The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Box Blather

(1/241) > >>

Ken B:
We have had some discussions on various threads about various boxes. Rather than clutter those threads with side discussions Baklavaboy suggested a thread. So I am starting one. Random discussions  related to boxes that don't really fit on SDCB or other threads. Box blather.

Ken B:
There is only one thing I dislike about the world of boxes. Sometimes I find myself thinking uck or some other negative of a box filled with standard stuff or stuff I already have a lot of. Perlman plays sonatas and concertos at $2 a disc and I think, blah. Perlman plays Beethoven and I think blah!
It's not a good reaction. It's not good when you forget your own life. I talked to a friend recently about something or other. He said it might lead to students having less sex and added " a good thing in my opinion." He has forgotten his own life.
Even boxes I do not want are awesome. I am just lucky enough to have a lot of awesome right now.

Jay F:
I had more fun shopping for individual CDs 30 years ago than these enormoboxes. Of course, I liked actually going to a store and buying something. Now the stores don't exist, and neither do individual CDs for the most part. I'm glad I lived in that period of time.

Dancing Divertimentian:

--- Quote from: Jay F on April 19, 2014, 07:43:46 PM ---I had more fun shopping for individual CDs 30 years ago than these enormoboxes. Of course, I liked actually going to a store and buying something. Now the stores don't exist, and neither do individual CDs for the most part. I'm glad I lived in that period of time.

--- End quote ---

Amen. I miss those days, too. Prices may be lower (way lower) nowadays but that doesn't diminish what I already have.

My main problem with most of these Jumbotron-sized boxes (the ones I'm interested in) is the duplication I'd incur if I were to indulge in them. Not necessarily a doubling of an identical recording but potentially I'd end up with a surplus of certain repertoire which I already own.

25 years ago no one could have guessed things would've turned out this way but if I had waited I might have come out ahead, at least with my bank account. Plus I might've had a more visually striking collection with fancy decorative boxes garnishing every corner of my listening quarters (I'm OCD like that). But I can't say as I feel the least bit disappointed that I can't partake in the Jumbotron box boom. I've already passed the point of needing to fill major holes in my collection so I can kick back and watch the Jumbotron box world turn with no impetus to jump aboard. 

Of course I do take pride in my lone "big" box, though hardly in the Jumbotron league: it's my 24-disc complete Berlioz cube (Philips). Peanuts compared to what else is out there, but it has a Jumbotron-sized heart!

amw:
Someone got my parents a 150CD Complete Bach Edition box as a gift a few years back. As far as I know they still haven't opened it. (Which actually doesn't surprise me, because I think their CD player has been in storage for about a decade.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version