Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 15, 2011, 11:17:40 PM
Note, that I talked about Bach´s music - not Beethoven´s.  Bach´s  music is so to say universal, permeated by musical symbolism and describing common human affects, and I think it it adequate to say, that the meaning is in the music, and that the performers task is to find and express that meaning,

Direct me to some reading, either in English or in French, which is about this symbolism. Please  :).
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: Leon on July 15, 2011, 07:15:25 AM
Well, that only goes to prove that two people can have very different impressions of the same performances.  I also have the Gilels and find myself listening to Kempff about 10 times for every 1 time I choose Gilels.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a very good thing. Otherwise discussion boards such as this one would be very dull places where everyone just says, "This guy's Beethoven is the best" "Yup" "yes" "oh yeah" "agreed"  :)
And then there'd be no reason for anyone else to play Beethoven!

I sometimes can't help but feel that when a performer/recording is given overflowing praise for a long time, that an inevitable backlash occurs and it becomes fashionable among some quarters to feel compelled to make negative comments about it.

Definitely agree with this too. It happens a lot with film too - thus the fashionable backlash against every single critically acclaimed movie by a token handful of people who think they "suck." I was part of the backlash against Avatar; my roommate in college was disgruntled about Citizen Kane!

George

Well, that only goes to prove that two people can have very different impressions of the same performances.  I also have the Gilels and find myself listening to Kempff about 10 times for every 1 time I choose Gilels.

And I enjoy them both equally.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 16, 2011, 07:22:32 AM
Direct me to some reading, either in English or in French, which is about this symbolism. Please  :).

The musical symbolism in Bachs music is most prominent in his sacred works (e.g. the cross figure). The treatise which opened my eyes to this world was a chapter in Albert Schweitzer´s classic book "J S Bach" written about a hundred years ago. I read it in German, but this book on Amazon uk.´s list seems to be a photo copy of the the book in English.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-S-Bach-Albert-Schweitzer/dp/1172310297/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310833425&sr=1-2

However, I suppose that this classic should be available in well assorted English libraries.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

If you Google : Symbolism in J S Bachs music, you will find some treatises about this topic, f.x. this:

http://www.mtio.com/articles/bissboo7.htm
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mandryka on July 15, 2011, 11:01:47 PM

I thought the first movement had some moments of artfulness -- particularly in the voice handling -- which robbed the work of its poetry.  The second movement was slightly more vigorous than I had remembered, nonetheless too leaden, elephantine,  and emotionally flat. Emotionally empty actually.

In the last fugue the tempo gradation is not as smooth as it could be.  I could hear precious little intensity in the arioso dolente, and very little grace in the second arioso.
Well, what I hear is a bit of the opposite. His 110 would not be a first choice for me, but the gentleness and elegance, in the opening movement for example, are a welcome relief compared to some others who seem to pound away. His use of rubato is gloriously restrained - I cannot stand it when some pianists feel they need to use it ALL the time, robbing the piece of its center. And then when he does use it, it accents the moment in a beautiful way.

The third movement seems a bit lacking compared to the first, but his vision is clearly there and he sticks to it. I don't understand the comment about lack of intensity. It could mean he doesn't drive forward enough, he doesn't play loudly enough, he doesn't pound the keys, etc. Perhaps you mean something else? In any case, the intensity is more of a slow burn than a burst.

All I can add, I guess, is that his Beethoven has given me many, many pleasures and inisghts into the music.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Drasko

Does anyone know are there any bootlegs of Zimerman playing op.111 around? He played it in recitals often maybe year or two ago.

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on July 18, 2011, 09:00:32 AM
Does anyone know are there any bootlegs of Zimerman playing op.111 around? He played it in recitals often maybe year or two ago.

