Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Todd on May 22, 2012, 05:51:19 AM
Can't wait to hear how eternally feminine Beethoven was in his dotage.

;D :D ;D
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Todd on May 22, 2012, 05:51:19 AM
Can't wait to hear how eternally feminine Beethoven was in his dotage.

Yeah, those disc titles are... special.

Leon

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 22, 2012, 01:59:54 AM
1) To hear something different; to hear her idiosyncratic way with Beethoven (whether good or bad is yet to be determined)

Sarge

My feeling too. 

The investment is low enough (as are my expectations) that it is worth hearing what she does with these works.  After sampling how the booklet is presented as a digital object, I am not so put off by the iTunes offering.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on May 22, 2012, 01:45:34 AM
Some subtitles, those are.

Quote from: Brian on May 22, 2012, 06:15:18 AM
Yeah, those disc titles are... special.

One reviewer said Lim plays Beethoven as though it were Liszt. Her titles (and they are hers) seem to point in that interpretive direction.

Sarge

Leon

After living with Lim's Beethoven and doing some comparative listening I find the best word to describe her playing as "fussy".   Ms. Lim's Complete Beethoven Piano sonatas is not among that group of sets I return to often, but I don't regret buying it.

:)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Arnold on May 24, 2012, 02:56:24 AM
After living with Lim's Beethoven and doing some comparative listening I find the best word to describe her playing as "fussy".

I'd describe it as "fast and fussy." I've only listened to two discs but I doubt her style will change. I do find her interpretations interesting; they hold my attention and I often "rewind" to encore a movement. I've listened to her Moonlight a half dozen times. She does sometimes push herself up to and beyond her technical limitations but I like her courage :D  I think most folks, though, will hate her Beethoven. I'd only recommend it to the adventurous.

Sarge

Leon

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 24, 2012, 03:13:35 AM
I'd describe it as "fast and fussy." I've only listened to two discs but I doubt her style will change. I do find her interpretations interesting; they hold my attention and I often "rewind" to encore a movement. I've listened to her Moonlight a half dozen times. She does sometimes push herself up to and beyond her technical limitations but I like her courage :D  I think most folks, though, will hate her Beethoven. I'd only recommend it to the adventurous.

Sarge

She can be commended for tackling the entire set of Beethoven sonatas and coming up with her own interpretative philosophy for the works, both individually and as linked works within a larger group.  However, I do not enjoy the reckless and exaggerated gesturing.  Of the newer recordings of these works I am most impressed by Jonathan Biss.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Arnold on May 24, 2012, 04:49:54 AMHowever, I do not enjoy the reckless and exaggerated gesturing.

I'd be disappointed if she weren't reckless and exaggerated. That's why I bought her cycle  ;D

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 24, 2012, 05:11:37 AM
I'd be disappointed if she weren't reckless and exaggerated. That's why I bought her cycle  ;D

Sarge

I expect few of us have much use for safe-as-milk Beethoven, either!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Leon

Sarge

I suppose so.  But, still, it's not so much the recklessness, by itself - but a sense that she is exaggerating the gesture to the point of becoming a distraction.  At least for me.  A little of that goes a long way.

Quote from: karlhenning on May 24, 2012, 05:24:23 AM
I expect few of us have much use for safe-as-milk Beethoven, either!

For sure.  But I also do not care for Beethoven done as soap opera.

All that said. Lim's Beethoven is worth hearing and YMMV.

:D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Arnold on May 24, 2012, 05:30:35 AM
For sure.  But I also do not care for Beethoven done as soap opera.

Why am I thinking of Tootsie, suddenly? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Last night I discussed Classical music a bit with a woman that I was on a first date with. It was an awesome, long date and halfway through she revealed to me that she plays the piano! She mentioned that she played the Pathetique Sonata in High School! (Those of you who know me know that I adore Beethoven and I love the piano even more.) Someone pinch me . . .
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on May 24, 2012, 05:24:23 AMI expect few of us have much use for safe-as-milk Beethoven, either!

