Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Listened to Igor Levit's first foray into Beethoven, and I found it rewarding.  Attractive sound, solid technique, and intelligent interpretations that are very much a young man's take on Beethoven.  Op 101 and especially Op 106 fare comparatively better than the last three sonatas.  In all five cases there are at least a dozen recordings I could cite that I find better, but he's young and shows much promise – much more than HJ Lim, for instance.  I look forward to hearing more from him, especially if it means a new LvB cycle will result.  I have a sneaking suspicion that he would be awesome in Rachmaninoff, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Fred on July 22, 2013, 11:28:31 PM
I notice that IGOR LEVIT is about to put out a 2CD late Beethoven Sonatas on Sony.  Available in a few weeks.

It's on Spotify now.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

A new cycle I'm anxious to hear starts rolling out in the new year.  From Paavali Jumppanen's management firm:

In recent years, Mr. Jumppanen has dedicated much of his time into exploring music of the Viennese Classical Period. He has often performed the complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas cycle and, following one of his Beethoven recitals, the Boston Globe reported how "the sheer, overflowing energy of his musicianship held one's attention throughout this impressive performance and the result was a bracing and enjoyable reminder of how path-breaking Beethoven's music was." Mr. Jumppanen has recently completed a multi-year project of recording the Sonatas cycle. The first part of the recording will be released in March 2014 (Ondine).

Brian

Huh. I'm listening to short sample clips from the new Jonathan Biss volume, containing 15, 16, and 21, and it seems to be very speedy indeed, especially the Pastorale.

Purusha

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the set by Peter Rosel? I have his Brahms, which i found to be very impressive, and considering his style i would think his Beethoven would have to be as equally impressive (or so i hope). Alas, it seems the entire set is out of print. I can't even find decent samples. Anybody knows if this is worth pursuing, perhaps keeping an eye for a reissue?

Todd

Rosel's set is on King Records International, which is Japanese.  HMV Japan lists all of the LvB, plus quite a few other things recorded by Rosel as available.

Purusha

No samples, but its good to know the set is available somewhere. Here's what his Brahms sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8eotstXIWA

It is almost perfect on a technical level, and i also like out he brings out all the little vertical details. Alas, it lacks a bit in Romanticism, but this is why i want to hear his Beethoven (early and middle Beethoven in particular) since this approach is probably better suited for a classical composer. To wit, his Mozart sounds very good as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdsMzyL728

Brian

Quote from: sanantonio on January 13, 2014, 07:45:14 AM
Where did you find samples? 

While looking for Biss's next edition (found it; available Jan. 14th) I also noticed that Angela Hewitt has recorded four volumes of Beethoven sonatas.  News to me.  No samples, though.  Anyone heard 'em?
There are 60-second samples of the Biss at Presto and samples of all Hewitt's volumes (and indeed any Hyperion CD!) at Hyperion's website, for example this album.

Mandryka

Has anyone explored Robert Taub's Beethoven?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: sanantonio on January 13, 2014, 07:45:14 AMAnyone heard 'em?

Yes.  Volume 4 is in my to-hear pile.

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2014, 08:24:41 AMHas anyone explored Robert Taub's Beethoven?

I've got one volume.  Technically secure, quick, energetic, but superficial.

Brian

Naxos Music Library just added 7 volumes of a cycle by Ian Hobson. Anybody know anything about that one?

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2014, 06:16:31 AMNaxos Music Library just added 7 volumes of a cycle by Ian Hobson. Anybody know anything about that one?

Yes.

springrite

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2014, 06:16:31 AM
Naxos Music Library just added 7 volumes of a cycle by Ian Hobson. Anybody know anything about that one?

Boring.

Listening through some Korstick (bought the set last year). Don't know what to say. Like parts of it but he sounds all too deliberate.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Todd

Gerard Willems' cycle, the only one on a Stuart and Sons piano, is being reissued in a big box, coupled with the concertos and Diabellis.  I have the sonatas, and they are enjoyable enough, capped off by a world class Op 26 (possibly my favorite version of the work).  If I go for the Diabellis, I think I may personally go the single disc route.  (I can probably live without the concertos.)  One thing is for certain, no other pianos sound quite like Stuart and Sons.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Todd on January 18, 2014, 07:33:30 AM

Gerard Willems' cycle, the only one on a Stuart and Sons piano, is being reissued in a big box, coupled with the concertos and Diabellis.  I have the sonatas, and they are enjoyable enough, capped off by a world class Op 26 (possibly my favorite version of the work).  If I go for the Diabellis, I think I may personally go the single disc route.  (I can probably live without the concertos.)  One thing is for certain, no other pianos sound quite like Stuart and Sons.
Why does it say 36 sonatas on the cover?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Todd

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 18, 2014, 08:07:10 AMWhy does it say 36 sonatas on the cover?

I would guess the WoO 47 & 51 sonatas are included.  I don't have those from Willems.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Todd on January 18, 2014, 08:18:15 AM

I would guess the WoO 47 & 51 sonatas are included.  I don't have those from Willems.

Yes, they are included.

But the idea of playing these intimate early sonatas, which maybe even were intended to be played on the clavichord, on a Stuart & Sons piano, strikes me as being absurd.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on January 10, 2014, 07:28:59 PM
Huh. I'm listening to short sample clips from the new Jonathan Biss volume, containing 15, 16, and 21, and it seems to be very speedy indeed, especially the Pastorale.

Speedy but good! I was not very impressed with his previous installments, but this one seems to fare much better.

Fred

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2014, 08:24:41 AM
Has anyone explored Robert Taub's Beethoven?

Lousy sound, close up clangy piano that stopped me listening. Very sad for the pianist because I thought he was pretty good.