North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: sanantonio on June 07, 2015, 07:26:10 AM
North Star, (I haven't read back over this thread and this may have been asked) what kind of camera do you use?  Do you ever take pictures with your phone?
Nikon D7100. Practically never use the phone for photography, certainly not for anything slightly serious or artistic. Not that a phone camera can't do a fair bit of that, see e.g. John Acurso's Lotus series: http://johnacurso.com/Lotus/Lotus.html

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

First forays into the world of dodge & burn, any comments?

Original:

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on June 08, 2015, 12:11:32 AM

Subtle differences but I prefer the original because the dark blue patch in the upper left corner works better for me: the upper corners match and balance the image.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Original:

I'll go along with a preference for the original (and for more or less the same type of reason offered by Sergeant Rock ) but that shouldn't be taken as a criticism of your D&B.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 08, 2015, 04:43:32 AM
Subtle differences but I prefer the original because the dark blue patch in the upper left corner works better for me: the upper corners match and balance the image.

Sarge
Quote from: NikF on June 08, 2015, 05:16:39 AM
I'll go along with a preference for the original (and for more or less the same type of reason offered by Sergeant Rock ) but that shouldn't be taken as a criticism of your D&B.
Thanks for the comments. I do agree with you as well, the vignette makes the clouds more symmetrical (and overall more clearly shaped), and frames & makes the whole image more balanced.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on June 08, 2015, 05:29:43 AM
Thanks for the comments. I do agree with you as well, the vignette makes the clouds more symmetrical (and overall more clearly shaped), and frames & makes the whole image more balanced.

You're welcome. And it's like anything else, in that the more you practice and work with it then the more it becomes a viable tool.  Having said that, it's also one of those things that are so subjective - but as long as you remain honest about your work then you'll do fine.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: North Star on June 07, 2015, 07:18:37 AM

Even when I don't comment I always like to look at all the photos in this thread. But we were away for a while and so I've a backlog! However I looked at this one and said out loud "I like the colour, although the elements are a little tight for my taste". My girlfriend overheard, then asked what I meant. I explained. So she went out with the camera she bought last year and  went into the garden and shot this -

As you can see, she's still firmly in the stage that most people seem to go through of 'If its possible to shoot wide open I will always do so!' But at least you inspired her.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on June 08, 2015, 06:08:17 AM
Even when I don't comment I always like to look at all the photos in this thread. But we were away for a while and so I've a backlog! However I looked at this one and said out loud "I like the colour, although the elements are a little tight for my taste". My girlfriend overheard, then asked what I meant. I explained. So she went out with the camera she bought last year and  went into the garden and shot this -

As you can see, she's still firmly in the stage that most people seem to go through of 'If its possible to shoot wide open I will always do so!' But at least you inspired her.
That's precisely how I feel about the image as well. There was another vessel below the image field, and while it would have been relatively easy to clone out, it obviously influenced me at the time.

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Quote from: NikF on June 08, 2015, 06:08:17 AM

And I like this one.  The contrast of precise foreground and extremely blurred background for one thing.

NikF

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 08, 2015, 10:47:37 AM
And I like this one.  The contrast of precise foreground and extremely blurred background for one thing.

I showed her your comment and she's asked me to thank you, so "thanks"!

aligreto

Original:

An interesting start into a whole new discipline. I have not done much in this area [digitally] myself either as I feel that it can sometimes look too obvious. However I think that you have done well here.  ;)

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on June 08, 2015, 01:28:19 PM
An interesting start into a whole new discipline. I have not done much in this area [digitally] myself either as I feel that it can sometimes look too obvious. However I think that you have done well here.  ;)
And doing that also reminded me of what I most liked about the original.  8)

Thread duty

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Some editing to these two:

My photographs on Flickr