Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Todd on January 18, 2014, 07:33:30 AM
One thing is for certain, no other pianos sound quite like Stuart and Sons.
Quote from: (: premont :) on January 18, 2014, 11:16:33 PM

But the idea of playing these intimate early sonatas, which maybe even were intended to be played on the clavichord, on a Stuart & Sons piano, strikes me as being absurd.

Having never (to my knowledge) heard anything played on a Stuart & Sons piano, what is so special about that make?

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 19, 2014, 05:10:31 PMHaving never (to my knowledge) heard anything played on a Stuart & Sons piano, what is so special about that make?

Different is probably a better word than special.  Stuart and Sons pianos come in 97 and 102 key versions.  (Willems used a 97 key version.)  They have four pedals standard.  They play deeper than any other piano; they sound clearer than Steinways or Bechsteins or Bosendorfers, but not necessarily Faziolis; they have a broader tonal range, aided by the extra pedal; and they can sound "bigger" than other pianos.  It is in many ways ideal for Op 106.  I'd love to hear what someone like FFG or Stewart Goodyear could do with one.  I'd also very much love to hear Debussy and, especially, Messiaen played on one.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

Quote from: Todd on January 19, 2014, 05:57:29 PM

Different is probably a better word than special.  Stuart and Sons pianos come in 97 and 102 key versions.  (Willems used a 97 key version.)  They have four pedals standard.  They play deeper than any other piano; they sound clearer than Steinways or Bechsteins or Bosendorfers, but not necessarily Faziolis; they have a broader tonal range, aided by the extra pedal; and they can sound "bigger" than other pianos.  It is in many ways ideal for Op 106.  I'd love to hear what someone like FFG or Stewart Goodyear could do with one.  I'd also very much love to hear Debussy and, especially, Messiaen played on one.

Thanks for the explanation.  Now you have me curious about the Willems.

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 19, 2014, 06:05:53 PMThanks for the explanation.  Now you have me curious about the Willems.

Willems is enjoyable, and I would describe his cycle as largely conventional in approach, but on a radical instrument.

Brian

I tried Willems' Op. 26 on Naxos Music Library, and enjoyed it completely, but my laptop speakers are extremely poor so I don't feel qualified to make any further comment on it. Will try with headphones at some point.

...I need a real CD player.

Todd

Another complete cycle from Japan: Yaeko Yamane.  May be time to make an inaugural purchase from Amazon Japan.

Todd

[asin]B00GK8OZZC[/asin]

The Frenchest Beethoven cycle yet continues.  Bavouzet's playing is generally crisp 'n' clean, with nice articulation and satisfying but never Wow! dynamics.  Tempi are generally on the ever so slightly swift but completely sane side.  Op 22 is superb, with the classicism played up.  This definitely remains something of a French pianist specialty.  Op 27/1 is perhaps a touch too straight and 27/2 lacks the long sustain in the opening movement, but both are quite fine.  Op 28 is less lyrical than I expected, but much better for it.  There's some bite, and the sound for this one most closely resembles what I heard tonally from Bavouzet in person.  31/1 is absolutely delightful start to finish and 31/3 is mostly exuberant and playful, with Op 31/2 somewhat restrained and classical in approach, making for an excellent Op 31.  Op 49 are played like bon-bons.  My only issue seems to be with Op 53.  He brings some of the same things I heard in recital last fall, including what sounds like a not entirely secure opening movement, with occasionally too-growly bass and undue left hand emphasis.  It's not bad at all, but it's not top flight.  The Andante Favori, perhaps just a little too sweet, is a gem, though.  Sound is excellent.  After two-thirds of the cycle, I can say it doesn't seem that Bavouzet matches up to FFG, let alone Eric Heidsieck, among Frenchies, but I rather hope the final volume is released sooner rather than later.

jlaurson

Quote from: Todd on January 23, 2014, 08:25:13 PM

Another complete cycle from Japan: Yaeko Yamane.  May be time to make an inaugural purchase from Amazon Japan.

Good find! If / when you know more, will you let me know details about it... specifically recording dates (earliest to last)?? Thanks much!

jfl

Todd

[asin]B00FQQ5XWI[/asin]

The third volume of Jonathan Biss' cycle is out.  I think I waited long enough to give it a listen.  Op 28 sounds predictably good, and reminds me of my memory of what his earlier recording sounded like.  (I didn't A/B them.)  Generally, it's swift, lyrical, clear, articulate, hefty a few times where it should be, and generally just swell to listen to.  Op 31/1 is great good fun.  It has a fast, clear, fun opener, with Biss playing some passages as a garish gallop.  The second movement is taken at a nice clip, but never sounds rushed.  The closing movement starts somewhat somberly, but quickly changes into good clean fun.  The disc ends with the Waldstein.  The opening is youthful and exhuberant.  It's fast, clear, superbly controlled, if perhaps a bit showy here and there.  The second movement is pretty much conventional, and Biss keeps the final movement suprisingly gentle and beautiful during the quieter passages so as to offer greater conrast with the more potent, boisterous parts.  The playing lacks the depth of the best interpretations, but overall, it's quite a good recording.  Overall, the best disc of the cycle so far.