Not as far as I know. In Beethoven sonatas I have him playing  the Waldstien from a concert in Salzburg in 1984 and the Pathetique from a concert a couple of years ago. Let me know if you want them

jwinter

Thanks for the various recommendations, folks!  I just received a copy of Eric Heidsieck's set in the mail today, and am listening to the Moonlight as I type.  Very nice indeed; I'll listen through the whole set over the next couple of weeks (good to find a productive use for the 40 minute commute :) .
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on July 18, 2011, 10:04:11 AM
Not as far as I know. In Beethoven sonatas I have him playing  the Waldstien from a concert in Salzburg in 1984 and the Pathetique from a concert a couple of years ago. Let me know if you want them

Sure, why not. Thanks. There is quite fine video of Pathetique by him on youtube, from Japan I think.
And please do let me know if op.111 shows up, I'm on bit of a op.111 kick now.

Quote from: jwinter on July 18, 2011, 05:33:39 PM
Thanks for the various recommendations, folks!  I just received a copy of Eric Heidsieck's set in the mail today, and am listening to the Moonlight as I type.  Very nice indeed; I'll listen through the whole set over the next couple of weeks (good to find a productive use for the 40 minute commute :) .

Wow, Bill sighting! Haven't seen that square jaw in years. Passing in the night or you'll be sticking around? Good to see you post anyhow.

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on July 19, 2011, 04:57:29 AM
I'm on bit of a op.111 kick now.

Some interesting ones I've heard recently -- Grinberg, Sokolov's Bolzano 2004, Pogorelich's second recording on DVD and the 2003 Athens concert (everything you would expect, but I love his style!) and Edith Vogel's live one from 1985. I have Lubimov's CD but I haven't given it much attention -- no good reason for that.

Also the Japanese remastering (from CD Japan) of Schnabel's second recording of it is well worth having

Drasko

Sokolov I have some older recording, LP transfer I think. It's very good but I really have to be in the mood for it or my mind starts to wander off somewhere around second variation.
Pogorelich first, studio recording doesn't work for me, molto semplice e cantabile doesn't seem to be his forte.
I have the Lubimov, but same as you haven't listened to it yet.

Last two I listened were Edwin Fischer ('54 live) and Pletnev from Carnegie Hall. Pletnev also doesn't do molto semplice but is to me far more interesting than Pogorelich. Fischer's technique struggles mightily making his third variation quite underwhelming, but from there he gets the serene mood perfectly right, and his tone is beautiful.

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on July 19, 2011, 10:38:32 AM
Sokolov I have some older recording, LP transfer I think. It's very good but I really have to be in the mood for it or my mind starts to wander off somewhere around second variation.
Pogorelich first, studio recording doesn't work for me, molto semplice e cantabile doesn't seem to be his forte.
I have the Lubimov, but same as you haven't listened to it yet.

Last two I listened were Edwin Fischer ('54 live) and Pletnev from Carnegie Hall. Pletnev also doesn't do molto semplice but is to me far more interesting than Pogorelich. Fischer's technique struggles mightily making his third variation quite underwhelming, but from there he gets the serene mood perfectly right, and his tone is beautiful.

That live EF is very dynamic -- I like it a lot.  I think  that Haskil was very moving in the theme to the arietta,  at 8'22 here

http://www.youtube.com/v/6deWQW9Ltcg

molto simplice? If you listen to Pogorelich in Athens you would think it's   adagio molto, semplice e cantabile not adagio,  molto semplice e cantabile  :)

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on July 19, 2011, 12:10:33 PM
That live EF is very dynamic -- I like it a lot.  I think  that Haskil was very moving in the theme to the arietta,  at 8'22 here

Don't get me wrong I quite like that Edwin Fischer, not very technically secure but immensely beautiful. Not familiar with Haskil, will give it a spin later (wow, that guy gullivior has uploaded a lot of complete op.111s to youtube, something to check out over next few days).

Quotemolto simplice? If you listen to Pogorelich in Athens you would think it's   adagio molto, semplice e cantabile not adagio,  molto semplice e cantabile  :)
These days he plays even Mephisto Waltz pretty much adagio molto. Orbital (if you remember him, he used to post here) wrote very fine review of recent Pogorelich recital.

http://www.seenandheard-international.com/2011/05/17/pogorelich-plays-chopin-in-istanbul/ 

jwinter

Quote from: Drasko link=topic=2302.msg537410#msg537410
Wow, Bill sighting! Haven't seen that square jaw in years. Passing in the night or you'll be sticking around? Good to see you post anyhow.

