Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Moonfish on October 05, 2019, 10:39:54 PM
So there is still hope....?

Hmm, a Markevitch box.... *dreams*.  I suspect that there will be plenty of smaller boxes floating through here over the next year.

DG issued a 'small' Markevitch box (9 CDs) in 2003 in their Original Masters series. There must be more stuff in their archive that hasn't been reissued.

Jo498

I think virtually everything by Markevitch has been on CD at some stage, but often only briefly or not internationally. It was also among EMI (they had an Icon box, no idea how complete, some of these contents had earlier been on Testament) and the Polygram/Universal labels (DG, Philips, sometimes under the Decca label. The original masters box is very good, one of the best of that series.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Moonfish

Quote from: Jo498 on October 06, 2019, 11:06:16 AM
I think virtually everything by Markevitch has been on CD at some stage, but often only briefly or not internationally. It was also among EMI (they had an Icon box, no idea how complete, some of these contents had earlier been on Testament) and the Polygram/Universal labels (DG, Philips, sometimes under the Decca label. The original masters box is very good, one of the best of that series.

I presume you are referring to this box?
[asin] B010RQBBJA[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Actually, I got this Markevitch collection (Veritas) from HMV.jp a few years ago. Veritas has some interesting boxes for sure....
https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Classical-Collection-Boxed-Set_000000000088040/item_Markevitch-The-Collection-1952-1964-33CD_6650863
The page has the contents as well (as long as you allow Google to translate it)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

They make weird photo choices with Markevitch, eh? First pick looks like comical joker, second pic looks like they wanted him to replace Christopher Lee in a C grade vampire flick...

Anyway, due to Brian's post, I found myself unable to resist getting the Previn box.
   Thanks, Brian >:D >:D >:D
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 16, 2019, 07:14:22 PM
They make weird photo choices with Markevitch, eh? First pick looks like comical joker, second pic looks like they wanted him to replace Christopher Lee in a C grade vampire flick...

Anyway, due to Brian's post, I found myself unable to resist getting the Previn box.
   Thanks, Brian >:D >:D >:D

Hmm, yes, he is a bit "charismatic"!    :P

Brian is evil!!!
Anna Lappé

Muzio

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 16, 2019, 07:14:22 PM

Look at Markevitch's photo, then see Mookalafalas' avatar... ???

Moonfish

Quote from: Muzio on October 18, 2019, 10:06:18 AM

:D :D
Anna Lappé

j winter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mookalafalas

??? ??? ??? :laugh:

Nice spotting, Muzio!

BTW, for big box fans, the big Harnoncourt box is 54 pounds at Amazon.co.uk, before the VAT is removed. I got that for 85 pounds quite a while back and considered it a steal.
It's all good...

listener

I've just become aware of
Mendelsohn's Der Onkel aus Boston  (written at age 14)
it is now available (in a 56 -cd set)   https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/felix-mendelssohn-bartholdy-felix-mendelssohn-bartholdy-edition-2019/hnum/9446214  .     I think I do not need it but . . .
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Florestan

Quote from: listener on October 23, 2019, 06:16:22 PM
I've just become aware of
Mendelsohn's Der Onkel aus Boston  (written at age 14)
it is now available (in a 56 -cd set)   https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/felix-mendelssohn-bartholdy-felix-mendelssohn-bartholdy-edition-2019/hnum/9446214  .     I think I do not need it but . . .

Strange they don't include Die Hochzeit des Camacho as well..
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

staxomega

An interesting Horowitz box that came out recently. The big Carnegie Hall box and Unreleased Recordings set (concert dates before his playing deteriorated too much) have given me quite a bit of listening pleasure so this one is pretty interesting to me. The way Horowitz often has that almost improvisatory way of playing in his prime causes my ears to perk up when listening to his live recordings.

Mookalafalas

It seems like Horowitz is to classical what Hendryx is to rock or Charlie Parker to jazz-- a legend with so many "lost" recordings that no matter now long he has been in his grave, he can continue to steadily release "new" material.

Lately I'm playing a lot from this:
[asin]B07Q8Q6WVN[/asin]

Everyone loves his Scarlatti (well, except for one person here at GMG ::)), and yet people hardly ever mentions his other releases--so I had sort of assumed he was a one-trick pony.  Recently got this Bach set and am more than happy. Not precious, tinkly harpsichord. Reminds me of an old SNL skit suggesting that Mozart was an early rock&roller, and would "put his ear up against the frets and play his harspichord as hard as he could" and his mother would come in and yell at him.  Ross plays some very virile Bach.  Perhaps might scare some ;D really loving it, myself.
It's all good...

Papy Oli

The complete Bach boxset is on the Scott Ross youtube channel if people want to sample it first :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kWjf8pvAbBdQbpDYfS04p7vNT9QU7DCHw
Olivier

Mookalafalas

Peter, are you still around?? I'm very curious about your feelings regarding the Palliard box.  Did it just go onto the shelf, or have you been delving deeply?
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 15, 2019, 12:34:06 AM
Peter, are you still around?? I'm very curious about your feelings regarding the Palliard box.  Did it just go onto the shelf, or have you been delving deeply?

Oh, I'm still here, just busy with work so I don't post much right now. :)
Yes, I'm probably about 15 discs in. It is an interesting journey. Sound quality is a bit boxy so far (1950s) and the recordings are of course not in the HIP realm, but it is quite enjoyable. So far it would not be my first choice to really "listen" to a work, but great to explore with (if that makes any sense). Are you listening to it as well or are you pondering the enterprise? Impressions?

Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on November 17, 2019, 09:26:45 PM
Oh, I'm still here, just busy with work so I don't post much right now. :)
Yes, I'm probably about 15 discs in. It is an interesting journey. Sound quality is a bit boxy so far (1950s) and the recordings are of course not in the HIP realm, but it is quite enjoyable. So far it would not be my first choice to really "listen" to a work, but great to explore with (if that makes any sense). Are you listening to it as well or are you pondering the enterprise? Impressions?
I ended up not getting it. I saw it at my local shop, but when I went back with cash in my pocket, it was gone. I took it as an omen, and haven't pursued it--although I still think about it from time to time...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 18, 2019, 04:59:25 AM
  I ended up not getting it. I saw it at my local shop, but when I went back with cash in my pocket, it was gone. I took it as an omen, and haven't pursued it--although I still think about it from time to time...

Ah, a temptation out of sight!  I got it from Amazon.fr as they had a decent price at the time. :)
Anna Lappé

André

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 18, 2019, 04:59:25 AM

That's the spirit! When I miss on an item I covet, I just shrug it off as it was not meant to be. Another temptation is waiting around the corner  >:D