The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 12, 2016, 07:53:01 AM
I like the sense of diminishing on the right in contrast to the solidity of the tree occupying the foreground.

An aside: my best buddy is building a computer for me and so I look forward to being able to view photographs properly once more.
Cheers.
I'm sure that will be nice. :)

Just this one more of these for now:

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on October 11, 2016, 05:01:54 AM
Nearly 3 weeks of inactivity? Time for a bump.

Yesterday evening:

Beautiful. I really like that. I have a few "weeds in water" shots...I'll try to find them.

Karlo, I was searching for an old post from a few years ago and noticed many of your images no longer show up. Did you delete them or change Flickr accounts? A pity they are gone now.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2016, 03:43:17 AM
Beautiful. I really like that. I have a few "weeds in water" shots...I'll try to find them.

Karlo, I was searching for an old post from a few years ago and noticed many of your images no longer show up. Did you delete them or change Flickr accounts? A pity they are gone now.

Sarge
Thanks

Yes, I've cleared up a fair bit of my flickr photos (usually I just set them private instead of deleting them from Flickr - looks like around half of them are set private now  ::)). A few of those links reporting a missing file are also because I've replaced to photo, in which case the link will work. If you have a specific one you want to see again, that can probably be arranged.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

The leaves are just about beginning to fall here and there's a nice tree lined pedestrian zone alongside the cathedral. Problem is, the last time I shot a model down there I was approached by some loon who took the huff because he believed I was taking his photo without his written permission. He threatened to call the cops on me. I told him that with his face it's more far more likely that I would call SETI.
But it would be nice to flatten the crap out of that location with a long as hell lens and an interesting set of facial features.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on October 14, 2016, 04:06:43 AM
Thanks

Yes, I've cleared up a fair bit of my flickr photos (usually I just set them private instead of deleting them from Flickr - looks like around half of them are set private now  ::)). A few of those links reporting a missing file are also because I've replaced to photo, in which case the link will work. If you have a specific one you want to see again, that can probably be arranged.

I found it. Your "Mönch am Meer" ...but you actually only posted a link to the image, not the image itself here. That's why I couldn't find it at first. Anyway, good to see it again (I'd been looking at Caspar David Friedrich paintings and remembered your photo).

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 04:36:36 AM
The leaves are just about beginning to fall here and there's a nice tree lined pedestrian zone alongside the cathedral...it would be nice to flatten the crap out of that location with a long as hell lens and an interesting set of facial features.

Fall is a great time to shoot outdoors. Hope you succeed.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Speaking of autumn images: here's one of Mrs. Rock...plus a crop I played with in Photoshop.

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2016, 07:17:36 AM
I found it. Your "Mönch am Meer" ...but you actually only posted a link to the image, not the image itself here. That's why I couldn't find it at first. Anyway, good to see it again (I'd been looking at Caspar David Friedrich paintings and remembered your photo).

Sarge

Yeah, it's still there.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2016, 07:21:06 AM
Speaking of autumn images: here's one of Mrs. Rock...plus a crop I played with in Photoshop.

Sarge
A beauty indeed. Has that Pre-Raphaelite thing going. 8)

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2016, 07:21:06 AM

Sarge

Very nice. And I like the light.
I'd have been tempted to go more cinematic with the crop, although that would heavily weight the composition. But that's just my preference a lot of the time.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 14, 2016, 07:33:56 AM

I don't know if I've seen this before but I'm glad I've seen it now. And I hope you know that it is fine work.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 07:55:29 AM
I don't know if I've seen this before but I'm glad I've seen it now. And I hope you know that it is fine work.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with how that sky looks, but I do think it's a fine image from the fifteen-year-old me.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 14, 2016, 08:01:19 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with how that sky looks, but I do think it's a fine image from the fifteen-year-old me.

What don't you like about the sky? If there was one aspect of the image as a whole I'd consider changing it would be to remove the tiniest part of the sky. But as it is it works. You've even managed to construct almost a loose frame for the composition and the sky is a part of it. Fine for a 15 year old? - it's fine, fine.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 08:07:29 AM
What don't you like about the sky? If there was one aspect of the image as a whole I'd consider changing it would be to remove the tiniest part of the sky. But as it is it works. You've even managed to construct almost a loose frame for the composition and the sky is a part of it. Fine for a 15 year old? - it's fine, fine.

It's not as bad as I recalled, but I'm not sure about the look of the darker clouds. The sky was rather blown out in the original jpeg. I can see the tiniest crop there. Loose frame is not a term I'm familiar with, though. And I didn't mean to say fine for a fifteen years old. Just that it's among the better images I did around that age. It's still up in Flickr, after all...

My photographs on Flickr

Parsifal

NikF

'Loose frame' = sometimes elements within the image are arranged either intentionally or by happy accident to give the rough impression of a frame. But it doesn't have to rely on only physical aspects.
It's a term we've always used, although I'm sure that doesn't mean it's in universal use everywhere.

For what it's worth I like the darker clouds.

North Star

Quote from: Scarpia on October 14, 2016, 08:33:21 AM
"Uncle Matt"

What a wonderful portrait. The light is managed perfectly, with those highlights drawing attention without obliterating anything.

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 08:38:05 AM
'Loose frame' = sometimes elements within the image are arranged either intentionally or by happy accident to give the rough impression of a frame. But it doesn't have to rely on only physical aspects.
It's a term we've always used, although I'm sure that doesn't mean it's in universal use everywhere.

For what it's worth I like the darker clouds.
Ah yes, I see what you mean. Good to have something of interest in the corners, I often find...

Yes, I like the clouds dark. They just look a bit off to me, the texture. Still, they work better in the image than the original overexposed sky did.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 08:57:40 AM
My current avatar was taken late at night as part of a demo for a lens I was selling to some dude. He wanted to compare it with another of similar focal length. In the end he bought the more expensive of the two.
The photo itself is only notable because I was sitting in the middle of the road at about 02:00 and someone came out of their house to ask if I was okay. ;D

(I was just talking to ol' North Star there about a 'loose frame'...   ??? )
Nice!

That reminds me of this shot of the moon over at Lake Kitka. Another one from when I was too young to drink. :P

My photographs on Flickr

Parsifal

Quote from: North Star on October 14, 2016, 08:44:07 AM
What a wonderful portrait. The light is managed perfectly, with those highlights drawing attention without obliterating anything.

I wish I could take credit. The merit is due to a sunny day, an apple tree in a back yard in The Bronx and Agfachrome. I never knew how clever I had been until the I saw the slide in our Kodak Carousel projector (of Mad Men fame).

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 14, 2016, 09:02:24 AM
Nice!

That reminds me of this shot of the moon over at Lake Kitka. Another one from when I was too young to drink. :P

Young North Star invents combining dragging the shutter and rear curtain sync but without flash?!  And sober too!  ;D