The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on February 02, 2015, 03:33:30 AM
Al (and anyone else interested in street photography) might be interested in Critique Portfolio Pro's interview with Thomas Leuthard

https://www.flickr.com/groups/ngproinvitation/discuss/72157650162186279/

Thanks, Karlo. I'll have a look.  Love the portraits you put up above, too.  I stopped buying photo books, however, because I find that after I buy them I never look at them, for some strange reason :-\
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Mmmm...just followed the link. That bio and photo book do make a very tempting pair...
   I actually took my camera out yesterday and squeezed in a few pics.  After Saturday I will have some free time and hopefully will get back into gear...I've just been too overworked lately to want to shoot.
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 03, 2015, 04:36:05 PM
Mmmm...just followed the link. That bio and photo book do make a very tempting pair...
I assume you mean that Karsh book.
QuoteI actually took my camera out yesterday and squeezed in a few pics.  After Saturday I will have some free time and hopefully will get back into gear...I've just been too overworked lately to want to shoot.
But not overworked enough to start shooting?  0:)
And please, get back into photographing instead of the gear..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on February 04, 2015, 01:58:55 AM
I assume you mean that Karsh book.But not overworked enough to start shooting?  0:)
And please, get back into photographing instead of the gear..

Actually, I did the shooting between lunch and a class--I just had about 10 minutes.
  About gear, I meant it idiomatically--get going again.  I actually did buy some new gear, for my m4/3 camera, but may sell it off and just stick with the Canon.  I love the smaller form factor, but hate giving up the shallow Depth-of-field. 
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 04, 2015, 02:15:13 AM
Actually, I did the shooting between lunch and a class--I just had about 10 minutes.
Very nice to have such a break - whenever I have time at lunchtime (like today), I take my camera out for a walk, too. :)

QuoteAbout gear, I meant it idiomatically--get going again.  I actually did buy some new gear, for my m4/3 camera, but may sell it off and just stick with the Canon.  I love the smaller form factor, but hate giving up the shallow Depth-of-field.
Yes, I knew what you really meant. I'd like to get some new lens, too. Maybe a nice standard prime or sth more telephoto..

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

These, and every other photo on my flickr account, at full-screen resolution.. (1½ months' photos are waiting for my Nikon USB cord, expect some new photos by next week's Sunday at the earliest.)

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Lake Kitka XXXII (click the link to see large)

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

I was delighted to discover that a photography thread exists here. The standard is quite high; congratulations to all contributors. I have dabbled a little in photography and would like to participate until I am thrown out for not coming up to the requisite standard  :laugh:

My first contribution....

aligreto

I thought that I should also post this one....

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on February 10, 2015, 01:30:46 PM
I was delighted to discover that a photography thread exists here. The standard is quite high; congratulations to all contributors. I have dabbled a little in photography and would like to participate until I am thrown out for not coming up to the requisite standard  :laugh:

Quote from: aligreto on February 10, 2015, 01:33:09 PM
I thought that I should also post this one....

Very nice images both, particularly the latter one - very striking composition, and the treatment suits the image. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about the object photographed. :)
In what part of Ireland do you live, by the way? I've visited Dublin 8 years ago. I didn't take that many photographs there, though, was too young to drink, and wasn't really interested in Joyce or Yeats back then either..

My photographs on Flickr

Artem

Quote from: aligreto on February 10, 2015, 01:30:46 PM

That is a beautiful photo. Looks like a lost shot from the set of Tarkovsky's Stalker.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Artem on February 10, 2015, 06:49:40 PM
That is a beautiful photo. Looks like a lost shot from the set of Tarkovsky's Stalker.

Yeah, I like that a lot, too.  I would love to see a big, black and white version. Very moody.
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2015, 01:56:03 PM
Very nice images both, particularly the latter one - very striking composition, and the treatment suits the image. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about the object photographed. :)
In what part of Ireland do you live, by the way? I've visited Dublin 8 years ago. I didn't take that many photographs there, though, was too young to drink, and wasn't really interested in Joyce or Yeats back then either..

Thank you for that. I live in the suburbs of Dublin where one is never too far from either the sea....

....or indeed very far from the hills....

....so the landscape can change quickly within a short space of time and within a short distance.

I do hope that you enjoyed your visit.

I will dig out the original image for the archer and post it up later.

aligreto

Quote from: Artem on February 10, 2015, 06:49:40 PM

Thank you very much. I will now display my ignorance and say that I will have to look up Tarkovsky's Stalker  :-[

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 11, 2015, 05:34:30 AM
  Yeah, I like that a lot, too.  I would love to see a big, black and white version. Very moody.

Thank you vwey much. It is a digital image and I was going to change it to a B&W shot at one point but decided against it because I felt that even though it is in colour, it is almost monochrome in tone and I thought that aided the mood.

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on February 11, 2015, 08:26:16 AM
Thank you for that. I live in the suburbs of Dublin where one is never too far from either the sea....

....or indeed very far from the hills....
....so the landscape can change quickly within a short space of time and within a short distance.
Nice photos, too, particularly the last one.
QuoteI do hope that you enjoyed your visit.
I sure did. :)
Quote from: aligreto on February 11, 2015, 08:28:25 AM
Thank you very much. I will now display my ignorance and say that I will have to look up Tarkovsky's Stalker  :-[
You can watch the movie online.  8)
http://www.openculture.com/2010/07/tarkovksy.html

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2015, 01:56:03 PM
.... very striking composition, and the treatment suits the image. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about the object photographed. :)

There was nothing special or remarkable about that statue. It was randomly placed in a large park. I loved it for its bold lines and size. I deliberalty chose the angle to try to enhance both of these aspects.
Here is the original image....