The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on September 03, 2016, 10:20:01 AM
It is if you knew the geography, the direction the guys were walking in and the speed at which I was driving ar the time.
Ah, alright. I got a different impression from earlier, that's all.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 03, 2016, 09:46:58 AM
;D :D ;D ...yeah, mountains and lakes and forests tend to resist being moved.

It depends on the type of photography. I was perusing Mike Dowson's blog (An Ugly Beauty) when I came across that Newton quote. Dowson does environmental fashion, portrait and glamour so I understand the quote's relevance to him...and to my own kind of shoots, which, when I was actively pursuing it, rarely took place in a studio but rather in small apartments and rooms which often had to be "rearranged" to clear obstacles and free up space between the model and me. Good exercise  8)

Sarge
Absolutely. Indoors people photography will certainly have use for furniture moving. Macro still-lifes, or outdoors photography not so much :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 02, 2016, 01:21:05 PM
I was just about to comment...that's it's a scene of destruction. I was going to ask if it was the aftermath of a hurricane. In any case, a powerful shot.

Sarge

Here's one dedicated to you Sarge, another scene of destruction.

My father was in the U.S. Army, drafted into the 71st infantry, New York National Guard. He was stationed in Bremerhaven, Germany in 1950 and 1951. Like you developed an interest in photography.

Here is a photo he took using a Rolleiflex TLR 120 film camera. It shows the Brandenburg gate, before the construction of the Berlin Wall.

And the accommodations for the army of occupation in Bremerhaven.

aligreto

Quote from: Scarpia on September 03, 2016, 08:10:57 PM

My father was in the U.S. Army, drafted into the 71st infantry, New York National Guard. He was stationed in Bremerhaven, Germany in 1950 and 1951. Like you developed an interest in photography.

Here is a photo he took using a Rolleiflex TLR 120 film camera. It shows the Brandenburg gate, before the construction of the Berlin Wall.

Great shots to have and I am sure part of a wonderful collection enhanced by the fact that your father took them.

Spineur

Excellent photos and great testimony.  One of the purpose of photography.  Thank you for sharing.

Sergeant Rock

Here's one dedicated to you Sarge

Thanks, really interesting photos (the uniforms, the state of Berlin at the time, the "luxury" housing for the troops in Bremerhaven).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 04, 2016, 07:54:12 AM
Thanks, really interesting photos (the uniforms, the state of Berlin at the time, the "luxury" housing for the troops in Bremerhaven).

Sarge

If he were still around my father would have been surprised that his photos had found an audience on the internet.

I'll take the liberty of posting a few more which I think are of general historical interest.

The first three were taken in Berlin in 1951. In the last photo, taken in Bremerhaven, the man on the stage in the tan coat is Dwight Eisenhower, who visited the unit and give a speech. (There aren't many people in US military history that got to stand in front of a flag with five stars.)

aligreto

Parsifal

aligreto

Quote from: Scarpia on September 07, 2016, 07:47:19 PM
I'm glad you find them worthwhile.

Quite worthwhile and you can see the testaments of the other posters. Please do not hesitate to post more if you are so inclined  :)

North Star

Quote from: Scarpia on September 07, 2016, 02:29:18 PM
If he were still around my father would have been surprised that his photos had found an audience on the internet.

I'll take the liberty of posting a few more which I think are of general historical interest.

The first three were taken in Berlin in 1951. In the last photo, taken in Bremerhaven, the man on the stage in the tan coat is Dwight Eisenhower, who visited the unit and give a speech. (There aren't many people in US military history that got to stand in front of a flag with five stars.)
These are really good photos, and the historical context certainly adds interest to them.

Quote from: aligreto on September 08, 2016, 08:09:58 AM
Please do not hesitate to post more if you are so inclined  :)
+1. And this type of work really benefits from being presented together.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on September 07, 2016, 02:29:18 PM

Once again I thank you for these. Really interesting. Your father may have been visiting the Soviet zone. Those are, I think, Soviet officers in the first photo (although I'm surprised the one on the right wasn't sent to Siberia for sporting a Hitler 'stache  ;D ) and a Soviet enlisted man guarding the war memorial.

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 08, 2016, 08:47:23 AM
Once again I thank you for these. Really interesting. Your father may have been visiting the Soviet zone. Those are, I think, Soviet officers in the first photo (although I'm surprised the one on the right wasn't sent to Siberia for sporting a Hitler 'stache  ;D ) and a Soviet enlisted man guarding the war memorial.

That is correct, he visited the Soviet sector. I even have his orders to travel to Berlin from November 16 to November 29, 1951. The document is basically identical to this one, which I found on the internet.

The back of the first photo described the subject as "A Russian General." I'm also curious about the man in the much darker uniform seen in the background.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on September 08, 2016, 11:50:38 AM
The back of the first photo described the subject as "A Russian General." I'm also curious about the man in the much darker uniform seen in the background.

Yes, I'm curious too about the soldier in black with the unusual headgear. I cannot identify the nationality. Maybe some type of Soviet special unit?

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 08, 2016, 12:12:56 PM
Yes, I'm curious too about the soldier in black with the unusual headgear. I cannot identify the nationality. Maybe some type of Soviet special unit?

Sarge

After a cursory google search, has some resemblance to Russian naval uniform, including dark color, epaulets, the belt and the hat.

The problem with that theory is I'm not sure what a Naval officer would be doing in Berlin, except maybe on leave.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on September 08, 2016, 01:06:16 PM
After a cursory google search, has some resemblance to Russian naval uniform, including dark color, epaulets, the belt and the hat.

You might have solved the mystery. Excellent google skills  8)

Sarge

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 08, 2016, 01:12:54 PM
You might have solved the mystery. Excellent google skills  8)

Sarge

mine suck

Could you please Post that pic in this Thread? ;D

Parsifal

Quote from: snyprrr on September 09, 2016, 05:10:46 PM
mine suck

Could you please Post that pic in this Thread? ;D

Don't poison this thread.

North Star

Something from a couple of weeks back

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on September 10, 2016, 03:13:02 AM
Something from a couple of weeks back

Great example of minimalist photography. I like it.

Sarge

snyprrr

Y'know, I'd love to see some more of that "hyper def" art like that extraordinarily brilliant photo with the fugees and the lifevests.