Author Topic: Box Blather  (Read 260095 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
Re: Box Blather
« Reply #1120 on: May 26, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
Levine/Chicago was released around the time of Dutoit/Montreal and got rather overshadowed - not wholly fairly I would say.  Personally I would take "Petersplanets" with a big pinch of salt.  Just because a guy is fixated on a work doesn't mean he has special insight - Kaplan/Mahler 2 springs to mind!!!  Quite often he references flaws (tuning/ensemble/splits) which I literally cannot hear - and I'm picky!  It feels like he's saying stuff for the sake of finding something to say......

This is quite an astute opinion. I, too, took Peter’s Planets list with a grain of salt. For example, he ranked Mehta/LA Phil. in the #11 spot? This is in my ‘Top 3’! Anyway, this just proves your point. Also, the fact that Dutoit is his favorite also caused me to fluff off his rankings. I agree that a fixation on one work doesn’t make one an expert, but I don’t think Peter ever claimed to be, but it does make me wonder if he’s bothered to listen to Holst’s other works? If not, then I think he’s done a great disservice to the composer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:07:18 PM by Mirror Image »
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1121 on: May 26, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »
I guess I fall in the middle...PPP has heard way more planets than I have and he's a valuable resource in that way, and his bottom 10 are probably safe to skip, but obviously different people have different taste. Like any review. I know to skip Dutoit because of a personal dislike for 80s Decca sound quality.

Don't understand at all how a project focused on one work is a disservice to a composer's other music. Maybe someone else should make an Egdon Heath website!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #1122 on: May 26, 2021, 05:50:16 PM »
Don't understand at all how a project focused on one work is a disservice to a composer's other music. Maybe someone else should make an Egdon Heath website!

If you put an intense amount of focus into one work, especially of the magnitude of Holst’s The Planets, which has a ridiculous amount of recordings anyway, you’ve done this composer a disservice because this is exactly the work that has eclipsed his other output. You don’t have to be a Holst expert to make this comment as it has cursed him since every Tom, Dick and Harry has decided to make a recording of it. To be honest, as awesome as The Planets is, it’s not one of Holst’s best works, IMHO.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich