Here's something related from years ago:

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on March 02, 2015, 02:18:14 PM
Do I detect a yet another Monet fan? 8)
Here's something related from years ago:

Yes, definitely another Monet fan here!

Interestingly your image features ducks, mine a duck feather  :)

North Star

Quote from: North Star on March 02, 2015, 07:22:47 AM
Lake Kitka, XXXIII
Quote from: karlhenning on March 02, 2015, 07:24:32 AM
Beautiful
Quote from: George on March 02, 2015, 07:28:41 AM
LOVE IT!!
Quote from: aligreto on March 02, 2015, 10:21:59 AM
Super shot!
Thanks guys.  :)

As usual, the cleaning starts in earnest only after publishing the work. There was a line (yes, like someone had drawn a straight line on the water. Ugh) on the mist-covered waters on the left part of the image that stuck out. The whole image has some moire, but lets just call that atmosphere. . .

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on March 07, 2015, 06:24:01 PM
Also updated this one:

That is very similiar to a shot of mine....

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mookalafalas

Sarge, what is going on?? That wasn't "the ex" in earlier posts, was it?  "The ex" was dark haired and more small-featured, as I recall.  If you now have a new ex, that is some sad news :(  I hope all is well.
It's all good...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 12, 2015, 06:19:02 AM
Sarge, what is going on?? That wasn't "the ex" in earlier posts, was it?  "The ex" was dark haired and more small-featured, as I recall.  If you now have a new ex, that is some sad news :(  I hope all is well.

Same ex. She's blonde.  Although we divorced in 1977 she has continued to model for me.

Mrs. Rock is brown/dark auburn haired. Here she is:

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 12, 2015, 06:19:02 AM
Sarge, what is going on?? That wasn't "the ex" in earlier posts, was it?

Here's my gallery with all the photos I've posted to this thread. The blonde (first seen in image 27) is the ex.

http://imageevent.com/sgtrock/photography

Sarge

Mookalafalas

Ah! That is great news.  I should have gone back in the thread and checked more carefully. I somehow got the two confused initially, apparently.
   You have fine taste, Sarge, and good luck ;D
     I am a big fan of the new Mrs. Rock 8)

BTW, I am having a photography related nightmare.  I have my photos saved on two separate hard drives.  A few days ago one of them started clicking. An unmistakable sign of it's going bad. I quickly bought a new hard drive and when I started to transfer files realized the back up drive was also going south :'(  I had 119,000 pictures.  I am still struggling to recover them, but it is looking grim.  I saved the majority, but will probably lose about 20-30K pictures and lots of home movies...
   Anyway, if you have lots of precious pictures (or other digital files), it might be worthwhile to have TWO back ups.
It's all good...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 13, 2015, 05:35:46 AM
BTW, I am having a photography related nightmare.  I have my photos saved on two separate hard drives.  A few days ago one of them started clicking. An unmistakable sign of it's going bad. I quickly bought a new hard drive and when I started to transfer files realized the back up drive was also going south :'(  I had 119,000 pictures.  I am still struggling to recover them, but it is looking grim.  I saved the majority, but will probably lose about 20-30K pictures and lots of home movies...
   Anyway, if you have lots of precious pictures (or other digital files), it might be worthwhile to have TWO back ups.

Sorry to hear about your hardware troubles. After a few catastrophic hard drive failures, I learned my lesson. I now have four external drives backing up my most important files, including the thousands of photos and slides I laboriously scanned and edited.

Sarge

NikF

For what it's worth I have the three backups; one locally on  SSD, another SSD elsewhere, and the third is in the cloud. All the files are RAW, but one day I might switch to DNG. It depends.
My 135/120/misc negatives are stored in sleeves by Secol and the slides in polypropylene boxes. And then after that there's no point in worrying. But I do walk under every ladder I see. And I always sleep well.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

mc ukrneal

Ah! That is great news.  I should have gone back in the thread and checked more carefully. I somehow got the two confused initially, apparently.
   You have fine taste, Sarge, and good luck ;D
     I am a big fan of the new Mrs. Rock 8)

Alas, I had something similar happen last summer (with all my Tchaikovsky 5 files, which is why I am stalled out on that still). I was planning to send it somewhere to see if they could save some of the pictures/videos when I get to a place to do so (though I have little hope). Luckily, I am only missing about 2-3 months of personal pictures and 4-5 months of videos (well, and cd rips for about 6 months, but that is fixable). It's still a lot, but could have been much worse. I saved all my personal files, work files and pics for 10-12 years. I feel your pain.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

That's terrible, Al. Good luck with the recovery.

