How satisfied are you with those big box purchases?

Started by DavidW, April 14, 2014, 06:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: André on May 24, 2014, 02:07:38 PM
THE Big Box I'm interested in, praying it will be at a reasonable cost when finally issued later this year 0:) is the C.P.E. Bach complete keyboard works on BIS. Gimme, gimme, gimme all that Bach !!

With BIS one will probably need a loan from the bank...     :'( :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: André on May 24, 2014, 02:07:38 PM
THE Big Box I'm interested in, praying it will be at a reasonable cost when finally issued later this year 0:) is the C.P.E. Bach complete keyboard works on BIS. Gimme, gimme, gimme all that Bach !!
Concertos? THAT I want.

North Star

BIS isn't a fan of big boxes in general, so it probably won't happen.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on May 25, 2014, 02:48:06 AM

Aren't BIS putting out the Suzuki/Bach cantatas or is that a different label? Perhaps a Suzuki set won't reach Europe/US..???   ??? ??? ???
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on May 25, 2014, 02:51:11 AM
Aren't BIS putting out the Suzuki/Bach cantatas or is that a different label? Perhaps a Suzuki set won't reach Europe/US..???   ??? ??? ???
Well yes, but there might be more demand for those.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bigshot

Just wait for BIS to license it to Amazon for those $2.99 MP3 big boxes. That's how I got a lot of my BIS stuff.

bigshot

As I go through the Karajan 60s box ripping it, I'm amazed by the album covers. I had a bunch of these records. But there are a lot I didn't own, but still remember clearly. When I'd go to the record store, I'd flip through the bins saying to myself "If I had a million dollars..." Today, it doesn't take a million dollars!

André

Quote from: North Star on May 25, 2014, 02:48:06 AM

BIS wrote me that it would be completed in 2014 and a BIG BOX was an option. I guess they are betting their wages on the feasability of such a mammoth undertaking. After all, reputation-wise, C.P.E ain't J.S  :(

bigshot

André

You're right ! But after having collected about 1/3 of the BIS discs, I root for their distinctive approach. So hopefully a compleat CPE from BIS will be available one day. In the meantime, I have declared an embargo on all CPE keyboard discs around.

marvinbrown

Dear all. Which of these is the MOST satisfying:

[asin]B00DUPU6BU[/asin] or

[asin]B00AFOS7Z6[/asin] or

[asin]B000NDEMAI[/asin]

Thank you

marvin

bigshot

I have orange and green. Pretty much a toss up. They are both good, but orange has more stuff on it.

marvinbrown

Quote from: bigshot on May 25, 2014, 11:34:58 PM
I have orange and green. Pretty much a toss up. They are both good, but orange has more stuff on it.

Thank you bigshot for responding.  Seeing how this is a toss up  am I  better off with the orange (Brilliant) as it is complete?

marvin

Moonfish

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 26, 2014, 01:24:23 AM
  Thank you bigshot for responding.  Seeing how this is a toss up  am I  better off with the orange (Brilliant) as it is complete?

marvin

Marvin,
You may also want to consider the EMI set if you are going for a chunky Beethoven set...

[asin] B000J0ZPH4[/asin]
Anna Lappé

prémont

Quote from: Moonfish on May 26, 2014, 01:40:46 AM
Marvin,
You may also want to consider the EMI set if you are going for a chunky Beethoven set...

[asin] B000J0ZPH4[/asin]

Seconded.

All the boxes contain some fine performances and some less fine, but I think the EMI box offers most value for money.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

André

Seconded +1 (does that make it tripled ?). The EMI has remarkable versions of the piano sonatas and the string quartets, unexcelled IMHO, plus excellent ones of the concertos, string trios and Masses.

Ken B

Quote from: André on May 26, 2014, 07:25:17 AM
Seconded +1 (does that make it tripled ?). The EMI has remarkable versions of the piano sonatas and the string quartets, unexcelled IMHO, plus excellent ones of the concertos, string trios and Masses.

Depends on your sound quality requirements. Green win that. I agree otherwise the EMI box is most appealling.
But all are very good.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Moonfish on May 26, 2014, 01:40:46 AM
Marvin,

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 26, 2014, 04:25:58 AM
Seconded.

All the boxes contain some fine performances and some less fine, but I think the EMI box offers most value for money.
[asin] B000J0ZPH4[/asin]
Quote from: André on May 26, 2014, 07:25:17 AM
Quote from: Ken B on May 26, 2014, 07:33:27 AM
Depends on your sound quality requirements. Green win that. I agree otherwise the EMI box is most appealling.
But all are very good.

Alright! Alright! with such unanimous praise what can I do but order it! Thank you all!

marvin

Ken B

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 26, 2014, 08:02:04 AM
[asin] B000J0ZPH4[/asin]

Alright! Alright! with such unanimous praise what can I do but order it! Thank you all!

marvin
I think BRO has it for $50

André

BRO charges a handling fee per disc, so that may negate the price advantage somewhat...

Here's what I purchased http://www.amazon.com/Luciano-Pavarotti-First-Decade-ltd/dp/B00G5WUIP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1401134174&sr=1-1&keywords=pavarotti+edition 

Th contents are most interesting: all the operas he recorded early in his career on Decca (his most satisfying work IMO)