Superb sound.

Todd

[asin]B00CL1C2ZC[/asin]

I've been waiting to hear Christian Leotta's final volume for a while, so when it became available, I snapped it up.  Unfortunately, there appears to have been some type of problem with the pressing.  I've had to get two different sets, and both display trademarks of data/pressing errors.  On my main CD player (a older Naim), the disc "skips", and on my home theater player (a brand new Oppo), there is crackling reminiscent of bad LP surface noise.  What a bummer.  I've sent an email to Atma, a company whose discs thus far have been fine, to see what, if anything they can do.  If you were planning to buy it, it may pay to wait.

Oldnslow

Todd--I recently ordered the first two CDs of  what will be a complete Beethoven sonata set by an English pianist named James Brawn (MSR). He plays a couple from Opus 2 (1,3) and the Appassionata, Pathetique, Moonlight, and Waldstein. There have been some favorable reviews of these discs. Have you heard of this pianist or heard these CDs? I also agree the third Biss volume is very fine.   

Todd

Quote from: Oldnslow on January 31, 2014, 07:08:49 PMI recently ordered the first two CDs of  what will be a complete Beethoven sonata set by an English pianist named James Brawn...[h]ave you heard of this pianist or heard these CDs? I also agree the third Biss volume is very fine.

I've seen the discs in my searches, but I've not bought any nor read any reviews.  That he's early in the cycle now implies that he's aiming for a complete cycle by 2020.  I don't know if I'll buy before then or not.

Oldnslow

Brawn's cycle is supposedly to be completed by 2015.  Fanfare raved about his playing, for whatever that is worth

Brian

MusicWeb sent me James Brawn Vol. 2 just this week! It has 8, 14, 19-21. My first pass was on a low volume level while reading, so not exactly undivided attention, but the Waldstein seemed paced the way I like it (bit slower, more expansive in the last two movements) while the other sonatas seemed perfectly "normal". Very courtly minuet in the Moonlight sonata - almost like Karl Bohm was conducting him. I'll listen more carefully soon.

Cato

Concerning James Brawn, (not to be confused with the Godfather of Soul    0:)  ) :

Quote"A tremendous display of pianistic virtuosity with a powerful interpretation." Evening Telegraph (UK).

Born into a musical and medical family, pianist James Brawn started piano lessons at the age of seven in New Zealand. He made exceptional progress over the next ten years, studying with pupils of Solomon, Arrau and Serkin in Australia. From 1988-1992, James completed his undergraduate and postgraduate training at the Royal Academy of Music in London, winning many awards including the Beethoven, Romantic and 20th century prizes.

James was a concerto finalist in the ABC Young Performer of the Year, playing with the Adelaide and Melbourne symphony orchestras and, at the age of nineteen, won the keyboard final of the Royal Over-Seas League competition in London. He has performed for music societies and festivals throughout the UK, Italy, Australia and China and given concerts at the Purcell Room, Queen Elizabeth Hall, St.James Piccadilly and St.Martin-in-the-Fields in London. He has broadcast on ABC Classic FM and 3MBS radio in Australia.

Now residing with his family in the beautiful English Cotswolds, James has recorded his debut CD at Potton Hall on the Suffolk coast. 'My Beethoven Odyssey - Appassionata' is the first album in James' project to perform and record the complete Beethoven piano sonatas.  During the 2011/12 season, James gives solo recitals in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Cheltenham, Chichester, Paris, Sicily, Hong Kong, Brunei and New Orleans.

For more, see:

http://jamesbrawn.com/biography/
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

The new erato

Quote from: Todd on January 31, 2014, 03:48:14 PM
on my home theater player (a brand new Oppo), there is crackling reminiscent of bad LP surface noise.  What a bummer. 

I've experienced the same with the last disc (from several sets) of the Melodiya box of the latest remastering of the Borodin Shostakovich quartets. I've never managed to get a correct set. The only time I've experienced this on my thousands of discs.

Cato

Before noticing that the discussion here had been revived quite nicely in the past week, I had already returned to this collection:

[asin]B000E0LB7C[/asin]

I became hooked on Backhaus 50 years ago now (   ??? ??? ??? ) via a record with the last 2 or 3 sonatas.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

The first installment in Paavali Jumppanen's cycle is finally (almost) here.  Slated for a late February release in Germany.

aquablob

Quote from: Cato on February 01, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
Concerning James Brawn, (not to be confused with the Godfather of Soul    0:)  ) :

Now wouldn't that be something...

The new erato

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 02, 2014, 10:33:23 AM
Now wouldn't that be something...
James Brawn, in that case, would have to be the Godfather of Saul.

Now that is one scary thought!