Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clever Hans

Interesting Kovacevich quote:

"I feel very claustrophobic with 'intellectual' approaches which don't have the physical strength. If you don't get that physical charge from the performance there's something lacking. Very few pianists today can bring this physical virtuoso thrill to what they're playing. It's out of fashion. A lot of today's fashionable ideas make it harder to get good Beethoven."

Opus106

Quote from: Clever Hans on October 03, 2011, 09:41:02 AM

"I feel very claustrophobic with 'intellectual' approaches which don't have the physical strength. If you don't get that physical charge from the performance there's something lacking. Very few pianists today can bring this physical virtuoso thrill to what they're playing. It's out of fashion. A lot of today's fashionable ideas make it harder to get good Beethoven."

Is there more available at the source of that quote?
Regards,
Navneeth

Todd

I'd bet quite a few pianists can bring a physical virtuoso thrill to what they play, but choose not to for a variety of reasons, some based on fashionable ideas and some not.  I wonder if Mr Kovacevich would revise his statement at all now, some twenty years later.  (I wonder if Alica Sara Ott will bring a bit of virtuoso thrill or flash to her playing, for instance.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Clever Hans

Quote from: Todd on October 03, 2011, 11:26:57 AM
I'd bet quite a few pianists can bring a physical virtuoso thrill to what they play, but choose not to for a variety of reasons, some based on fashionable ideas and some not.  I wonder if Mr Kovacevich would revise his statement at all now, some twenty years later.  (I wonder if Alica Sara Ott will bring a bit of virtuoso thrill or flash to her playing, for instance.)

Part of the problem is between live and studio, also addressed in interview.

Given the EMI recordings, perhaps he'd say something similar, provided one has decent producers and engineers. It would be nice to see him do another set of sonata recordings for Onyx.

Another thing, many reports of Paul Lewis' playing describe him as being a more spontaneous player live.

Beethoven is tricky, because it's both introspective and bold, risk-taking, so there is no perfect recording environment really. Maybe Beethoven had the right idea when he played his pieces at a remove from the main salon area where his well-mannered audience sat.

Todd

Quote from: Clever Hans on October 03, 2011, 11:47:18 AMPart of the problem is between live and studio, also addressed in interview.

Perhaps.  It's interesting for me to read his comments because when I heard Kovacevich live he was much different than on record.  He is more intense and virtuosic, and his tone much less appealing, on record than in person.  He was much better live, at least to my ears.  Of course, that was with D960 and some LvB Bagatelles.  The performance I heard was not being recorded, so one would think he would take more chances, but both of his recorded D960s seem more adventurous in some ways than what I heard.  Of course, I have to rely on memory when recalling the recital, whereas I can listen to either recording whenever I choose, so it's not a totally accurate/fair comparison.

I wouldn't mind another LvB cycle from him, though now I have to wonder if he'd be a little less intense as I have to assume age is starting to take a toll on his technique and stamina.

Clever Hans

Quote from: Todd on October 03, 2011, 12:00:46 PM
I wouldn't mind another LvB cycle from him, though now I have to wonder if he'd be a little less intense as I have to assume age is starting to take a toll on his technique and stamina.

Reigning himself in could be a good thing.

He is so kind and encouraging in his mater class videos, unlike... Andras Schiff, for example.

As far as live vs studio, Pollini is another example, particularly as regards tone, which DG never really captured right.

Today you also have the problem that many "live" takes are not really so.

But I think it may be better in the long run for a pianist to either befriend an at home recording engineer (there are so many these days) or just cull from live recordings. And maintain rights to them, the latter also to avoid the Richter situation where you have tons of examples in and out of print.

Josquin des Prez

Early studio Kovacevich was great. Haven't been impressed with anything he has done since, concerning Beethoven.

George

Quote from: Clever Hans on October 03, 2011, 09:41:02 AM

It's no surprise to me that he mentions physical so many times in that quote. His EMI interpretations are exactly that, physical.   
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Orpheus

Any thoughts about this new box?

