The Greatest

Started by LKB, June 02, 2022, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

At some point in time, whether it be as a performer, listener or composer, all lovers of what is commonly referred to as " classical " music experience a culmination, an experience of such intensity, perfection and awe that subsequent musical experiences are inescapably measured against it.

What was yours?

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

I've never experienced that myself.

Mandryka

For me it was a performance of Porgy and Bess, outside on Hampstead Heath in London. Beautiful summer's day, great picnic with great champagne, good friends. I remember lying on my back watching the clouds, slightly squiffy, as the music was playing and thinking to myself that I really don't want to do anything with my life other than this.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

The Boulez / Chéreau Ring in Bayreuth in 1979. My teenage me knew --from the curtain rising to reveal the hydroelectric dam in Scene 1 of Das Rheingold, to the final curtain after Brünnhilde's immolation in Act III of Götterdämmerung three evenings later,-- that I was having the privilege of experiencing something that would become the stuff of legends.

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on June 03, 2022, 04:30:30 AM
I've never experienced that myself.

All that means is that it hasn't happened yet, so you have something to look forward to.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...