Howdy bro!    I don't have the spare time or CD budget that I once had, so I don't know if I'll be around every day; but I plan to stick around.

Cheers,
Bill (JW)

George

Quote from: jwinter on July 19, 2011, 05:17:47 PM
Howdy bro!    I don't have the spare time or CD budget that I once had, so I don't know if I'll be around every day; but I plan to stick around.

Cheers,
Bill (JW)

Glad to hear it Bill!

That's the trick, right? To stay in touch here without going broke.  :D

Drasko

Quote from: jwinter on July 19, 2011, 05:17:47 PM

Cheers,
Bill (JW)

That's perfectly fine. My budget isn't what it used to be as well, nor is the time. See you around bro. 8)

jwinter

Quote from: George on July 19, 2011, 05:37:53 PM
Glad to hear it Bill!

That's the trick, right? To stay in touch here without going broke.  :D

Yessir, that is indeed the trick ;D   I happily did manage to pull together a fairly comprehensive (for my tastes) CD collection over the years, so now I'm planning to spend a lot more time focused on enjoying what I've got, rather than compiling an endless shopping list.  That way madness lies.

So as not to completely derail the thread, my current listening has been to the Op. 2 sonatas.  I've spun Eric Heisdieck, Claude Frank, and Alfred Brendel (digital set) over the past couple of days (so far I prefer Frank -- very clean, classical approach).  Who's your favorite pianist in these early works, and why?

George

Quote from: jwinter on July 20, 2011, 06:20:55 AM
Yessir, that is indeed the trick ;D   I happily did manage to pull together a fairly comprehensive (for my tastes) CD collection over the years, so now I'm planning to spend a lot more time focused on enjoying what I've got, rather than compiling an endless shopping list.  That way madness lies.

Definitely.

QuoteSo as not to completely derail the thread, my current listening has been to the Op. 2 sonatas.  I've spun Eric Heisdieck, Claude Frank, and Alfred Brendel (digital set) over the past couple of days (so far I prefer Frank -- very clean, classical approach).  Who's your favorite pianist in these early works, and why?

Gulda (Brilliant/Amadeo) for Op. 2 as a whole. I love his clean, perky style in these works. For just Op. 2/1 and 2/2, my vote goes to Schnabel for his forward momentum and exuberance and Annie Fischer for intensity and tempo selection. However, neither of them get Op. 2/3 right, IMO. 

Here's my current faves, in order, for Op. 2:

1. Op 2/1 – Fischer/Schnabel --- Gulda, Ciccolini, Kovacevich, Backhaus, Barenboim, Nat, Serkin, Goode , Richter (Live Moscow, 1979)

2. Op 2/2 – Fischer/Schnabel/Hungerford – Casadesus, Gulda, Goode, Gilels, Barenboim, Backhaus, Nat

3. Op 2/3 – Goode/Gulda – Gilels, Kempff(m), Backhaus, Barenboim, Solomon(Pearl) Kovacevich, Solomon, Nat

Todd

Quote from: jwinter on July 20, 2011, 06:20:55 AMWho's your favorite pianist in these early works, and why?

From this thread.

2/1 – Fischer, Gulda, Pollini, Perahia, Schnabel

2/2 – Schnabel, Fischer, Gulda, Gulda (Orfeo), Hungerford

2/3 – Perahia, Fischer, Gulda, Backhaus, Brautigam

The pianists selected, Perahia excepted, generally play with a bit more heft or speed than usual, yet never lose sight of the more 'youthful' aspects of the sonatas, if you will.  (Okay, maybe Annie Fischer subjects the music to a heavy duty approach, but it works.)  Pollini is perhaps a bit of a surprise, but I really rather fancy his early LvB.  Perahia is his usual tonally mellifluous self, and keeps things a bit lighter.  Probably his best Beethoven to date that I've heard, though his 31/1 I heard in recital was also superb.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya