20th century string quartets, pt. II

Started by North Star, April 06, 2014, 12:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: EigenUser on May 13, 2014, 04:44:08 AM
No one mentioned Kagel. The first two are, frankly, horrible. I understand that they are "performance art", but why bother recording them then?

I love these works, especially the first two.

EigenUser

Quote from: sanantonio on May 13, 2014, 04:51:13 AM
I love these works, especially the first two.
Really? Why?

I'm not at all trying to be inflammatory, by the way. I am honestly curious. I can imagine wanting to going to see it performed (I would want to simply because it is interesting and probably amusing), but I found the first two to be un-listenable.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

San Antone

Jaakko Keskinen

I want to include composers who composed more than four, you can ignore those composers if you please. Voces intimae by Sibelius, string quartet by Ravel, Faure's quartet, Shostakovich's no. 4 and 12, Schoenberg's string quartet no 1, Stravinsky's three pieces for string quartet and Saint-saëns string quartet no. 2 op. 153, I think.

Umm, isn't debussy's quartet that some of you mentioned from 1893? Or is it enough if the composer is 20th century composer even if the work in question is from 19th century? Or is it some work for string quartet I am not familiar with? I personally love op.10!

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

North Star

Quote from: Alberich on May 20, 2014, 07:01:27 AM
I want to include composers who composed more than four, you can ignore those composers if you please. Voces intimae by Sibelius, string quartet by Ravel, Faure's quartet, Shostakovich's no. 4 and 12, Schoenberg's string quartet no 1, Stravinsky's three pieces for string quartet and Saint-saëns string quartet no. 2 op. 153, I think.

Umm, isn't debussy's quartet that some of you mentioned from 1893? Or is it enough if the composer is 20th century composer even if the work in question is from 19th century? Or is it some work for string quartet I am not familiar with? I personally love op.10!
Debussy is squarely a 19th C. work, yes.
There is the other 20th century string quartets thread for those who wrote several. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo