New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Atriod

Quote from: Mandryka on April 21, 2024, 01:29:04 AM

Looking forward to hearing this, he hasn't made a piano recording in quite a while.

Brahms: Three Intermezzi, op. 117 – Andante moderato
Brahms: Three Intermezzi, op. 117 – Andante non troppo e con molto espressione
Brahms: Three Intermezzi, op. 117 – Andante con moto
Mikhail Pletnev, Alexey Shor: Piano Sonata in A minor - Allegro non troppo
Mikhail Pletnev, Alexey Shor: Piano Sonata in A minor - Adagio mosso
Mikhail Pletnev, Alexey Shor: Piano Sonata in A minor - Moderato
Chopin: Polonaise No. 1 in C sharp minor, Op. 26 No. 1
Chopin: Fantasia in F minor, Op. 49
Chopin: Barcarolle in F sharp major, Op. 60
Chopin: Polonaise Fantaisie in A-flat major, op. 61

Brian

JUNE RELEASES
part I

The Mozart is an arrangement by Ernst Naumann of the Quintet K. 407 for horn, violin, two violas, and cello.

"Guy Braunstein, who was concertmaster of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra for nearly fifteen years, pursues an international career as a soloist, conductor, and composer. His lifelong passion for the music of the Beatles led him to compose this suite for violin and orchestra, which includes all the greatest hits of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison. It is performed here with the Liège Royal Philharmonic under the baton of his longstanding musical partner, the Mexican conductor Alondra de la Parra. This large-scale rhapsody, based on a dozen Beatles songs, pays tribute to a group of musicians who were greatly influenced by Classical and Romantic composers. To accompany this first recording, two English works for violin and orchestra are included: "The Lark Ascending" by Ralph Vaughan Williams and the rarely performed Violin Concerto of Frederick Delius. These works, like so many Beatles hits, were recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London!"

"Arto Koskinen is a Finnish composer, pianist, and harpsichordist who has devoted his musical life to establishing a dialogue between the Asian, European, and Afro-American traditions. In the 1970s, he developed a passion for jazz, then went on to study Indian vocal music at a music and dance school in New Delhi. He also immersed himself in the study of polyphonic techniques from the Baroque era and sought to make them compatible with the melodic principles of oriental music. The result is this 'Indian fugue', composed between 1987 and 2000, whose main sources are North Indian classical music, traditional western polyphony, and Afro-American improvisations. His compatriot Joonas Ahonen, a polymorphous pianist who has already recorded Le Monde selon George Antheil with Patricia Kopatchinskaja (ALPHA797), is a passionate advocate of Koskinen's music."

"Olga Samaroff (1880–1948) and Frank La Forge (1879–1953) were among the earliest pianists to record for the US Victor label, primarily during the acoustic era before 1925. Despite being American, both traveled to Europe for their studies—Samaroff to the Paris Conservatoire and La Forge to Leschetizky in Vienna. Samaroff showcased her virtuosity, notably in her famous recording of Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries'. However, after a fall in 1926, she transitioned to a successful teaching career at the Juilliard School. Her notable pupils included William Kapell, Raymond Lewenthal, and Rosalyn Tureck, among many others. La Forge, on the other hand, leaned towards accompanying and went on to record hundreds of discs for Victor in that role. Although he also recorded as a soloist, his solo discs include some of the earliest attempts to record concerted works."

Brian

JUNE
part II

I had never heard of Bruce Broughton but he is a film and TV soundtrack composer with 10 Emmy Award wins. He did the soundtracks for Tombstone, Homeward Bound, Hawaii Five-O, the original run of Dallas, So I Married an Axe Murderer, and most recently The Orville.

Madiel

I like the idea of the Bridge and Walton cello works together.

The "Czech Songs" album with Kozena and Rattle is curious because Kozena has sung some of the exact same songs in their original piano form (with Graham Johnson as accompanist). I'd bet the orchestral versions of "Songs on One Page" no longer hold true to the title...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Atriod

Looking forward to both Brahms releases. Schoenberg's transcription of the Piano Quintet since I have liked most of what I've heard from Michael Stern. And can you have too many of his String Quintets?

pjme

ritter