The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on February 17, 2015, 11:22:52 AM
I suppose you would need to look for simple patterns or abstract subjects to make similiar images; keep looking.

Yes of course, but the maple leaf is by far the best thing in macroscopic size for such a photo in nature.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

North Star

It would be nice to have all three in focus, but without altering that background bokeh.

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 21, 2015, 09:54:38 AM
It would be nice to have all three in focus, but without altering that background bokeh.

I possibly do have as I took quite a number of shots in that session [in my garden] but I cannot find them quickly.

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on February 21, 2015, 02:02:29 PM
I possibly do have as I took quite a number of shots in that session [in my garden] but I cannot find them quickly.
That can't have be from the same spot and with the same f-value, though. In any case, there's no need to go digging for them.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Lots of great and varied nature photography on this site (from man & nature and photo art to still-lifes, wildlife & landscapes) . I'm not a member but I've visited the place since long before I started getting more serious about photography
http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/ic.cgi?a=vk&ns=1

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 21, 2015, 02:08:33 PM
That can't have be from the same spot and with the same f-value, though. In any case, there's no need to go digging for them.

They are indeed taken from the same spot; they were part of an exercise in differential focusing and depth of field so I just altered some settings on the camera.

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 22, 2015, 02:39:21 AM
Lots of great and varied nature photography on this site (from man & nature and photo art to still-lifes, wildlife & landscapes) . I'm not a member but I've visited the place since long before I started getting more serious about photography
http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/ic.cgi?a=vk&ns=1

Oh that site looks very interesting; thank you for the link. I will look at it more closely later.

Szykneij

Great photo! The intersecting lines of the shadows create a nice effect.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

aligreto

Quote from: Szykneij on February 22, 2015, 05:36:21 AM
Great photo! The intersecting lines of the shadows create a nice effect.

Thank you; I tried to compose it so that the flowers swept in an arc out of those shadows.

North Star

Both of the flower photos are really nice.

I photographed some dried flowers last spring, click on the images to view the whole set.

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 23, 2015, 12:24:15 PM

I photographed some dried flowers last spring, click on the images to view the whole set.

Your technique is very good. Did you use a light box? The light looks too soft for direct flash.

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on February 23, 2015, 01:21:18 PM
Your technique is very good. Did you use a light box? The light looks too soft for direct flash.
Thanks. No light boxes or flashes of any kind, just the light from windows, and some ceiling lights (very indirect indeed). Working without a tripod, the 1/8 s. exposure time with the zoom lens at 270mm did require rather steady hands.

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 23, 2015, 01:56:41 PM
Thanks. No light boxes or flashes of any kind, just the light from windows, and some ceiling lights (very indirect indeed). Working without a tripod, the 1/8 s. exposure time with the zoom lens at 270mm did require rather steady hands.

Well done on that lighting set up and on those steady hands  ;)

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on February 23, 2015, 02:28:21 PM
Well done on that lighting set up and on those steady hands  ;)
Cheers. I actually took some more of these during the holidays, I'll have to see when I'll be able to post them - and the other stuff I've photographed... I have about 900 photos on my camera waiting to be transferred & edited.  ::)

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on February 23, 2015, 02:35:36 PM
Cheers. I actually took some more of these during the holidays, I'll have to see when I'll be able to post them - and the other stuff I've photographed... I have about 900 photos on my camera waiting to be transferred & edited.  ::)

I think that we all do that; it is standard practice really! I do it slightly differently though; I transfer everything asap [for security reasons] and then wait months to do the editing  ::)