Major-Label Avant-Garde Classics: EMI Virgin EMI Virgin EMI

Started by snyprrr, April 14, 2014, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I'm going to try this Thread out to see if it works. After we've exhausted conversation concerning one label, we can Retitle every day, week, or month. So, hopefully we'll rediscover some gems here?

On Sony, we've had Stravinsky and Varese,... who can forget the Lutoslawski, Ligeti, and Schnittke?,... I like that Slava disc of Schnittke's 2nd CC,... then there's that disc of Henze's 'Reqiuem', very unique,... and don't forget the odd-duck Penderecki 'Gala' disc, lolz!

There are lots of one-offs, such as the single disc devoted to Berio 'concertos' conducted by Boulez,.. I mean, I didn't mean this to be a Boulez Thread, but, of course, he is responsible for some of their output. So, maybe, what are some of your non-Boulez favourites?

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

North Star

Salonen recorded Turangalîla & Des Canyons Aux Etoiles on Sony.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

kishnevi

Quote from: EigenUser on April 14, 2014, 02:06:51 PM
Ugh. That thing.

It awaits me in The Pile.

Tangential source of amusement:  went to check to see which label was responsible for the Percussions de Strasbourg.  Took me a couple of minutes to make sure who it was, since  apparently they did their best to hide the label's name on the box.  (It's a UMG production,  with Erato and Universal's French jazz label being the prominent copyright holders.  But you have to look for the recording data on each CD to find that out,  plus a small logo on the back of the box in a group of logos not necessarily familiar to English language audiences.)

EigenUser

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 14, 2014, 03:01:45 PM
It awaits me in The Pile.
I have disc 3 (the piano works) which is great because I love most of the etudes and most of the "Musica Ricercata". I am generally unhappy with that series because I would have really liked to see some orchestral works of his.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

kishnevi

Quote from: EigenUser on April 14, 2014, 07:06:40 PM
I have disc 3 (the piano works) which is great because I love most of the etudes and most of the "Musica Ricercata". I am generally unhappy with that series because I would have really liked to see some orchestral works of his.
Those  are in the Warner box.  Have both and you have almost all of Ligeti.

ritter

This classic performance has just recently been made available on CD:

[asin]B00F8ONW5S[/asin]
Even if the last movement of the Sinfonia is missing (it hadn't been composed when this recording was made--a couple of days after the world premiere), this is simply fantastic!

This CD was my introduction to Kaija Saariaho's work:

[asin]B00005NNNX[/asin]
I think Château de l'âme is rather beautiful song-cycle (and Dawn Upshaw is simply ravishing in it  :) ).

And last but not least, these two fascinating Nono / Abbado albums:

[asin]B0000028YX[/asin]
[asin]B00000296U[/asin]

ritter

Two more (both long OOP, and the Stockhausen--which was strongly recommended to me by a connoisseur--only available at outrageous prices  >:( ):

[asin]B000025H05[/asin]

EigenUser

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 14, 2014, 07:17:29 PM
Those  are in the Warner box.  Have both and you have almost all of Ligeti.
I know. I have the Warner Teldec box. I still wish that there were more recordings of his orchestral works. Normally I don't care about having more than one or two recordings of a piece, but Ligeti's music can be so complicated that it helps to hear different interpretations.

petrarch

Quote from: ritter on April 15, 2014, 12:53:08 AM
Two more (both long OOP, and the Stockhausen--which was strongly recommended to me by a connoisseur--only available at outrageous prices  >:( ):
[asin]B000025H05[/asin]

That Stockhausen is simply fantastic! A prized item in my collection since it was released, even if the "bonus" tracks (the Mikrophonien) can be found in an SV release.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

ritter

Quote from: petrarch on April 15, 2014, 04:37:14 PM
That Stockhausen is simply fantastic! A prized item in my collection since it was released, even if the "bonus" tracks (the Mikrophonien) can be found in an SV release.
Yep, I read nothing but praise for this album...contrary to what I wrote earlier, new copies are available at decent prices on both sides of the Atlantic...I'm quite tempted!

