The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Selfishly giving this thread a bump on account of it having slipped off the first page, because even if I don't comment all that often I do like to see what people are shooting.

Don't have much to post myself, but the recent 'My camera died....' thread (http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,24979.0.html) made me think of compact cameras and how they can be used.

This is my current compact digital camera. I bought it used because we buy a lot of our stuff used rather than new, due it getting hammered. Anyway, it's relatively ancient and has limitations. Some of those can be addressed by being reasonable in expectations of what you can do with it, but also by having enough light on the subject and simple additions such as a lens hood.

Here's an example of how you can push such a camera. One of the agency models was in the studio and so I got the compact and shot this. Eventually we used this image for a Sed card (zed card/comp card - whatever it's called down your way) and this is a scan of one them.

An aside: this was a full body shot at eye level and so as usual I was up a ladder - because this chick is 6' 1" (185cm?) in her bare tootsies.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on July 21, 2015, 02:41:05 AM

This is my current compact digital camera. I bought it used because we buy a lot of our stuff used rather than new, due it getting hammered. Anyway, it's relatively ancient and has limitations. Some of those can be addressed by being reasonable in expectations of what you can do with it, but also by having enough light on the subject and simple additions such as a lens hood.

That is quite a retro looking camera; I thought that it was an old analogue model when I glanced at it first.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Looks interesting, although I don't know if you made a conscious decision to have less shadow detail than in others of the series? In any case, I'll have a look on one of the monitors at work and see what it reveals.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

kishnevi

Quote from: North Star on July 24, 2015, 02:23:04 AM
Lake Kitka XLII

The ripples on the water have an interesting effect on the reflections of the clouds.

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on July 24, 2015, 02:28:27 AM
Looks interesting, although I don't know if you made a conscious decision to have less shadow detail than in others of the series? In any case, I'll have a look on one of the monitors at work and see what it reveals.

I thought the same i.e. that it was a conscious decision to underexpose to enhance the colour saturation in the sunset coloured sky. It will be interesting to read what the photographer says  :)

Henk

North Star

Quote from: NikF on July 24, 2015, 02:28:27 AM
Quote from: aligreto on July 24, 2015, 12:56:29 PM
I thought the same i.e. that it was a conscious decision to underexpose to enhance the colour saturation in the sunset coloured sky. It will be interesting to read what the photographer says  :)
The amount of shadow detail is a conscious decision, yes - and certainly not only to humor the sky tones. The few details in there are more emphasized than they would be if the woods were crowded with detail.  I'm not sure if there is less shadow detail than in that many of the rest of the series, though. (XXXVI, XXXV, XXXII, XXVII, XXII, XIX, XVIII, XIII, XII, XI, X, IV aren't exactly full of detail either.) I have grown somewhat fond of that near-silhouette look.

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 24, 2015, 05:26:10 AM
The ripples on the water have an interesting effect on the reflections of the clouds.
Thanks, Jeffrey. That is definitely a theme running through the series.

Quote from: Henk on July 24, 2015, 01:01:29 PM
Great shots, Karlo! :)
Thanks, Henk.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Henk

Found this on Pinterest. Similar kind of photography as yours, Karlo.

Henk

North Star

Something different for a change

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: Henk on August 01, 2015, 04:52:57 AM
Found this on Pinterest. Similar kind of photography as yours, Karlo.

Quote from: Henk on August 01, 2015, 05:52:10 AM

(didn't take it myself)

Two excellent images!

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on August 01, 2015, 09:24:20 AM
Something different for a change

....and very interesting! A friend of mine does quite a lot of similiar work to this.

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on August 01, 2015, 02:01:29 PM

....and very interesting! A friend of mine does quite a lot of similiar work to this.

Cheers. Sometimes that impressionistic motion haze is just the thing.

Quote from: aligreto on August 03, 2015, 02:11:06 AM
Nice, although I wouldn't mind a less dramatic contrast to have a bit more detail here.

Thread duty:

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot