The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on April 30, 2015, 02:34:57 AM
I don't actually have any real experience of working with film, being the youngster that I am.

And therein lies a great challenge and opportunity young man  ;)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: aligreto on April 30, 2015, 08:43:16 AM
I love the colours in that one.

Yeah, me too. I wish I could take credit for them...it was mid-day, and under direct sunlight everything should have been bleached out, but for some reason (the camera? the lens?), the colors really came out deeply saturated.
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 30, 2015, 08:48:11 AM
  Yeah, me too. I wish I could take credit for them...it was mid-day, and under direct sunlight everything should have been bleached out, but for some reason (the camera? the lens?), the colors really came out deeply saturated.

Interesting; it does not look greatly underexposed either. Lucky shot!?!?

NikF

Quote from: North Star on April 30, 2015, 02:34:57 AM
I don't actually have any real experience of working with film, being the youngster that I am.

It's going to be around for a good while yet, so you've plenty of time. And it would be cool to see your journey as you discover its potential and how you bring it into your work. But as I said, I'm not knocking the digital domain at all. And I accept that part of why I like film is purely nostalgia.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 30, 2015, 08:48:11 AM

When I see colours like that I notice that they're almost always accompanied by a kind of (medium) contrast that resembles the efforts of someone working in post rather, than simply the jpeg algorithm in camera looking for high contrast areas. But in this particular instance I think one of the secrets to the saturation is the statement "...mid-day, and under direct sunlight..." - that's given the sensor plenty of light to drink in and a result is what appears to be a lack of noise, which means everything's getting a chance to work to its full potential on the route to capture.
Also, a lens hood (or a hand or even the edge of a case or strap flapping about and for that instant acting as one) is vitally important.
Having said all of that, don't understate the role of the photographer, because releasing the shutter is a decision. Lucky shot? Maybe. But, "The more you practice the luckier you get".
Finally, the missed focus is a pity - but we're only human and the documents we create of our lives sometimes have value in reflecting that.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on April 30, 2015, 09:11:14 AM
It's going to be around for a good while yet, so you've plenty of time. And it would be cool to see your journey as you discover its potential and how you bring it into your work. But as I said, I'm not knocking the digital domain at all. And I accept that part of why I like film is purely nostalgia.
Oh, film will certainly be around. And I wouldn't mind having a darkroom to play in.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 30, 2015, 05:16:00 AM
  I had a couple of those old Kodaks that looked like an ice-cream sandwich.  I think one cost $22.  I considered that a lot of money at the time.  I don't even think you focused. Just pushed the button I don't think I knew what framing meant ::)
   Here's a color shot, of my son from a couple of weeks ago.
Missed Focus but lovely color.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr

I think the focus is near perfect there.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: NikF on April 30, 2015, 09:31:02 AM
When I see colours like that I notice that they're almost always accompanied by a kind of (medium) contrast that resembles the efforts of someone working in post rather, than simply the jpeg algorithm in camera looking for high contrast areas. But in this particular instance I think one of the secrets to the saturation is the statement "...mid-day, and under direct sunlight..." - that's given the sensor plenty of light to drink in and a result is what appears to be a lack of noise, which means everything's getting a chance to work to its full potential on the route to capture.
Also, a lens hood (or a hand or even the edge of a case or strap flapping about and for that instant acting as one) is vitally important.
Having said all of that, don't understate the role of the photographer, because releasing the shutter is a decision. Lucky shot? Maybe. But, "The more you practice the luckier you get".
Finally, the missed focus is a pity - but we're only human and the documents we create of our lives sometimes have value in reflecting that.

I agree that it has that "boosted in post" look.  I generally always do boost color, contrast, and sharpness a bit in post (I shoot RAW), but this whole series had this weird, even fake looking saturation.  I started to reduce the saturation so it wouldn't look overprocessed, but then decided to keep it.  (I did boost the blue to bring out the sky, as it was actually hazy and almost blown).
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 30, 2015, 07:06:34 PM
I think the focus is near perfect there.

When seen more closeup, the face is actually a bit soft, and the focus is on the pump to the right.  It's my own fault, I love shooting wide open with shallow depth of field.  This is the new Sigma 24mm F1.4, BTW--a pretty nice lens.  I really love shooting with a 24mm.

Here is another from the same park.
Josie in the monochrome Sun.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr
It's all good...

North Star

Lovely shot, Al. The shallow DOF is great there.
Sally Mann on NYT, of particular interest to folks shooting their kids in b&w, perhaps ;)

Thread duty

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on April 30, 2015, 09:40:45 PM
Lovely shot, Al. The shallow DOF is great there.
Sally Mann on NYT, of particular interest to folks shooting their kids in b&w, perhaps ;)

Thread duty

thanks North Star (and everybody!) for the comments and consideration.

Another
Anping Skyline.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr
It's all good...

NikF

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 30, 2015, 07:24:28 PM
   I agree that it has that "boosted in post" look.  I generally always do boost color, contrast, and sharpness a bit in post (I shoot RAW), but this whole series had this weird, even fake looking saturation.  I started to reduce the saturation so it wouldn't look overprocessed, but then decided to keep it.  (I did boost the blue to bring out the sky, as it was actually hazy and almost blown).

Good that you show RAW. Most people only come to that after losing a shot.

North Star

Yes, the best way is to shoot raw, and cook later, but leaving it rare or medium. 8)

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: aligreto on May 01, 2015, 08:07:26 AM
Super! I love the drama in that sky.

thanks, Aligreto.  Taiwan is semi-tropical, and usually there is some haze in the air and "white skies" :'( Occasionally, though, conditions are good and I can get stuff like this.
   One nice thing about living here, however, is there are people with cameras everywhere.   As long as you don't actually stick the camera right in someone's face, people don't mind you shooting at all.  Apparently in many places that is not the case...
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 01, 2015, 05:23:17 PM

.... One nice thing about living here, however, is there are people with cameras everywhere.   As long as you don't actually stick the camera right in someone's face, people don't mind you shooting at all.  Apparently in many places that is not the case...

That is true. People are fearful for their privacy and of internet use/misuse I suppose; a singn of the times that we live in I suppose.

North Star

My photographs on Flickr