The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Inside the Museum der bildenden Künste Leipzig, shot with an Olympus E-300 (left click to enlarge):

A spectacular view from a picture window. Love the contrast between the old town architecture and the stark modernity of the museum.

The entrance to the room housing Boecklin's Isle of the Dead

The snack bar.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 29, 2014, 06:48:15 AM
Inside the Museum der bildenden Künste Leipzig, shot with an Olympus E-300 (left click to enlarge):

The entrance to the room housing Boecklin's Isle of the Dead

Sarge

I love this shot, great job, Sarge.

North Star

Definitely one the museum could use in advertising.

My photographs on Flickr

torut

Quote from: Bogey on March 28, 2014, 05:35:46 PM
Always enjoyed Michael Wolf's work:

Is it Kowloon City? I didn't know that it once looked such pretty. It was an amazing place.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 29, 2014, 07:33:48 AM
I love this shot, great job, Sarge.

It took a bit of patience; there was usually someone standing in front of the Boecklin  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Some dried roses (there will be one or two more of these)

My photographs on Flickr

escher

recently I've discovered Vivian Maier. Really an impressive work, and her story is interesting too.

North Star

Quote from: escher on March 29, 2014, 08:54:35 AM
recently I've discovered Vivian Maier. Really an impressive work, and her story is interesting too.
Vivian Maier is brilliant! See her photographs here: http://www.vivianmaier.com/

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: North Star on March 29, 2014, 08:39:17 AM
Some dried roses (there will be one or two more of these)

As we like self-quoting here ;)
What I particularly like here is the blue shadow

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: escher on March 29, 2014, 08:54:35 AM

A name I just recently came to know as well, some of the best candid B&W street photography I've seen.

Szykneij

A few years ago, I started the project of trying to photograph every type of visitor that entered my backyard. During the summer, I'm never out in the garden without my camera. Here are a few of my warm weather guests.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

North Star

Quote from: Szykneij on March 29, 2014, 03:36:45 PM
A few years ago, I started the project of trying to photograph every type of visitor that entered my backyard. During the summer, I'm never out in the garden without my camera. Here are a few of my warm weather guests.

Lovely!

My photographs on Flickr

Szykneij

Quote from: North Star on March 29, 2014, 04:41:42 PM
Lovely!

Thanks! Of all the butterflies, I've found Tiger Swallowtails the most difficult to photgraph because they tend to stay up high in the trees most of the time and don't stay put long when they do come down near the ground. I was lucky to catch this one on a purple butterfly bush bloom that contrasted nicely against the swallowtail's vivid yellow.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 29, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
A name I just recently came to know as well, some of the best candid B&W street photography I've seen.

I couldn't agree more.  Fantastic work.  They've recently just made a film about her, which looks (surprisingly, as the topic is a reclusive, rather-antisocial nanny) very interesting.

By the way, big fans of street photography might like this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=796329
It's at a site called Photography on the Net--a dedicated Canon users site.  The good stuff is really good.  (It was started around 2009. I don't know much about the first couple of years, actually, but group of people, especially Nmahooch, starting posting a couple of years ago, and lots of "wow!" moments.)
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 29, 2014, 05:09:47 PM
  I couldn't agree more.  Fantastic work.  They've recently just made a film about her, which looks (surprisingly, as the topic is a reclusive, rather-antisocial nanny) very interesting.

By the way, big fans of street photography might like this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=796329
It's at a site called Photography on the Net--a dedicated Canon users site.  The good stuff is really good.  (It was started around 2009. I don't know much about the first couple of years, actually, but group of people, especially Nmahooch, starting posting a couple of years ago, and lots of "wow!" moments.)
Looks like they've actually made two - The Vivian Maier Mystery & Finding Vivian Maier.

That thread is certainly a monster! Do you have any particular favourites (photos/pages/page ranges)? I don't think I really want to browse all 300 pages.

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on March 29, 2014, 05:37:14 PM
Looks like they've actually made two - The Vivian Maier Mystery & Finding Vivian Maier.

That thread is certainly a monster! Do you have any particular favourites (photos/pages/page ranges)? I don't think I really want to browse all 300 pages.

I certainly wouldn't do it all in one go! I'd recommend go back about 100 pages from the end. Perhaps if any wow you (and I am pretty confident two or three of the main posters will) it would probably be most efficient to check out their own sites (flickr stream or whatever).
It's all good...