The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on September 06, 2015, 08:29:07 AM

An aspect of this I like is that it appears shot from approximately the subject's chest height. Far too often photos I see online are always at the subject's eye level. Sure, like anything else there can be valid reasons for that and you always need to take into account the proverbial exceptions to the rule. But here even if the subject is standing on a box or platform or step or something you're giving them a chance to appear true to life and/or perhaps augmenting their stature to fit their role.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on September 06, 2015, 11:17:15 AM
An aspect of this I like is that it appears shot from approximately the subject's chest height. Far too often photos I see online are always at the subject's eye level. Sure, like anything else there can be valid reasons for that and you always need to take into account the proverbial exceptions to the rule. But here even if the subject is standing on a box or platform or step or something you're giving them a chance to appear true to life and/or perhaps augmenting their stature to fit their role.
Absolutely. The low POV gives authority to the subject.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on September 06, 2015, 11:17:15 AM

Yes, you are quite correct in that the subject was standing on a platform. I stumbled upon him totally by accident and he was a great character and subject. Unfortunately he was finishing up as I came upon him and I only got two shots, this one being the second one....

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: NikF on July 03, 2015, 04:33:20 PM
Good work. Personal preference would perhaps consider tighter framing? But nonetheless, good work indeed.
I finally got around to this. I did also a crop with a sixth of the width removed from the left which I might actually prefer. . .

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on September 16, 2015, 11:25:30 PM
I finally got around to this. I did also a crop with a sixth of the width removed from the left which I might actually prefer. . .

Yeah, I like that. As a whole it's even more together.
The blade now has a stronger presence/influence on the left of the frame.  Also, to my eye the shadow cast from centre to bottom right has become a more important and solid element of the composition - adds validity to it being there.
It'll be a week or so before I can view it via a decent monitor, however I can already see it's fine work. Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on September 17, 2015, 11:19:01 PM
Yeah, I like that. As a whole it's even more together.
The blade now has a stronger presence/influence on the left of the frame.  Also, to my eye the shadow cast from centre to bottom right has become a more important and solid element of the composition - adds validity to it being there.
It'll be a week or so before I can view it via a decent monitor, however I can already see it's fine work. Good stuff.
Thanks. I (perhaps obviously) agree with the comments.

More from May (I have photographed after that, even today actually, but I will wait before getting that stuff on the computer). Click on the images to see them properly, as usual.

Related photos posted before: (yeah, that sepia toning looks perhaps a bit too different from these)

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on September 19, 2015, 12:16:51 PM
Thanks. I (perhaps obviously) agree with the comments.

More from May (I have photographed after that, even today actually, but I will wait before getting that stuff on the computer). Click on the images to see them properly, as usual.

Related photos posted before: (yeah, that sepia toning looks perhaps a bit too different from these)

But enhances them, in my opinion  ;)

North Star

Quote from: Sean on September 20, 2015, 03:14:29 AM
ha.

Quote from: aligreto on September 20, 2015, 02:53:39 AM
But enhances them, in my opinion  ;)
Thanks. I like that the tones differ, certainly. The series could do with additions from the in-between tonalities, though.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Mookalafalas

Gorgeous work.  Very impressive all around. 

Sean, I like how your photo mirrors your avatar :D
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 05, 2015, 04:25:28 PM
Yeah, good work.
Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 06, 2015, 05:26:05 AM
Gorgeous work.  Very impressive all around. 
Thanks, guys.
I managed to get some nice shots the weekend before last at a pond nearby, some influence of Monet and Atget shows in them, I think. On Saturday, I visited Koli.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 06, 2015, 06:21:59 AM
Thanks, guys.
I managed to get some nice shots the weekend before last at a pond nearby, some influence of Monet and Atget shows in them, I think. On Saturday, I visited Koli.

You're welcome.
Look forward to seeing any of your new stuff - or that of anyone else - that's available to view.

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on October 06, 2015, 06:39:39 AM
Look forward to seeing any of your new stuff - or that of anyone else - that's available to view.

+1  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 06, 2015, 06:39:39 AM
You're welcome.
Quote from: karlhenning on October 06, 2015, 06:44:56 AM
+1  :)
There will be something new in a couple of weeks, but probably not before that. If you do hold your breath for the whole duration, it's your own responsibility ;)

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 06, 2015, 07:05:12 AM
There will be something new in a couple of weeks, but probably not before that. If you do hold your breath for the whole duration, it's your own responsibility ;)

On yeah? 'All-Ireland Circular Breathing Champion of 1905' here, I'll have ye know...!