The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 05, 2016, 05:20:41 AM
In other news -

A old scan of a tear sheet. This is from...eight or nine years ago. I remember being surprised that they went with this shot, due to the lack of fill. The shame of it!
Well it does make for a certain ghoulish mood. Ready for another vampire romance book series cover. . .
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 05, 2016, 08:56:32 AM
Well it does make for a certain ghoulish mood. Ready for another vampire romance book series cover. . .

Kind of you to find something positive about it. However the best thing I can say about it is that I got paid and for a while I was dating the model.  ;D

Quote from: North Star on February 05, 2016, 08:49:16 AM

Perhaps a little tight at the top. I prefer the previous shot. But this one is still worth looking at - it draws my eye between the background and foreground and back again.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 05, 2016, 11:05:12 AM
Kind of you to find something positive about it. However the best thing I can say about it is that I got paid and for a while I was dating the model.  ;D
Well that's certainly positive enough.  8)
Perhaps a little tight at the top. But this one is still worth looking at - it draws my eye between the background and foreground and back again.
Yes, a couple of percents more space at the top wouldn't hurt. (all the cropping here is from the bottom of the frame)
QuoteI prefer the previous shot.
Me too, by far.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2016, 05:32:44 AM

Yeah, nice shot. Care to share some insight into the decision(s) you made about the composition?

And I was waiting for the second take on this subject, which I would invariably prefer over the first.  ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

QuoteAnd I was waiting for the second take on this subject, which I would invariably prefer over the first.  ;D
Hah! Just a single snap of parents' window. I'm sorry but there's nothing better to offer on that subject for now.

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 06:39:19 AM
Yeah, nice shot. Care to share some insight into the decision(s) you made about the composition?
Lets see. It was a Saturday after having had a flu for a week, and just as I got to the pond, all the gods of every religion started crying. But anyway, that's not what you asked...
I wanted to have the lighter area in the foreground (the pond reflecting the sky) and in the background (the grass on the shore just above the frame) contrasting with the darker reflection of the woods further back. And obviously I wanted to have the groups of waterlilies in the foreground and the background, as well, as the one on middle right. I don't think this qualifies as insight. Sorry.  0:)

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2016, 07:29:12 AM
Hah! Just a single snap of parents' window. I'm sorry but there's nothing better to offer on that subject for now.

Lets see. It was a Saturday after having had a flu for a week, and just as I got to the pond, all the gods of every religion started crying. But anyway, that's not what you asked...
I wanted to have the lighter area in the foreground (the pond reflecting the sky) and in the background (the grass on the shore just above the frame) contrasting with the darker reflection of the woods further back. And obviously I wanted to have the groups of waterlilies in the foreground and the background, as well, as the one on middle right. I don't think this qualifies as insight. Sorry.  0:)

No, that's some nice insight into what you were thinking and wanting. Thank you.

An aside: flu? Get yer act together - I haven't had a flu for years and I'm 109 years old.  :D

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 08:03:00 AM
No, that's some nice insight into what you were thinking and wanting. Thank you.
Good.

QuoteAn aside: flu? Get yer act together - I haven't had a flu for years and I'm 109 years old.  :D
Well you clearly have had a few more decades to build up an army to fight those things. I'm still training my Memory T cells.  $:)

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Here's a scan of a film print.

Uncomfortable viewing. This is my grandmother. She was 99 years old when this was taken and in the end stage of Alzheimer's disease.There's advice - usually proffered to street photographers - about 'getting close'.
Anyway, unless it's for commercial work the people in my photos often look from left to right. And they usually have a lot of look space in front of them. But not here, because she has no future to look forward to.
The crop is due to a light leak, nothing more. Shot with an old Nippon Kogaku 50mm mounted on my username.

And on a lighter note...
I've posted this before and I'm doing so again because she's great.  ;D

150mm on a H4D. Gridded beauty dish - I like to grid everything and would probably grid a grid if possible  ;D - and a medium grey paper with about one and a half stops difference (she's about 6 feet/2 metres away) to get a white background without degradation around the subject.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 10, 2016, 01:33:22 AM
Here's a scan of a film print.

Uncomfortable viewing. This is my grandmother. She was 99 years old when this was taken and in the end stage of Alzheimer's disease.There's advice - usually proffered to street photographers - about 'getting close'.
Anyway, unless it's for commercial work the people in my photos often look from left to right. And they usually have a lot of look space in front of them. But not here, because she has no future to look forward to.
You explained that to your grandma, I'm sure..
That white reflection in her right eye makes the shot.

You need to take more photos of Toots.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

You probably heard about the Taiwan earthquake a few days ago.  This is a few blocks from my house...
after the quake==Tainan, Taiwan, 10 blocks from my House by Al Walzem, on Flickr
It's all good...

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2016, 04:06:44 AM

You need to take more photos of Toots.  8)

Will phone/tablet photo be okay? I mean, I'm shooting it free of charge...   ???  ;D I'll see which has the least wide lens.

edit: "I'm not putting eyelashes on."  :laugh:

North Star

^^Good to know you're alright, Al.

Quote from: NikF on February 10, 2016, 05:13:27 AM
Will phone/tablet photo be okay? I mean, I'm shooting it free of charge...   ???  ;D I'll see which has the least wide lens.

edit: "I'm not putting eyelashes on."  :laugh:
Nah, that airport shot was enough of that sort of thing.  >:D

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Free of charge photo edited via free of charge Photoshop Express app.  ;D

Compromise between distance/focal length and it isn't doing her favours. Also, she's a shoot next week and has been reducing the carbs and salt, which acts to slim her down.

edit: too late.  ;D

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 10, 2016, 05:32:40 AM
Free of charge photo edited via free of charge Photoshop Express app.  ;D

Compromise between distance/focal length and it isn't doing her favours. Also, she's a shoot next week and has been reducing the carbs and salt, which acts to slim her down.

edit: too late.  ;D

Nice.

I'd show that severed finger to a surgeon before the shoot next week. ;)

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2016, 05:42:21 AM
Nice.

I'd show that severed finger to a surgeon before the shoot next week. ;)

We took only one shot. And as mentioned, both she and I (and the app!) did it free of charge. So why don't you have the severed finger free of f***ing charge too?   ;)   :D

edit: ah, so there's no swear filter!