Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: jlaurson on July 27, 2012, 07:13:16 AM

That's a great, well written opening paragraph!
Reminds me of a review of a Julio Iglesias concert; "no seat was dry".

Brian

Yes, I know the joint... which is one of the reasons I'm frustrated with it. And I don't think it's necessarily British, because the old editor at Seen & Heard was cut from a different cloth, altogether... not fuddy-duddy-anything-goes, but with a strict desire for quality. (Though it's a tough fight when you haven't got money to reward good 'behavior', as it were.)

That's a great, well written opening paragraph!

Thanks!

I associate their style with Britishness because I also encountered it with my professors over there, and with people describing restaurants, and so on. The most damning insult available to one of my classmates was "it's a bit crap, isn't it?" But don't know the S&H side of things. And hey, I'd write reviews for dollars if it were possible, but there aren't too many people who get to do such a pleasant job... still prefer writing for amateurs to not writing at all.

Ataraxia

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2012, 11:46:56 AM
Thanks!

I associate their style with Britishness because I also encountered it with my professors over there, and with people describing restaurants, and so on. The most damning insult available to one of my classmates was "it's a bit crap, isn't it?" But don't know the S&H side of things. And hey, I'd write reviews for dollars if it were possible, but there aren't too many people who get to do such a pleasant job... still prefer writing for amateurs to not writing at all.

Do a review blog and monetize it. You're welcome.

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on July 27, 2012, 11:50:35 AM
Do a review blog and monetize it. You're welcome.
Watch it or I'll charge you to read my GMG posts!

Ataraxia

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2012, 11:58:22 AM

I'm already paying to read them.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2012, 11:58:22 AM

Wait — Dave hasn't been voluntarily paying you per post?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ataraxia

These Gold Subscribers throwing their weight around. Hmph!

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on July 27, 2012, 11:59:54 AM
I'm already paying to read them.
Touché, and I to read yours. :)

Ataraxia

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2012, 12:01:20 PM
Touché, and I to read yours. :)

Oh, yeah...sorry about that.

Sammy

Yes, I know the joint... which is one of the reasons I'm frustrated with it. And I don't think it's necessarily British, because the old editor at Seen & Heard was cut from a different cloth, altogether... not fuddy-duddy-anything-goes, but with a strict desire for quality. (Though it's a tough fight when you haven't got money to reward good 'behavior', as it were.)

Perhaps, but they do get paid in plastic.

jlaurson

Quote from: Sammy on July 27, 2012, 03:08:07 PM
Perhaps, but they do get paid in plastic.

That attitude is precisely the problem. It's not payment, it's the precondition of the job. It's like a restaurant reviewer just being glad to get some food. Ought not be that way.

kishnevi

Well, I didn't expect to get my laugh of the day from a link off of this thread!   Brian, that was a great review, as much for what it didn't say as what it did.

I do think Hurwitz was wrong about the Kalliwoda recording he mentions, btw.

Thread duty--listened today to CDs 2 and 3 of Guy's first volume (and CD 1 last night).  Everything seemed well done; only flaw being some minor audience noise in one sonata.

xochitl

just finished going through the last few spots id missed from the paul lewis cycle [sonatas #11-14 and 26-28]

the early ones really bored me, even the moonlight.  26 was really good and the last movement really took off

but 27-28 i thought reached sublime peaks i havent heard in a long time. as good as his hammerklavier

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 27, 2012, 05:22:05 PM
Well, I didn't expect to get my laugh of the day from a link off of this thread!   Brian, that was a great review, as much for what it didn't say as what it did.
Thanks! Though at the time I feared I was saying too much.

Lilas Pastia

I've compared Brautigam and Heidsieck in the second sonata. First of all, it should be noted that this is a wonderful work, with a spellbinding slow movement. It is in this particular movement that the difference is most remarkable. Both artists make their point by virtue of a clearly discernible musical plan. Heidsieck is much more pensive and hesitant in the Largo appassionato, making it sound like a mysterious quest. Overall they are both entirely valid and totally satisfying. But Heidsieck plumbs much greater depths.

I have few comparisons on hand (Ashkenazy and Roberts), and I don't think these two would make me change my mind. I'm curious to hear what Arrau and Brendel come up with in this sonata.

Mandryka

Quote from: André on July 30, 2012, 03:56:51 PM
I've compared Brautigam and Heidsieck in the second sonata. First of all, it should be noted that this is a wonderful work, with a spellbinding slow movement. It is in this particular movement that the difference is most remarkable. Both artists make their point by virtue of a clearly discernible musical plan. Heidsieck is much more pensive and hesitant in the Largo appassionato, making it sound like a mysterious quest. Overall they are both entirely valid and totally satisfying. But Heidsieck plumbs much greater depths.

I have few comparisons on hand (Ashkenazy and Roberts), and I don't think these two would make me change my mind. I'm curious to hear what Arrau and Brendel come up with in this sonata.

I like what Brautigam does with the largo there. It makes me think of a moody, angry, upset teenager. Beethoven was about 26 when he wrote that music. 

Arrau's is at the complete opposite extreme. If you think Heidsieck is deep then wait till you hear what Arrau does!

If your exploring this one, others that stick in my mind for being interesting are Schnabel, and one very good one from Horszowki on Arbiter. And Kempff mono.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Holden

I love the way that Hans Richter-Haaser plays this work. Listening to the Brautigam Largo now and will seek out the Arrau but not sure which version.
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

I meant the Philips Analogue one. I have that Richter Hasser CD but I've never played it. Will do so this evening. You know French EMI recently released a selection of his records in a bargain box?

And I forgot the one which is maybe the best of the lot -- Maria Grinberg.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sammy

Quote from: jlaurson on July 27, 2012, 03:19:34 PM
That attitude is precisely the problem. It's not payment, it's the precondition of the job. It's like a restaurant reviewer just being glad to get some food. Ought not be that way.

What way should it be?

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 30, 2012, 11:31:11 PM
I like what Brautigam does with the largo there. It makes me think of a moody, angry, upset teenager. Beethoven was about 26 when he wrote that music. 

Maybe not quite besides the point, as the title of the movement is Largo appassionato.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν