Major-Label Avant-Garde Classics: EMI Virgin EMI Virgin EMI

Started by snyprrr, April 14, 2014, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: petrarch on April 19, 2014, 01:17:23 PM
Also missing are the two musique concrète Études he composed at the GRM (also available elsewhere)...
Where? I'd really like to get to know these (even if Im not really much of a musique concrète person  ;) ).

The Ravel orchestration can be heard almsot in its entirety (a couple of seconds are missing at the end  :( ) here: http://www.universaledition.com/Frontispice-Pierre-Boulez/composers-and-works/composer/88/work/12922

Regards,

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

ritter

Quote from: petrarch on April 19, 2014, 02:15:39 PM
The Archives GRM box:
http://boutique.ina.fr/cd/musique/electroacoustique/PDTINA000271/archives-grm-album.fr.html
Thanks, petrarch!!!!     :) :)    Fortunately, they not only sell the whole set, but also the individual CDs; so I got volume 1, the one they label "The visitors to musique concrète" (including Boulez, Messaien, Milhaud, Varèse...)..

ritter

DG also has / had some avantgarde stuff with the late Giuseppe Sinopoli

Maderna. I think this was Sinopoli's his first recoding for the yellow label--now reissued by Brilliant.

A fascinating Bussotti compilation. The Rara Requiem is conducted by Taverna, Sinopoli does Lorenzaccio and Bergkristall (now available from ArkivMusic).

And the suite from his own opera Lou Salome.

amw

Love that one. Got it for the Ligeti when it came out, but the Rihm made such a lasting impression that I had to get everything I could put my hands on from that composer.

There is also this, though I prefer the Arditti/Richard version:

The LaSalle Q doing Fragmente-Stille was on DG as well. And if the 20/21 series is the one with the ridiculously ugly covers I have some Xenakis from that one.

snyprrr

Quote from: James on April 19, 2014, 02:05:04 PM
Now you're talkin'   

Off the top of my head .. (the meaningful ones)

STOCKHAUSEN LPS! (the ones I especially love pictured below)

I also got Donnerstag, Samstag, that Suzanne Stephens disc, and Invisible Choirs in DG CD formats.

Pollini - Boulez/Stravinsky/Webern/Prokofiev

Emerson's Bartok

All the Boulez stuff. (his own stuff, and conducting others (i.e. 2nd Vienesse School, Bartok, Stravinsky, Varese, Messiaen, Birtwistle)

Gubaidulina's Offertorium.

Ligeti box. (Clear & Cloudy)

Late Stravinsky .. the Knussen disc.

Messiaen stuff. Organ Works, Bird Catalogue & others ..

Berio .. Sequenzas, Sinfonia, Coro

Carter .. Symphonia

Mutter's Berg.

Pollini/Nono

Dutilleux

That 'Telemusik/Mixtur' cover is sooo yummy. Isn't there another one of his head unravelling? What's that style called?

snyprrr

Quote from: amw on April 19, 2014, 04:19:23 PM
The LaSalle Q doing Fragmente-Stille was on DG as well. And if the 20/21 series is the one with the ridiculously ugly covers I have some Xenakis from that one.

Then there's the Sachnabel/Gielen String Quartets disc, very sweet. The LaSalle are due for a Box, no?

snyprrr

And just for the record- I just couldn't believe when I saw that Pettersson 8th by Commisioana(?) on DG- also in need of reissiue.

snyprrr

Quote from: Cato on April 18, 2014, 06:05:32 PM
Does Supraphon count as a major label?

[asin]B00000JK02[/asin]

Alois Haba's quarter-tone opera!

sorry to yell at you, ha!

From the biz standpoint, Major Label is classically DG, Philips, Decca/London, SONY, RCA/BMG... or something like that, the "Hollywood" labels. the fed. the Man...

Haba 1/4 tone opera, eh? sounds... mm...

Cato

This might make the cut...given the conductor, these works for him were avant-garde!

Or am I being unfair?   :D

[asin]B000031WYL[/asin]

[asin]B00000E3Z6[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ritter

Two hits on the operatic front:

Now reissued by Budapest Music Group

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on April 19, 2014, 04:38:59 PM
And just for the record- I just couldn't believe when I saw that Pettersson 8th by Commisioana(?) on DG- also in need of reissiue.

That one was first released by a Swedish label called Polar. DG then licensed it. So I'm guessing that DG lacks the rights to re-issue it.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

kishnevi

Quote from: ritter on April 19, 2014, 02:46:03 PM

Maderna. I think this was Sinopoli's his first recoding for the yellow label--now reissued by Brilliant.

A fascinating Bussotti compilation. The Rara Requiem is conducted by Taverna, Sinopoli does Lorenzaccio and Bergkristall (now available from ArkivMusic).

The Maderna and Lou Salome recordings are both available as part of "The Art Of Giuseppe Sinopoli" orchestral set, and the companion concerto set includes Manzoni's Masse with Pollini as soloist.  I do not remember if that last is in the Pollini 20th century set, although it should be.  Each set has a bit of Schoenberg as well, although the real focus of both sets is much more mainstream (meaning pre 1910).  And there is also Sinopoli's Second Viennese set.

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on April 20, 2014, 08:58:26 AM
That one was first released by a Swedish label called Polar. DG then licensed it. So I'm guessing that DG lacks the rights to re-issue it.

check

Quote from: Cato on April 20, 2014, 05:08:47 AM
This might make the cut...given the conductor, these works for him were avant-garde!

Or am I being unfair?   :D

[asin]B000031WYL[/asin]

[asin]B00000E3Z6[/asin]

I'd say those are every good boy's first Avant-Garde! Isn't that everyone's favourite Webern? And i only love that old Pollini Schoenberg Piano Concerto. Of course!

snyprrr

Quote from: ritter on April 19, 2014, 02:46:03 PM

Love that Bussotti set! But I need an original copy with the white plastic box! Must. Have. White. Box.

snyprrr

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 20, 2014, 09:24:50 AM
The Maderna and Lou Salome recordings are both available as part of "The Art Of Giuseppe Sinopoli" orchestral set, and the companion concerto set includes Manzoni's Masse with Pollini as soloist.  I do not remember if that last is in the Pollini 20th century set, although it should be.  Each set has a bit of Schoenberg as well, although the real focus of both sets is much more mainstream (meaning pre 1910).  And there is also Sinopoli's Second Viennese set.

That Manzoni disc used to be the Grail/Whale of DG Avant discs. Great catch!

It's funny. I have The Library set up somewhat Chronologically, so, when you get to the 20th Century, you have all these yellow (DG) and red (EMI) spines, with Decca/London... but then, around the 1950 mark, all those spines stop! (not perfectly Chronological, mind you) Then you have the odd yellow or red amoungst all the Import spines.

But the box full of the Masters of High Modernism has lots of DG, SONY, and EMI spines... only because they come FROM the Viennese Tradition. Anyhow,... nevermind! :laugh: 8)

snyprrr

There is an old DG LP of Martinu's Piano Concerto No.5 that hasn't seen light yet.

snyprrr

Love that one. Got it for the Ligeti when it came out, but the Rihm made such a lasting impression that I had to get everything I could put my hands on from that composer.

Were you a bit disappointed by Abbado's 'Tarkovsky' album?

ritter

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 20, 2014, 09:24:50 AM
The Manzoni piece was originally released along with Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony Nr. 1:

Also now avaialable from Arkiv... This was the first recording by Sinopoli I ever purchased, when it first came out in LP  :) ...

The Second Viennese set is Teldec, not DG... ;)

Quote from: snyprrr on April 20, 2014, 10:01:41 AM
Love that Bussotti set! But I need an original copy with the white plastic box! Must. Have. White. Box.
You've got more Bussotti (Rara - eco serologico) on this guitar recital by Leo Broower:

It also includes what I think is the only recording of music by Cristóbal Halffter (Codex) on DG.

snyprrr

I'm waiting on that DG Schoenberg Box! Any day now...