Todd

Quote from: Orpheus on October 08, 2011, 12:20:58 AM
Any thoughts about this new box?

My only thought right now is: Finally!  Up until now her cycle has been available only on individual discs.  I do think I shall acquire this set, though I must say that I do not have the highest expectations based on the little I've heard of Ms Biret outside this repertoire, as well as the few comments I've read on her LvB.  I will do my best to approach the set with fresh ears, though

Lethevich

Can anybody confirm the release order of the first two of Kodama's Beethoven discs? PentaTone's site doesn't list dates, and Amazon and other sites offer contradictory information. So far at a guess it seems to go:

01 - No.21, 23, 26
02 - No.4, 8, 14
03 - No.16-18
04 - No.1-3
05 - No.9, 10, 19, 20, 24, 25
06 - No.5-7
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 05, 2012, 12:20:23 AM
Can anybody confirm the release order of the first two of Kodama's Beethoven discs? PentaTone's site doesn't list dates, and Amazon and other sites offer contradictory information. So far at a guess it seems to go:

01 - No.21, 23, 26
02 - No.4, 8, 14
03 - No.16-18
04 - No.1-3
05 - No.9, 10, 19, 20, 24, 25
06 - No.5-7
Gramophone reviewed the first one in July 2004 and the second in February 2005 (and they refer to this as the second volume). So you appear to have the correct order. As to anything more concrete, I see what you mean. Perhaps someone has the actual discs to check if more specific dates are required. (Here is the link if you are interested: http://www.gramophone.net/Search/Results/beethoven+kodama)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lethevich

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 05, 2012, 01:06:48 AM
Gramophone reviewed the first one in July 2004 and the second in February 2005 (and they refer to this as the second volume). So you appear to have the correct order. As to anything more concrete, I see what you mean. Perhaps someone has the actual discs to check if more specific dates are required. (Here is the link if you are interested: http://www.gramophone.net/Search/Results/beethoven+kodama)

Thanks! It's strange how the label seems to shy of announcing it as a numbered series - perhaps a marketing strategy (seeing "Vol.6" might make some people sigh at the idea of having to buy at least five more discs, or it will forever be an odd end).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

North Star

Regarding Kodama, people might wait for a possible box set containing all volumes. And there have been lots of sonata releases recently (Buchbinder, Lewis, Takácks, probably more)

Paavali Jumppanen's Beethoven sonata recordings (with Deutsche Grammophon) should probably be released in the near future:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kainuunsanomat.fi%2Fcs%2FSatellite%2FKulttuuri%2F1194646156375%2Fartikkeli%2Fpaavali%2Bjumppanen%2Blevyttaa%2Bkuhmossa.html

The translator is far from perfect but most of the stuff that matters should be understandable. I can clarify if necessary.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

George

What do folks think of Maria Grinberg's Beethoven Sonatas? I know she did a complete set in stereo that is up over at avaxhome.

Karl Henning

Belated thanks for the collective recommendation of the Kempff. I've not been through it methodically, but I very much enjoy whenever I dip into it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: karlhenning on January 05, 2012, 06:05:12 AM
Belated thanks for the collective recommendation of the Kempff. I've not been through it methodically, but I very much enjoy whenever I dip into it.

Glad to hear that you are liking it, karl.  :)

Todd

Quote from: North Star on January 05, 2012, 05:07:48 AMPaavali Jumppanen's Beethoven sonata recordings (with Deutsche Grammophon) should probably be released in the near future:

Now that is a cycle I look forward to!  (The Guy cycle, too, really.)  Thanks for the heads up.

Quote from: George on January 05, 2012, 05:56:25 AMWhat do folks think of Maria Grinberg's Beethoven Sonatas? I know she did a complete set in stereo that is up over at avaxhome.

So-so to Meh.