Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Andromeda is releasing a near complete set of sonatas by Walter Gieseking (no Op 54 recording was made/survives), but that would require them to mix and match EMI and broadcast recordings (previously on Tahra).  I might bite, if the mix is right.

Eric Le Sage also has an LvB disc coming out.  I wasn't wowed by his Schumann, but maybe.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Quote from: Todd on August 29, 2014, 03:20:14 PM

Andromeda is releasing a near complete set of sonatas by Walter Gieseking (no Op 54 recording was made/survives), but that would require them to mix and match EMI and broadcast recordings (previously on Tahra).  I might bite, if the mix is right.

Dare I point out, they are clearly misusing the word "All" here.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

amw

Quote from: orfeo on August 29, 2014, 04:05:52 PM

I know! Where is WoO 47? And the Andante favori?! >:(

kishnevi

Not at all.
All the music is by Beethoven.  No sonatas by Mozart, Chopin, Scriabin, etc.    >:D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: orfeo on August 29, 2014, 04:05:52 PMDare I point out, they are clearly misusing the word "All" here.

Yes, Andromeda is misusing the word "all".  Since Mr Gieseking has been dead for decades, I won't hold it against him.

Ken B

"Plays only piano sonatas by Beethoven" doesn't have that marketing oomph.

Mandryka

There's some completely wild Beethoven by Anny Fischer just on symphonyshare, a concert in Hungary from 1954 with, amongst other things, op 2/3 and op 10/2. Well worth hearing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Fred

HEIDSIECK BARGAINS

Was just over at HMV Japan and bought 8 Heidsieck King Records releases (including three or four beethoven taped in japan) for 1000 yen each.  Release dated is 8 October!!!
Have just been listening to his mozart sonatas. Luminous.

André

Heidsieck's complete LvB sonatas is on a cheap 50 disc EMI box. Priceless.

Fred

Heidsieck is so good it's easy to miss how good he is.

Todd

[asin]B00MUUPELI[/asin]

Timothy Ehlen's next volume it out later this month.  Looks like he jumped on the daft theme band wagon.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Todd on September 08, 2014, 07:39:00 PM

Timothy Ehlen's next volume it out later this month.  Looks like he jumped on the daft theme band wagon.

Heaven Sent Taboos? Surely that won't appear on the sleeve...it would be hard to think of a more randomly pointless thing to say. 
It's all good...

Fred

Quote from: Todd on August 12, 2014, 12:13:12 PM
Sony is issuing a volume-by-volume sonata cycle by Yu Kosuge.  Three twofers with twenty sonatas are currently out, and they appear to be coming out each year, so a 2016 end date seems probable, with a box probably to follow, most likely in time for 2020.  The sets are themed!  Anyway, the cycle appears meant for the Japanese market, but Amazon US also lists them, along with some other core rep.

Just bought the first twofer and played my big litmus test (last movement of op31.3).  Despite the presto marking, she takes an incredibly leisurely 5.24.  Now I'm depressed. I don't think I can go on.

Fred

Just bought the first twofer and played my big litmus test (last movement of op31.3).  Despite the presto marking, she takes an incredibly leisurely 5.24.  Now I'm depressed. I don't think I can go on.

Todd

HMV Japan lists Pollini playing Opp 31 and 49, slated for release in November, on the same day that the complete cycle comes out.  Only problem is that it is an SHM-CD and costs a little less than half what the box does.  Perhaps a regular CD will be made available.  I also wonder if the inclusion of 31/2 may be an error, since he already recorded it, or if this means he rerecorded it.

Wanderer

Quote from: Todd on September 15, 2014, 07:06:49 PM
I also wonder if the inclusion of 31/2 may be an error, since he already recorded it, or if this means he rerecorded it.

Or maybe they just used the old recording.

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on September 15, 2014, 11:47:46 PM
Or maybe they just used the old recording.

BIS is getting really lazy about this. They "finished" their Shosty symphony cycle with a new recording coupled to an old one; they just did a Vanska/Lahti Sibelius album that had been half-released already; and next month they are reissuing the Singapore SO's (surprisingly interesting) Debussy La mer with new couplings.

Todd

Quote from: Wanderer on September 15, 2014, 11:47:46 PMOr maybe they just used the old recording.

Maybe, but that would be out of character for the Pollini releases.

Brian

Reissued for the needy!

The Hungaroton cycle is back, this November.