enjoying the set.

Anyone know the new Peter Takacs (SACD) set already?

Edit: Links fixed.

Bogey

Continuing my survey of the Brendel Murray Hill/Vox: Sonata No. 3
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Good morning, Bill!

It's time I re-acquaint myself with these.  Musically, I have fared far abroad, but these remain gold, of course
: )

Bogey

Do jump in Karl.  I am clueless when it comes to these and many other things, but enough support here at GMG that I should come out better for my effort.

As for No. 3, I really enjoyed the Adagio and the Scherzo: Allegro.  Did not know that this one was dedicated to Papa Haydn. :)  Brendel is playful self on the Allegro assai. 8)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 01, 2011, 05:14:59 AM
Good morning, Bill!

It's time I re-acquaint myself with these.  Musically, I have fared far abroad, but these remain gold, of course
: )

It brings me great pleasure to read this, Karl and I do hope that you let us know which one you choose and your impressions of it. I don't read the listening or purchases thread anymore, so if you could post a small bit here that'd be much appreciated.

karlhenning

Todd

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 30, 2011, 06:58:47 PMForgive this newcomer to the thread, if this has already been discussed ... which complete set(s) do you consider good intersections of less expensive and good?

Top choices meeting these criteria would be Kempff, Backhaus (stereo), or Heidsieck.  You can also get Lortie, Gilels, or Frank.  Seymour Lipkin's cycle is available for $20 in CD-ROM form and also comes with all of the scores.  The music is in MP3 format, so you'd have to sacrifice some sound quality.  In other words, there's plenty to choose from.

Quote from: jlaurson on July 01, 2011, 03:37:38 AMAnyone know the new Peter Takacs (SACD) set already?

It's not out yet and keeps getting delayed.  If it comes out as scheduled, I'll have it later this month
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on July 01, 2011, 06:27:25 AM

Top choices meeting these criteria would be Kempff, Backhaus (stereo), or Heidsieck.  You can also get Lortie, Gilels, or Frank. 

Haven't heard Lortie, but I agree with the others. Though the Backhaus is expensive and OOP, is it not? 

Todd

Quote from: George on July 01, 2011, 06:35:10 AMThough the Backhaus is expensive and OOP, is it not?

Amazon lists it for $52, and a seller for $30 something.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

premont

Quote from: Todd on July 01, 2011, 06:27:25 AM

Top choices meeting these criteria would be Kempff, Backhaus (stereo), or Heidsieck. 

Heartily seconded.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

karlhenning

jlaurson

Quote from: George on July 01, 2011, 06:35:10 AM
Haven't heard Lortie, but I agree with the others. Though the Backhaus is expensive and OOP, is it not?

The Lortie still awaits listening in my "Awaits Listening" cupboard.  :(

Nah, that's the MONO Backhaus that's impossible to get (last seen in Italy...)
The stereo was re-released four years ago in the US (a little before that in Germany)... and it's just magnificent.

Backhaus
Beethoven
Sonatas