Major-Label Avant-Garde Classics: EMI Virgin EMI Virgin EMI

Started by snyprrr, April 14, 2014, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Well, wow, the DG segment was surely exciting. Do we have a few more jewels or should we move on? Are you all enjoying this?, I sure am!

Who are some other Composers who have a decent shot at a DG Box?

listener

I've got to get the stack of cd's down to be able to reach the LP shelves.    eg
the 2 DGG 5 (or 6) - disc sets like these
with a couple of the single disc covers
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

snyprrr

Quote from: listener on April 21, 2014, 08:11:56 PM
I've got to get the stack of cd's down to be able to reach the LP shelves.    eg
the 2 DGG 5 (or 6) - disc sets like these
with a couple of the single disc covers

Well, it sure says 'Avant Garde' there, doesn't it?, haha!!

I was just looking up Schnittke's rise to fame, and who all of a sudden all the major labels gave him a shot- DG, Decca, RCA,, EMI,... used him up and spit him out, mm mm mm. If there can't destroy your soul they're not a major label!! (maybe they only worked him too hard?)

snyprrr

I'm going to throw a curve ball and move on to RCA.

1) Henze/Brahms Piano Quintets

2) BA Zimmermann

3) Berio

4) Peter Serkin recitals

5) Takemitsu

6) Messiaen

7) early Arditti LP

8)

hmm, I'm going to need a little help here...

listener

STOCKHAUSEN, BOULEZ and MADERNA among others on RCA's Victrola label LPs, pre CD but stereo.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

ritter

Well, I had mixed some Columbia and RCA recordings in previous posts, because now these labels are all part pf the big, happy Sony family... ;)

Here's some more RCA (they clearly had a weakness for Berio  :) ):

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

snyprrr

Quote from: Cato on April 22, 2014, 08:26:35 AM
Roger Sessions: does he count as avant-garde?

It doesn't matter- you get extra points just for posting that great recording!! ;)

Cato

Bartok on RCA:

Varese is surely avant-garde!

And somewhere out there is recording from RCA of the Fourth Symphony composed by Jean Martinon:

snyprrr

Quote from: ritter on April 22, 2014, 07:57:28 AM
Well, I had mixed some Columbia and RCA recordings in previous posts, because now these labels are all part pf the big, happy Sony family... ;)

Here's some more RCA (they clearly had a weakness for Berio  :) ):

Yer pushin' it, haha!, but as long as you keep Posting such marvellous specimens, by all means continue! Ooo... Varese AND Martin!!! ...oooO

Yea, y'know, it's like RCA may have put out some Avant=Garde, but, yea, not very many I find desirable! Maybe the Majors have these Composers on contract!!, and Berio was RCA's b****?? oy!! An interesting point brought up.

I am desperately trying to find a cheap copy of that Henze/Brahms PQ disc.

I'd almost have to say that that Zimmermann disc is the most Avant thing they ever did????? huh???? (maybe that Arditti/Xenakis LP?- or was it the Ligeti/Ferneyhough??). There's one Schnittke 'Homage', I believe. Wow, is that it??

RCA's looking like the prude on the block at this point!

That's why I wanted to do this Thread, just to clear up any issues!! We can settle the recorded world well into the '90s with this Thread (when exactly did the "change" happen in the music biz? I forget...mis '90s?...) Universal?

snyprrr

Quote from: James on April 22, 2014, 02:18:47 PM
[asin]B000003F9B[/asin]
[asin]B0001FFIXS[/asin]

Ah, there we go. Now I remember, Ensemble Modern did record for RCA. I do seem to recall some real one-offs like that from them. Cool! Thanks

snyprrr

Well, since RCA was kind of a bust, let's move on to Decca/London, shall we? I certainly get the two mixed up, but, no matter.

1) the "cheap" series- Henze, Schoenberg (Atherton), Berio,... it's a long list

2) Birtwistle 2cd

3) Turnage 2cd

4) Lutroslawski*** (looove it!)

5)

Hmm, I'm getting hung up. Help!

I really do like those Schoenberg/Atherton recordings, mm mm.

North Star

Chailly's discs of Berio's arrangements, Schnittke (Concerti Grosso 3 & 4), Varèse, Turangalîla, Gurrelieder/Verklärte Nacht/Chamber Symphony No. 1
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

PaulSC

Decca had the whole "Headline" series in the late 70s.

http://www.discogs.com/label/30321-Headline-2

If I had to single one out:

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Cato

not edward

Returning briefly to RCA, I can't believe you guys ignored the Musik in Deutschland 1950-2000 series. Well over 100 discs, including huge amounts of material never issued elsewhere. If only it was easier to find. :P
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: PaulSC on April 23, 2014, 04:01:35 PM
Decca had the whole "Headline" series in the late 70s.

http://www.discogs.com/label/30321-Headline-2

If I had to single one out:

Quote from: Cato on April 23, 2014, 04:50:48 PM
How about this one?

Quote from: edward on April 23, 2014, 05:49:13 PM
Returning briefly to RCA, I can't believe you guys ignored the Musik in Deutschland 1950-2000 series. Well over 100 discs, including huge amounts of material never issued elsewhere. If only it was easier to find. :P

Yes, ha, I left them off t due to annoyance!

Quote from: Cato on April 23, 2014, 04:50:48 PM
How about this one?

Bingo!

That Ferneyhough- woah! Sweet

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on April 23, 2014, 08:23:49 AM
Chailly's discs of Berio's arrangements, Schnittke (Concerti Grosso 3 & 4), Varèse, Turangalîla, Gurrelieder/Verklärte Nacht/Chamber Symphony No. 1

That Schnittke was such a BigDeal when it came out! Oh! Major label!!

Quote from: James on April 23, 2014, 02:09:36 PM
2 other RCAs ..

[asin]B000003ERU[/asin]
Some DECCA/LONDON off the top ..

[asin]B000Z89VS4[/asin]
[asin]B0000042D5[/asin]
[asin]B00008Y4IM[/asin]
[asin]B00000E44C[/asin]
[asin]B001DHUJK0[/asin]
[asin]B00001IVQX[/asin]

MTT/Stravinsky! Yes, one of the best programmed discs!

Tashi cracks me up! :laugh:

Now that I think of it, I have an RCA CD with The Audobon Quartet playing Laderman and someone else, and there's a Tashi disc with Hindemith, and a few other lost gems.

snyprrr

London did some cool stuff but still has a very conservative image like Philips. Still, they belie that image with - oh, Decca Head Xenakis/Howarth!