The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: aligreto on September 02, 2016, 01:12:56 PM
Nice shot!

Thanks!  The path of a tornado that struck College Park, Maryland, USA. Taken 12 years after.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 01:14:55 PM
Thanks!  The path of a tornado that struck College Park, Maryland, USA. Taken 12 years after.

I was just about to comment...that's it's a scene of destruction. I was going to ask if it was the aftermath of a hurricane. In any case, a powerful shot.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 01:01:56 PM
I figure I should put up something.

No Tri-X here, iPhone 5S.

Yeah, nice shot.
A camera in a portable phone. Who would have thought that? What a world.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on September 02, 2016, 01:12:14 PM
But you are happy, right?  ;)  :)

I'm getting there, I'm definitely getting there.

Btw, I still remember that shot of yours of the hill that had a guy at bottom left almost out the frame. And if I'm wrong for the second time tonight and that's not one of yours, I apologise. ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 12:56:24 PM
I'm not going to edit my post. ;D

Too many witnesses?  ;)

Seriously, I appreciate your kind comments especially since the model herself is indifferent to what we created. Women are a strange breed...

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 01:22:12 PM

Btw, I still remember that shot of yours of the hill that had a guy at bottom left almost out the frame. And if I'm wrong for the second time tonight and that's not one of yours, I apologise. ;D
I remember the shot, too. Some details are fuzzy, though. :D

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 01:06:02 PMDon't worry about it. I mean, I'm sure you're not worrying. But don't worry anyway. ;D

Here's my "there are no clouds" story -
Back when I was a teenager we occasionally used to rent the studio darkroom out. Although the large format landscape dudes all had their own darkrooms, they liked our place. Anyway, I was looking at one guy who had made a beautiful exposure. It was a landscape and you could already see it was good work. But the sky was almost cloudless and blown out to hell. So he wanders off and comes back with some A4 prints of different landscapes...which all had the same wonderful sky.  :o That's when I discovered that they all had a selection of stock sky exposures and dropped them in as required. ;D
I'm not.

Hah! I can imagine how they will look when examined together :D

Anyway, looks like the thread is alive again. And 100 pages, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 02, 2016, 01:27:44 PM
Too many witnesses?  ;)

Seriously, I appreciate your kind comments especially since the model herself is indifferent to what we created. Women are a strange breed...

Sarge

Nah, I just don't mind being wrong ;D

And youre welcome. Even if she's indifferent she appears up for the shot.

NikF

Quote from: North Star on September 02, 2016, 01:32:38 PM

I'm not.

Anyway, looks like the thread is alive again. And 100 pages, too.

Good.

Yeah, maybe the break it had will do you and the thread some good.

NikF

A quick and dirty scan.
Natural blonde, exactly six feet tall in her bare feet, 20 years old and she was rejected by a bunch of agencies. Shot on either Adox or Efke with an old 6×9 folder that had a 6×4.5 mask. But it also had damaged struts - manifest in the bottom of the frame.

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 01:22:12 PM

I cannot, in good faith sir, accept your praise as I have absolutely no memory of that one. You may indeed be correct though as I took a few that would fit that description. But if you guys remember it I hope that I did take it  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 03:04:03 PM

A quick and dirty scan.
Natural blonde, exactly six feet tall in her bare feet, 20 years old and she was rejected by a bunch of agencies. Shot on either Adox or Efke with an old 6×9 folder that had a 6×4.5 mask. But it also had damaged struts - manifest in the bottom of the frame.

Image gone before we could see it  :(

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on September 03, 2016, 01:14:50 AM
I cannot, in good faith sir, accept your praise as I have absolutely no memory of that one. You may indeed be correct though as I took a few that would fit that description. But if you guys remember it I hope that I did take it  ;D
You won't get away with it so easily :P

Quote from: aligreto on May 02, 2015, 12:12:22 AM
To crop or not to crop?

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on September 03, 2016, 01:23:48 AM
Clearly it's referring back to Man Ray's Le Violon d'Ingres

Mrs. Rock after Man Ray

http://photos.imageevent.com/sgtrock/photography/MrsRockAfterRay.jpg

"Photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture" —Helmut Newton

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 03, 2016, 02:07:11 AM
Mrs. Rock after Man Ray

Sarge

She's cookin' and she cooks.  8)

Nice one, Sarge.

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on September 03, 2016, 01:20:50 AM

OK, guilty; that was me.  ::)
I have always liked that shot because it was one that I anticipated. I was driving along and saw the hill and only spotted the guys heading for the hill at the last minute. I parked the car and walked back with just enough time to grab the shot.

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on September 02, 2016, 12:33:21 PM
I haven't had much time or energy to put into it, and when I go on a stroll in some very familiar place and the weather is awful (at worst, not a drop of rain or even a cloud at sight ;) ), it doesn't help. I'm sure inspiration will flow, come fall and winter, though.

When I was very active in photography as a hobby and the "inspiration" dried up I would pick a subject, a theme or a concept and see what I could do with it e.g. movement, old and new, texture. That can force one to look at the familiar in new and different ways.

NikF

Quote from: North Star on September 03, 2016, 01:20:50 AM

Yeah, nothing gets by North Star when he's on the beat. ;D

But that's a good shot indeed.

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 03, 2016, 02:07:11 AM
Mrs. Rock after Man Ray

Sarge
Very nice indeed, Sarge. But... I'm not at all certain I've moved furniture more than once or twice in order to take a photograph.  0:)

Quote from: aligreto on September 03, 2016, 03:41:07 AM
I have always liked that shot because it was one that I anticipated. I was driving along and saw the hill and only spotted the guys heading for the hill at the last minute. I parked the car and walked back with just enough time to grab the shot.
Well that isn't that much of anticipation.
Quote from: aligreto on September 03, 2016, 03:43:06 AM
When I was very active in photography as a hobby and the “inspiration” dried up I would pick a subject, a theme or a concept and see what I could do with it e.g. movement, old and new, texture. That can force one to look at the familiar in new and different ways.
Yes, that's a good approach. Inspiration has to find you working, and all that.

Quote from: NikF on September 03, 2016, 03:47:53 AM
Yeah, nothing gets by North Star when he's on the beat. ;D

But that's a good shot indeed.
Ha! And yes it is.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on September 03, 2016, 04:00:02 AM
Very nice indeed, Sarge. But... I'm not at all certain I've moved furniture more than once or twice in order to take a photograph.  0:)

;D :D ;D ...yeah, mountains and lakes and forests tend to resist being moved.

It depends on the type of photography. I was perusing Mike Dowson's blog (An Ugly Beauty) when I came across that Newton quote. Dowson does environmental fashion, portrait and glamour so I understand the quote's relevance to him...and to my own kind of shoots, which, when I was actively pursuing it, rarely took place in a studio but rather in small apartments and rooms which often had to be "rearranged" to clear obstacles and free up space between the model and me. Good exercise  8)

Sarge

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on September 03, 2016, 04:00:02 AM

Well that isn't that much of anticipation.

It is if you knew the geography, the direction the guys were walking in and the speed at which I was driving ar the time.