In my collection, I have the SV album of the Klavierstücke I through XIV with Ellen Corver:

Even if the last Klavierstücke are missing from the Kontarsky album, I must admit that the later pieces are a bit too bizarre for my taste (with the keyboard player having to grunt, count, etc.  ::) -- and some thing of a model rocket having to be thrown from the piano  :D).  Nrs. XV, XVII and XVIII are available in other SV CDs, while AFAIK Nr. XVI still awaits its world premiere...

ritter

And to come back on-topic...

Apart from the Berio Sinfonia mentioned above, ArkivMusic is resissuing several 20th century albums of the Columbia / RCA / Sony catalogue that had never been transferred to CD:

and "ze" jewel in "ze" crown  ;) :

petrarch

Quote from: ritter on April 16, 2014, 01:17:31 AM
Even if the last Klavierstücke are missing from the Kontarsky album,

Yep, they didn't exist when the album was recorded.

I must admit that the later pieces are a bit too bizarre for my taste (with the keyboard player having to grunt, count, etc.  ::) -- and some thing of a model rocket having to be thrown from the piano  :D).

That's Licht for you. I don't care much for it even though there are a few works there that I enjoy--and I have most of it already anyway.

Nrs. XV, XVII and XVIII are available in other SV CDs, while AFAIK Nr. XVI still awaits its world premiere...

XVI was released in SV57.

I'm only missing XII-XIV (I've thought of getting the Corver CD just to fill the gaps, though I have them recorded) and XIX.

I must say that Natürliche Dauern has satisfied me much more thoroughly (as far as Stockhausen on the piano goes) than the Licht Klavierstücke ever could :).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

ritter

petrarch, in order not to derail this thread any more off-topic, I've replied to you here: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3533.msg792433.html#new.

Regards,

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on April 14, 2014, 12:40:43 PM
Salonen recorded Turangalîla & Des Canyons Aux Etoiles on Sony.

Oh yes, I forgot about that rare Kurtag,... and the Stockhausen,... yes, one must get these things before they suddenly become hundreds of $$$ overnight!

Salonen's the man, that's for sure.

Quote from: ritter on April 14, 2014, 11:50:27 PM
This classic performance has just recently been made available on CD:

[asin]B00F8ONW5S[/asin]
Even if the last movement of the Sinfonia is missing (it hadn't been composed when this recording was made--a couple of days after the world premiere), this is simply fantastic!

This CD was my introduction to Kaija Saariaho's work:

[asin]B00005NNNX[/asin]
I think Château de l'âme is rather beautiful song-cycle (and Dawn Upshaw is simply ravishing in it  :) ).

And last but not least, these two fascinating Nono / Abbado albums:

[asin]B0000028YX[/asin]
[asin]B00000296U[/asin]

Ah, the Nono, mm, yea, shouldn't have skipped those...mm...

Well, but, is that it for SONY? It's like, with them, every release was of such importance, that we all know every disc, haha. I mean, it's like we haaave to include the Skempton disc, just because there are so few? Shall we move on?

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on April 16, 2014, 09:12:20 PMWell, but, is that it for SONY? It's like, with them, every release was of such importance, that we all know every disc, haha. I mean, it's like we haaave to include the Skempton disc, just because there are so few? Shall we move on?
Perhaps it could be time - we would get to start on a new page too, with the post after this one. I suppose people could still post ones they remember after the discussion has officially moved on?

[asin]B0000026GP[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Quote from: James on April 17, 2014, 02:13:26 PM
Elliott Carter
Juilliard String Quartet
This title will be released on April 29, 2014.

[asin]B00HLUMXJI[/asin]
Yep...how did we miss that one?  :-[ . It's already available here in Europe, BTW (saw it last week in Berlin).

This was the earlier incarnation (sans the 5th SQ--not yet composed at the time--but avec the Duo for violin and piano).