The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

They look like good pics, but have some scale issues.  They are showing up about 5 times bigger than my whole screen, which makes them hard to see! 
It's all good...

EigenUser

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 07, 2014, 05:05:04 PM
They look like good pics, but have some scale issues.  They are showing up about 5 times bigger than my whole screen, which makes them hard to see!
I know, I know. Sometimes this happens, other times it doesn't. If you right-click "view image" it should be easier to look at.

Edit: I think I figured out how to fix it.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Szykneij

Just got back from a vacation in Maine. The weather was nasty one day, but the result was worth it.

First time I've ever seen both ends of a double rainbow.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mookalafalas

Weather and atmospheric events seems to be the recent theme.  Rainbows are hard to expose well--nice work.  And I love the dramatic Lake Kitka shot.  I'll bet it looks incredible full size on  your desk-top.
It's all good...

EigenUser

Quote from: Szykneij on July 08, 2014, 02:20:00 PM
Just got back from a vacation in Maine.
Me too! Where in Maine? I was in Waterville (central ME, just north of Augusta) visiting family. In fact, that is where the pictures I posted were taken.

I'm visiting my hometown (where I was born) in Marblehead, Massachusetts right now until Friday. Beautiful weather here.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 08, 2014, 02:32:11 PMAnd I love the dramatic Lake Kitka shot.  I'll bet it looks incredible full size on  your desk-top.
Thanks! I wish I had a huge enough desktop display to view the original file full size..  8) (5928 x 3320, some minor cropping from the original 6k x 4k) on it. The image quality does seem to be quite excellent so far, I'd love to make prints at some point..

My photographs on Flickr

Szykneij

Quote from: EigenUser on July 08, 2014, 03:13:40 PM
Me too! Where in Maine? I was in Waterville (central ME, just north of Augusta) visiting family. In fact, that is where the pictures I posted were taken.

I'm visiting my hometown (where I was born) in Marblehead, Massachusetts right now until Friday. Beautiful weather here.

Not quite that far up. I was in York, an area sometimes referred to as "Massachusetts North".  :)

A year ago today, I was in Marblehead for my sister-in-law's wedding at the Boston Yacht Club. We visit Marblehead quite often.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

kishnevi

This thread is making me homesick.

Trapelo Road,  Belmont MA,  a few yards from my uncle's house,   taken almost exactly a year ago,  week of July 4th 2013

Theoretically, if you squint very hard and look over the trees in the center background,  you  can see Mitt Romney's residence;  it's about a mile and half from where my uncle lives.

North Star

Lake Kitka, Finland VIII

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: Szykneij on July 08, 2014, 07:06:55 PM
Not quite that far up. I was in York, an area sometimes referred to as "Massachusetts North".  :)

A year ago today, I was in Marblehead for my sister-in-law's wedding at the Boston Yacht Club. We visit Marblehead quite often.
Ha! I'm in the BYC right now 8)! We're staying here for a few nights. My parents were married here before I was born.

What a beautiful area! I especially love Crocker Park -- my hangout whenever I'm here. When I was little I loved it for the rock-climbing and now I love it for the wind and the views of the harbor.

I was in the famous muffin shop this morning for breakfast and I started talking to another classical music lover who saw that I had the score Dvorak's "Slavonic Dances" on the table (I'm arranging it for violin/piano). People here are so friendly. I always seem to strike up nice conversations with someone whenever I'm here. People in VA/DC are generally very friendly, too, but it doesn't have that "small town" feel.

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on July 09, 2014, 03:19:21 AM

Lake Kitka, Finland VIII

Beauty!  Makes me want to listen to the Op.104 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 09, 2014, 07:15:53 AM
Beauty!  Makes me want to listen to the Op.104 8)
Thanks!

Sibelius, I assume.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

I guess it's too much JMW Turner that makes me edit these pictures after I've uploaded them...

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Turner is a marvelous inspiration!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 09, 2014, 10:16:22 AM
Turner is a marvelous inspiration!
Oh, certainly. My art book collection is a tiny one, but Turner is there, along with Monet, Renoir & Atget. (So, no Bruegel, Dürer, El Greco, Titian, Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Velazquez, Vermeer, David, Ingres, Aivazovsky, Constable, Delacroix, Friedrich, Gallen-Kallela, Goya, Grimshaw, Schjerfbeck, Corot, Millet, Millais, Bierstadt, Church, Courbet, Sargent, Levitan, Repin, Savrasov, Manet, Degas, Cezanne, Caillebotte, Cassat, Morisot, Pissarro, Seurat, Sisley, Hassam, Inness, Whistler {whose Nocturne in Black and Gold - The Falling Rocket was in a sr high mother tongue & lit. text book, and played a very large part in getting me more interested in the arts..}, Beckmann, Dix, Gerstl, Chagall, Gauguin, Kandinsky, Klimt, Matisse, Picasso, Van Gogh, Hopper, Kline, Pollock or Rothko. Or Adams, Brassaï, Callahan, Capa, Cartier-Bresson, Frank, Kertesz, Koudelka, Riboud, Salgado, Stieglitz, or Weston.. :'( )

My photographs on Flickr

Szykneij

Quote from: EigenUser on July 09, 2014, 05:19:19 AM
Ha! I'm in the BYC right now 8)! We're staying here for a few nights. My parents were married here before I was born.

What a beautiful area! I especially love Crocker Park -- my hangout whenever I'm here. When I was little I loved it for the rock-climbing and now I love it for the wind and the views of the harbor.

I was in the famous muffin shop this morning for breakfast and I started talking to another classical music lover who saw that I had the score Dvorak's "Slavonic Dances" on the table (I'm arranging it for violin/piano). People here are so friendly. I always seem to strike up nice conversations with someone whenever I'm here. People in VA/DC are generally very friendly, too, but it doesn't have that "small town" feel.

Marblehead harbor from Crocker Park --

How is the air conditioning in your room? Apparently there was one thermostat for the entire floor, so when we asked for our room to be cooler, the people down the hall froze.  ;D

EigenUser

Quote from: Szykneij on July 09, 2014, 11:56:00 AM
Marblehead harbor from Crocker Park --

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Very nice! I just walked in from Crocker Park. Finished listening to volume I (Spring, Summer) of Haydn "The Seasons" and also Haydn 103.

Quote from: Szykneij on July 09, 2014, 11:56:00 AM
How is the air conditioning in your room? Apparently there was one thermostat for the entire floor, so when we asked for our room to be cooler, the people down the hall froze.  ;D
LOUD! Our room has a window unit. Yesterday I was listening to Mahler's DLVDE and I had to turn it off! Right now it's fairly hot for this area, too, so it isn't very comfortable unless you are right on the water. Then again, I live in the swamplands of Northern VA/DC, so when I get home on Friday I'm sure my glasses will fog up from the humidity once I step out of the air-conditioned car. At least we have central AC, though.

Our room here is so small. It is very nice, though.