The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 11, 2014, 05:14:51 AM
Fixed:

Thanks. I think the colors work well together too: the bright turquoise against the more subdued surroundings.

;D

Sarge
My seal of approval.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

And for something more dignified to celebrate the thread's 20th page..

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

I'm pretty sure this will be the last of these apple blossoms..

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

I just posted this in the "What do you look like?" thread, but I think it deserves to be here as well. It really came out nice and it illustrates central Maine quite well, I think (where the caravan that I call extended family lives). From early-March 2014.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on June 14, 2014, 03:16:19 PM
I just posted this in the "What do you look like?" thread, but I think it deserves to be here as well. It really came out nice and it illustrates central Maine quite well, I think (where the caravan that I call extended family lives). From early-March 2014.
I assume you didn't take the picture, though?

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on June 14, 2014, 04:59:26 PM
I assume you didn't take the picture, though?
No, my aunt did. I thought that I wrote that, but I guess I forgot.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: EigenUser on June 14, 2014, 03:16:19 PM

A winter wonderland, with near pristine snow. Nice. Do you also ski? Downhill? Cross Country?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock and her sister:

Fans

Sarge

EigenUser

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2014, 12:56:26 PM
Mrs. Rock and her sister:

Fans

Sarge
Haha, you could say "L'evantail de Mrs. Rock" :laugh:.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2014, 12:54:45 PM
A winter wonderland, with near pristine snow. Nice. Do you also ski? Downhill? Cross Country?

Sarge

Here I am just snowshoeing. I used to go downhill skiing with my parents (many times) when I was little, but I haven't been in a while. We even took a trip to Lake Tahoe for a week in 2001 -- that may very well have been the last time I skied! My dad and his family grew up in Maine, so skiing was a big part of their lives during the Winter, because, well... it's central Maine and I don't think there is much else to do that time of year!

The week I was there when the picture was taken the lows were around -12 F (yes, that was a minus sign!), which was even cool for them that time of year. The weird thing is that I'll be going back up in less than a month. It will look completely different. I'll try and remember to get someone to take the same picture of me in the same place (in the Summer) and I'll post it here.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: EigenUser on June 15, 2014, 01:09:25 PMMy dad and his family grew up in Maine, so skiing was a big part of their lives during the Winter, because, well... it's central Maine and I don't think there is much else to do that time of year!

I understand. When we lived in the Bavarian Alps (1984-1987) it was only logical that we learned to ski.

Quote from: EigenUser on June 15, 2014, 01:09:25 PMThe weird thing is that I'll be going back up in less than a month. It will look completely different. I'll try and remember to get someone to take the same picture of me in the same place (in the Summer) and I'll post it here.

Yes, do. That's a beautiful location, and a spectacular house. I'd like to see it in a different season.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on June 13, 2014, 11:53:38 AM
I'm pretty sure this will be the last of these apple blossoms..

Schade...a beautiful series. Sorry to see it end.

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2014, 01:47:21 PM
Schade...a beautiful series. Sorry to see it end.

Sarge
Thanks. Perhaps next year ;)

I'm a big fan of the latest photos you've posted, btw.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2014, 01:27:08 PM
I understand. When we lived in the Bavarian Alps (1984-1987) it was only logical that we learned to ski.

Yes, do. That's a beautiful location, and a spectacular house. I'd like to see it in a different season.

Sarge
Since I live in Northern Finland, I've done my share of cross-country skiing, haven't ever been really interested in alpine skiing, though.
I'd definitely like to see the summer variation, too.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on June 15, 2014, 02:28:27 PM
Thanks. Perhaps next year ;)

I'm a big fan of the latest photos you've posted, btw.
Since I live in Northern Finland, I've done my share of cross-country skiing, haven't ever been really interested in alpine skiing, though.
I'd definitely like to see the summer variation, too.
I'll be so mad at myself if I forget. You guys will have to remind me in two weeks!

kishnevi

took a tour of the USCGS Eagle, a tall ship used for training and now on a PR tour.   Took several pictures,  and this one seemed worth posting in this thread.

kishnevi

and this one,  taken on board looking at downtown Miami through the rigging.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 15, 2014, 07:05:59 PM
took a tour of the USCGS Eagle, a tall ship used for training and now on a PR tour.   Took several pictures,  and this one seemed worth posting in this thread.

Welcome to the GMG Photo Club, Jeffrey. It's a small group, but elite  ;D  That's an impressive image (the flag).

Sarge

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 16, 2014, 07:03:58 AM
Welcome to the GMG Photo Club, Jeffrey. It's a small group, but elite  ;D  That's an impressive image (the flag).

Sarge

Thank you.  But all I did was stand beneath it on the quay and snap away.   Credit therefore should go to the flag.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 16, 2014, 07:28:37 AM
Thank you.  But all I did was stand beneath it on the quay and snap away.   Credit therefore should go to the flag.

But, dude, you had to look up, see it, and decide it was something worth capturing.

Sarge

mn dave

Please see my Facebook page for my series of selfies.