Agreed, but that doesn't mean people want first attempt home brew, either.  Still waiting for my copy of the Lim set.  I'm most interested in the Op 31 and late sonatas, of course . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on May 24, 2012, 05:42:36 AM
Last night I discussed Classical music a bit with a woman that I was on a first date with. It was an awesome, long date and halfway through she revealed to me that she plays the piano! She mentioned that she played the Pathetique Sonata in High School! (Those of you who know me know that I adore Beethoven and I love the piano even more.) Someone pinch me . . .

That does sound like a dream, George. Too good to be true, but damn, dude, congratulations! I hope it goes beyond the first date.

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 24, 2012, 05:57:21 AM
That does sound like a dream, George. Too good to be true, but damn, dude, congratulations! I hope it goes beyond the first date.

Sarge

Oh, yes. We've already made plans for tomorrow night and have discussed hanging out over the long weekend as well. She seems like the real thing. I am so psyched, because i have been dating over a year and have lost hope so many times, I am surprised I am still willing to go out. The real crazy thing is that she was over a half hour late and I left, called a friend and then something (I have no idea what) made me turn around and go back. But I am sure glad I did. We talked for over 9 hours! She's a sweetheart.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

kishnevi

Sarge

Sudden vision of Beethoven on a motorcycle--Harley, of course--leather jacket and rather abused jeans,  and of course no helmet,  roaring up and offering a ride: "Hey babe!  Strap those engines on, we were born to run!"   With all that noise from his motorcycle, it's no wonder he went deaf.

Brian

Quote from: George on May 24, 2012, 07:25:32 AM
Oh, yes. We've already made plans for tomorrow night and have discussed hanging out over the long weekend as well. She seems like the real thing. I am so psyched, because i have been dating over a year and have lost hope so many times, I am surprised I am still willing to go out. The real crazy thing is that she was over a half hour late and I left, called a friend and then something (I have no idea what) made me turn around and go back. But I am sure glad I did. We talked for over 9 hours! She's a sweetheart.

That's fantastic! And I know you; Beethoven's pretty essential. Chopin too ;)

Quote from: Arnold on May 24, 2012, 04:49:54 AMOf the newer recordings of these works I am most impressed by Jonathan Biss.

FF Guy? Paul Lewis? Brautigam? Oppitz? Sheppard? Lucchesini? Not saying I know all those myself, I'm just curious who you're comparing Biss to.

Leon

Quote from: Brian on May 24, 2012, 08:37:53 AM
FF Guy? Paul Lewis? Brautigam? Oppitz? Sheppard? Lucchesini? Not saying I know all those myself, I'm just curious who you're comparing Biss to.

I haven't heard Lewis, and want to, but I have heard Stewart Goodyear, FF Guy, Oppitz and Brautigam, and have been impressed by all of them - there is no dearth of nice new recordings of Beethoven sonatas!  However, the one that remains strongest in my memory is Biss.  I am hoping he completes the cycle without undue delay. 

I think his playing displays strength, clarity and restraint, but he is not lacking in lyricism.  These qualities are what I look for most in these works, not more drama since the works themselves convey that without much need on the part of the performer to enhance that quality.  In fact, I am most impressed when a performer uses restraint to check an over abundance of drama, which can become trite in the wrong hands.

Leon

Re: Jonathan Biss recording schedule of the Beethoven sonatas

In May, I went into the studio to record four Beethoven sonatas, which constitute the first volume of what by the end of the decade, God and my sanity willing, will be a complete cycle of the 32 sonatas. This page will be devoted to the experience of living with this music/climbing this Everest.

From his blog about this project.

He appears to be taking the long view, nine volumes scheduled for one per year.  While this will not make anyone happy who eagerly awaits each disc, it does impress me from the standpoint of a artist taking a serious approach to recording these works.