Author Topic: Nielsen Symphonies  (Read 29823 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
Re: Nielsen Symphonies
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2021, 09:52:41 PM »
Thanks Guys for all of the positive comments - believe that I'll be happy w/ both sets of recordings and glad that BRO restocked the Gilbert ones when I was looking - not always a coincidence -  ;)  :laugh: Dave

Before you leave, I figured I'd offer you this opinion (cross-posted from the "Listening" thread):

Now playing the 5th and Clarinet Concerto from these recordings -

Bernstein was in his element in Nielsen just as much as he was Sibelius. The story about Bernstein showing up in Copenhagen and conducting the Royal Danish Orchestra on their home turf and playing their national musical hero at the time must have been thrilling. For my money, Lenny outclasses everyone in these two symphonies, especially the Danish conductors. Sorry, but not sorry for saying this! :)

P. S. I'm sure this post will get a table-pounding from Cesar. ;)
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2021, 10:17:34 PM »
Before you leave, I figured I'd offer you this opinion (cross-posted from the "Listening" thread):

Now playing the 5th and Clarinet Concerto from these recordings -

Bernstein was in his element in Nielsen just as much as he was Sibelius. The story about Bernstein showing up in Copenhagen and conducting the Royal Danish Orchestra on their home turf and playing their national musical hero at the time must have been thrilling. For my money, Lenny outclasses everyone in these two symphonies, especially the Danish conductors. Sorry, but not sorry for saying this! :)

P. S. I'm sure this post will get a table-pounding from Cesar. ;)

I've heard the Bernstein Nielsen 5th and I agree it's outstanding! I can't say I've heard his 3rd, but I'd like to. Apparently Bernstein also recorded Nielsen 2 and 4 - I have a feeling those are excellent too. I'm thinking you've heard them? If so, what did you think?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2021, 10:25:13 PM »
I've heard the Bernstein Nielsen 5th and I agree it's outstanding! I can't say I've heard his 3rd, but I'd like to. Apparently Bernstein also recorded Nielsen 2 and 4 - I have a feeling those are excellent too. I'm thinking you've heard them? If so, what did you think?

I liked the 2nd and 4th from Bernstein, but in the 2nd Blomstedt's SFSO account on Decca is my personal reference and in the 4th, I cannot think of a better performance than Martinon on RCA. But Lenny's got my vote for the 3rd and 5th. For the 6th, always a fun, quirky work, my vote goes to Oramo on BIS.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."