The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

North Star--I love it! I must confess the clouds weren't really doing it for me, however, I love that--clicking and seeing it large really is impressive.
It's all good...

Sergeant Rock

I posted these pics in the wine thread several years ago. Worth preserving here, I think. The girl was 10 or so, serving her father's wine at the annual wine fest in the vineyards above Nierstein Germany. The guy in the middle photo had complained his wine was corked so she poured herself a glass to test the bottle. The last photo shows her giving it a professional taste, swirling and sucking to aerate the wine, before she spit it out and declared he'd been right; it was defective. She opened a new bottle and the customer was satisfied  8)

Vintner's Daughter

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 02, 2014, 04:36:54 AM
That's gorgeous. I just stole it and made it my desktop  8)

Sarge
Thanks! - *calls the lawyer*  $:)
Quote from: Baklavaboy on June 02, 2014, 04:37:38 AM
North Star--I love it! I must confess the clouds weren't really doing it for me, however, I love that--clicking and seeing it large really is impressive.
Cheers!
Yes, it must be seen larger through the link.
The cloud photos are certainly very different in that they don't necessarily have back-/middle- or foreground, or points that are much more interesting than others, all qualities that could certainly doom a photojournalist's career.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 02, 2014, 04:50:05 AM
I posted these pics in the wine thread several years ago. Worth preserving here, I think. The girl was 10 or so, serving her father's wine at the annual wine fest in the vineyards above Nierstein Germany. The guy in the middle photo had complained his wine was corked so she poured herself a glass to test the bottle. The last photo shows her giving it a professional taste, swirling and sucking to aerate the wine, before she spit it out and declared he'd been right; it was defective. She opened a new bottle and the customer was satisfied  8)

Vintner's Daughter

Sarge
Wonderful triptych!
Social services would no doubt fly to intervene if it was here in Finland.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on June 02, 2014, 04:57:38 AM
Social services would no doubt fly to intervene if it was here in Finland.

In my home state Ohio you can't even sell alcohol unless you're 21 or older...which makes buying a six pack or a bottle of wine problematic when the store's cashier is only 19  ;D

The majority of German wine estates are small, family owned, with roots going back centuries. The children begin learning the business at a young age and eventually inherit. I still recall my first encounter with one of Nierstein's great estates, how shocked and amused I was to find the owner's 12-year-old daughter and two of her friends "manning" the wine booth by themselves. I knew little about German wine then. They patiently and expertly gave me a lesson, recommending certain wines, certain vintages.

The girl in my pictures is in her twenties now. She was mentioned recently, correction, three years ago! (damn, time flies when you're old and gray) in a wine blog. Included was a photo showing her at a wine seminar in London, still promoting the family product.

Sarge

Mookalafalas

It used to be in Texas, and maybe other states as well, that minors could drink if accompanied by a parent.  That's going back quite a ways (30 years ago, when I was a teen), but the law might still be around.  Surprisingly, you couldn't serve alcohol if you were underage, even back then.
   When the federal government forced states to raise their drinking age to 21, parts of Louisiana ignored it. I went to the New Orleans area with a friend of mine form there and we went to a large bar/club across from a high school. The students walked right over after school and drank and chatted. My friends and I felt old and out of place, and we were only about 20 or 21... :laugh:
It's all good...

North Star

Getting back to photography..

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2014, 02:30:40 AM

How about photography and alcohol?  8)

Champagne

Sarge

North Star

Very elegant work; that sepia tone & softness make the photo dreamlike. Well composed, too - full of rule of thirds & golden ratio, but the composition doesn't look at all forced.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2014, 03:26:43 AM
Very elegant work; that sepia tone & softness make the photo dreamlike. Well composed, too - full of rule of thirds & golden ratio, but the composition doesn't look at all forced.

I'm glad you like it. It was one of the best things to come out of that particular shoot.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Baklavaboy on June 03, 2014, 02:24:11 AM
It used to be in Texas, and maybe other states as well, that minors could drink if accompanied by a parent.  That's going back quite a ways (30 years ago, when I was a teen), but the law might still be around.  Surprisingly, you couldn't serve alcohol if you were underage, even back then.
   When the federal government forced states to raise their drinking age to 21, parts of Louisiana ignored it. I went to the New Orleans area with a friend of mine form there and we went to a large bar/club across from a high school. The students walked right over after school and drank and chatted. My friends and I felt old and out of place, and we were only about 20 or 21... :laugh:

One of the perks (the only one, actually  ;D ) of joining the army in 1969 was the fact that you were allowed to drink on base even if you were only 17. If you were old enough to die for your country, you were old enough to drink. I took advantage of that (not the dying part  ;) )

Sarge

Brahmsian

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2014, 02:30:40 AM

Neat!  Is that a cat silhouette that seems to be 'carved', or should I say 'lanced' in the trunk of the tree on the right?  :)  That's where my eye was drawn to.

North Star

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 03, 2014, 04:11:12 AM
Neat!  Is that a cat silhouette that seems to be 'carved', or should I say 'lanced' in the trunk of the tree on the right?  :)  That's where my eye was drawn to.
It does have that appearance, I don't know how it has come to be there, though.

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2014, 06:43:35 AM
Excellent work!

North Star, you are too generous, as usual, but thanks ;D

Here is another one from the same "walk".  I was shooting the guy in the distance, but right as I pulled the trigger, this woman came into the frame. I like the effect.
P1100808-2.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on June 03, 2014, 06:50:43 AM
  North Star, you are too generous, as usual, but thanks ;D
Nah, when I do comment I'm not being too generous - I might not comment on everything I don't particularly like (and I might well see something I don't see in a photo at first later) - but it would certainly be better to practice giving constructive criticism, also to help understand what people see in those photographs they post to flickr or wherever, but you don't necessarily know why. Obviously there are those who think every photo they've ever taken of their nieces is worth seeing even if they don't know 1.61803398875 if it hit them in their eye, not to mention the most hideous violations of colour theory there.

Quote from: Baklavaboy on June 03, 2014, 06:50:43 AMHere is another one from the same "walk".  I was shooting the guy in the distance, but right as I pulled the trigger, this woman came into the frame. I like the effect.
Ah, more street photography. :)
With the street photographers on flickr, I think some are stretching Robert 'swindler' Capa's excellent advice "If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." way too far - if you need a Plexiglas shield attached to your camera, your too close - and have forgotten basic rules of composition. Stuart Franklin first thought his photos of the Tiananmen Square Tank Man wouldn't be any good because he was shooting far away from a balcony.
   But here there is no such problem, as the vanishing point gives structure to the photo, and there are also foreground, middleground & background. I also like how the blurred woman looks towards the camera, and the man who is in focus, doesn't. Another splendid shot! :)

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Baklavaboy on June 03, 2014, 06:50:43 AM
Here is another one from the same "walk".  I was shooting the guy in the distance, but right as I pulled the trigger, this woman came into the frame. I like the effect.
P1100808-2.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr

Fortuitous events are part of great street photography, and this is a lovely example.

Once again your image reminds of a street shot I took. I was aiming at a bicycle too when a girl walked into the frame, out of focus, as I snapped. It was in Munich's English Garden and she was taking advantage of that location's liberal rules. Can't post it here, of course.

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 03, 2014, 08:17:21 AMCan't post it here, of course.
However, you could get a flickr account, have 1 TB for photo storage, and share them there..

Thread duty - Click to see large

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot