Steven Mackey (b. 1956)

Started by EigenUser, April 04, 2014, 01:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

I first discovered Mackey at a Borromeo String Quartet performance of his SQ "Ars Moriendi: Nine Tableaux on the Art of Dying Well". This was the first really "avant-garde" work I think that I've ever heard and it had a huge impact on me, both emotionally and musically (and this was at a time when my favorite composer was Felix Mendelssohn). Unfortunately, I haven't found too many other things of his that I like, but I figured that I'd start a thread anyway.

Also, alliterative thread title suggestions?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on April 04, 2014, 01:41:58 AM
The Mackey Stew      /     Even Steven deserves a thread     /     The Mackey Lock
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on April 04, 2014, 01:41:58 AM
I first discovered Mackey at a Borromeo String Quartet performance of his SQ "Ars Moriendi: Nine Tableaux on the Art of Dying Well". This was the first really "avant-garde" work I think that I've ever heard and it had a huge impact on me, both emotionally and musically (and this was at a time when my favorite composer was Felix Mendelssohn). Unfortunately, I haven't found too many other things of his that I like, but I figured that I'd start a thread anyway.

Mackey's Malarkey is elegant but you might find it too dismissive.
Mackey's Makings

snyprrr

Isn't her the electric guitar oriented Composer? I've been curious about the evolution of the electric guitar in Composer Music- there still isn't much at all out there that's even remotely impressive to me- and let's be frank, shall we- we all know who's famous for guitar and who isn't. I would be more than happy to start the debate...

Still, I know he's written SQs, and he records with the local Bridge label,... he must have something to say... I'm sure I have an old Bridge cd around here somewhere... shuffle... squeak, shuffle,... I'll get back to ya...