The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 14, 2015, 03:01:17 PM
I certainly like the middle range. However, as my only lens at the moment is the 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, I can't take all the credit for that.  ::)
But yes, I tend to like the look where the DoF isn't too extremely shallow - and the background, while not in focus, still has detail.

You're getting great results from it. And if/when you add another lens you'll find you can identify its strengths/weaknesses. Also, regardless of the lens used, f/11 is a great leveller.
For what it's worth although we have a range of focal lengths covered (including backups) I only use two lenses at work.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2015, 03:30:50 PM
You're getting great results from it. And if/when you add another lens you'll find you can identify its strengths/weaknesses. Also, regardless of the lens used, f/11 is a great leveller.
For what it's worth although we have a range of focal lengths covered (including backups) I only use two lenses at work.
Thanks. Great leveler in so many ways, indeed.
Getting more lenses would be nice. The Nikon 50mm 1.8G ought to be rather nice for some shallower DoF, portraiture, and anything in lower light conditions. And the price is right, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 14, 2015, 03:43:04 PM
Thanks. Great leveler in so many ways, indeed.
Getting more lenses would be nice. The Nikon 50mm 1.8G ought to be rather nice for some shallower DoF, portraiture, and anything in lower light conditions. And the price is right, too.

Yeah, it'll do fine for giving you more options with the DoF and low light. Without wanting to open a can of worms and get into what constitutes a 'portrait', I'll add that even on a cropped sensor (that's what you're shooting with, yes?) I don't consider 50mm to be ideal. I see people using a 85 for headshots but I don't think it's a natural look. Sure, there have been styles and whole careers built on it. However I think it's less than flattering for all subjects other than children and puppies - and even then it's a gimmick. I wouldn't go closer than this with a 50 -

And no closer than this with an 85 -

See how it's starting to push her chin back? And that's a crop.

On 35mm I like being around 180 or 200mm. The majority of what I do is at that kind of length. And in the old days it was often even longer. So don't overlook the long end of your zoom for portraiture.
But yeah, a 50 is cool. I use one as my walkaround. This one's my favourite - and probably the sharpest lens I own -

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 15, 2015, 02:47:03 AM
Yeah, it'll do fine for giving you more options with the DoF and low light. Without wanting to open a can of worms and get into what constitutes a 'portrait', I'll add that even on a cropped sensor (that's what you're shooting with, yes?) I don't consider 50mm to be ideal. I see people using a 85 for headshots but I don't think it's a natural look. Sure, there have been styles and whole careers built on it. However I think it's less than flattering for all subjects other than children and puppies - and even then it's a gimmick. I wouldn't go closer than this with a 50 -

And no closer than this with an 85 -

See how it's starting to push her chin back? And that's a crop.

On 35mm I like being around 180 or 200mm. The majority of what I do is at that kind of length. And in the old days it was often even longer. So don't overlook the long end of your zoom for portraiture.
But yeah, a 50 is cool. I use one as my walkaround. This one's my favourite - and probably the sharpest lens I own -

Oh, I know that a 50mm on my cropped sensor D7100 isn't long at all. I do tend to prefer the 105-106 mm range of my 18-105 most things not landscape. So I suppose I should start saving for that 70-200 f/2.8...

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on October 15, 2015, 05:21:40 AM
Oh, I know that a 50mm on my cropped sensor D7100 isn't long at all. I do tend to prefer the 105-106 mm range of my 18-105 most things not landscape. So I suppose I should start saving for that 70-200 f/2.8...

The D7100  has a built in motor for autofocus?

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Talking about portraits using a 35mm camera (Canon FTb in this case) with a 50mm lens: here's one. A crop, of course. The original extends from the top of her head to just below her breasts. Wrong lens for the job but it's all I had at the time.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 15, 2015, 08:30:11 AM
Talking about portraits using a 35mm camera (Canon FTb in this case) with a 50mm lens: here's one. A crop, of course. The original extends from the top of her head to just below her breasts. Wrong lens for the job but it's all I had at the time.

Sarge

Sure, you need to work with what you have. And that's my compromise with using a 50mm lens as a walkaround. I can make it appear wider -

- but not longer. However as you've shown, with 35mm film there's usually enough real estate for a crop.
Incidentally, you've certainly got a way when it comes to engaging with your subject(s).  I know that some of the people I work with consider the biggest change in photography (other than the move into the digital domain) is the relative lack of ability to communicate with the model.

North Star

More from last year's vault

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on October 19, 2015, 09:44:57 AM

Is it sentient? It looks like a life form I saw on a Voyager episode last night  ;D A beautiful and slightly alien-looking image.

Sarge

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

IV, and the last one of these

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock x 2 (Olympus OM-4 with a Vivitar 70-210 F/3.5 Series 1)

NikF

Sergeant Rock

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 26, 2015, 07:36:33 AM
That's good work.
+1

Oh, and I have to pick up something from the post later this week.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on October 26, 2015, 09:18:00 AM
+1

Oh, and I have to pick up something from the post later this week.  8)

A new lens?

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 26, 2015, 09:19:01 AM
A new lens?

Sarge
I generously accepted to give a new home to a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF of NikF.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on October 26, 2015, 09:37:54 AM
I generously accepted to give a new home to a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF of NikF.

Excellent! You'll put it to good use, I'm sure.

Sarge