Anyway, someone should post more photographs in here. . .
Quote from: NikF on March 13, 2015, 06:51:53 AM
For what it's worth I have the three backups; one locally on  SSD, another SSD elsewhere, and the third is in the cloud. All the files are RAW, but one day I might switch to DNG. It depends.
My 135/120/misc negatives are stored in sleeves by Secol and the slides in polypropylene boxes. And then after that there's no point in worrying. But I do walk under every ladder I see. And I always sleep well.
Ah! Show us your photos, then.  8)
Meanwhile, might as well repost this slideshow . . .

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 13, 2015, 07:06:52 AM
Ah! Show us your photos, then.  8)

I'm not keen on posting anything, although I understand if the criteria for posting a comment in the thread also requires showing some work. So I'll keep my mouth shut. But I've enjoyed looking at what others are contributing and I never tire of viewing photographs - it's so rewarding.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 13, 2015, 07:34:33 AM
I'm not keen on posting anything, although I understand if the criteria for posting a comment in the thread also requires showing some work. So I'll keep my mouth shut. But I've enjoyed looking at what others are contributing and I never tire of viewing photographs - it's so rewarding.
Oh, I wasn't serious, of course. But in order to have photographs to view/discuss, someone has to post them. Even if they turn out to be a professional photographer. . .   ::)

Quote from: NikF on March 13, 2015, 08:37:19 AM
I've a couple of scans and photos and tearsheets on this tablet, and I don't mind posting those. I'm doing so more for reasons of 'as a matter of interest' than any other.

The vast majority of what I shoot is for agencies. More exactly, for fashion agencies and their clients. However I'm not a fashion photographer per se - my working port just looks that way.

Okay, a few years ago I was asked to shoot an instore lingerie show. One of the models kept threatening to flash me when she was naked between fits. I was single at the time and all for it, but I was asked to go outside and move the car. As I was parking it again she jumped into the window and flashed me. But she didn't know I always keep some kind of camera/lens under the driver's seat. This is the second shot.

A long time ago Yahoo photos closed and I opened an account at Flickr. It was for clients to view a virtual contact sheet of a shoot. But it was also a place for me to dump stuff which I considered...well...crap. It included this photo here, which for a couple of years was my most 'stolen' photo which turned up on so many different websites and places, that we lost count.

This was part of a huge installation we did for a label in a 'tres hip' clothing store. Notice how this is cropped? Sure, Ms. Assist. Art Director, sure...

Finally, one of the agencies sent me a new girl: "Can you do anything with her?" New girl takes a seat and then proceeds to have a nervous breakdown...

...so I waited a while and then took her to the cafe/bar under the studio. We sat at a table outside and had a couple of drinks. And I'd brought a camera and lens and two reflectors with me, of course. One reflector held in my left hand overhead, the other tucked under my chin (clamshell/Paramount kind of thing) and "Blah, blah, blah, we'll just sit and chat, blah blah..." First shot.

Well, that'll do. My apologies if I've broken any thread rules.
And as I said before, I love looking at photos, regardless of the genre, style or intent. If you post it I'll enjoy looking at it.

Thanks for the contribution.  :)

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on March 13, 2015, 08:37:19 AM

Well, that'll do. My apologies if I've broken any thread rules.
And as I said before, I love looking at photos, regardless of the genre, style or intent. If you post it I'll enjoy looking at it.

Based on what you have displayed above I would certainly agree with the request to post more of your work; I would certainly love to see more of it and would also benefit a lot personally from looking at more work of a high standard and quality....the more the better.